Sponsored

How deep is too deep to water ford with factory air intake?

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
I have my JL Sahara lifted 3.5".

But I am curious - some of the forest roads I was on yesterday had puddles like I've never seen in my life - the water was up almost to about the bottom of the Jeep.

Every weekend I'm encountering situation like this with rivers overflowing onto forest roads etc.

Then add to that that sometimes I'll go through water that's deep at a decent clip and it's like a tsunami...

I've been looking at the Rugged Ridge Amfib - mounting just up on the cowl, not the snorkel...

But - what sort of water would you routinely need to drive throughto make you think about changing your air intake?
Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
There is a decal with dimensions on it on the inside of your tailgate. I believe it shows you it’s water fording depth.

Aside from the snorkel/air intake, there are other things you can extend like the breathers for the axles, etc. if you need to go deeper.

Last edited:
OP
OP
McGilli

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is a decal with dimension on it on the inseide of your tailgate. I believe it shows you it’s water fording depth.
Ahhh the decal I've seen every day but never actually looked at closely :CWL:

I'll check that out, thanks!

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
Also, think about all the electronic stuff. I know the connectors are pretty tight but I wouldn’t want to get too deep and pay for the damage

Sponsored

WrnglrJL

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
LEO
Jeep Wrangler JL How deep is too deep to water ford with factory air intake? EECB8ECA-7AFA-4973-BC76-64460CD81B08
Jeep Wrangler JL How deep is too deep to water ford with factory air intake? 58B8A7DB-EB95-4D79-92B0-B57ED8050B14
Speaking from experience I went through about 3 feet of water and I was perfectly fine with 2” mopar lift and 35’s , a rule of thumb would be water up to the bottom of the headlights max

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
Something that really matters is your axle breather tubes. It will only be as high as they are. Moving all the breathers to be in the engine bay up at near the same height as the intake will increase fording ability.

Sponsored

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
I have my JL Sahara lifted 3.5".

But I am curious - some of the forest roads I was on yesterday had puddles like I've never seen in my life - the water was up almost to about the bottom of the Jeep.

Every weekend I'm encountering situation like this with rivers overflowing onto forest roads etc.

Then add to that that sometimes I'll go through water that's deep at a decent clip and it's like a tsunami...

I've been looking at the Rugged Ridge Amfib - mounting just up on the cowl, not the snorkel...

But - what sort of water would you routinely need to drive throughto make you think about changing your air intake?
Old school rule of thumb for standing or low flow rate water crossing depths: Up to the TOP of you front tire.

OP
OP
McGilli

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just went and had a look:

Jeep Wrangler JL How deep is too deep to water ford with factory air intake? IMG_9770

PA-Punkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, 2012 BMW 328 Wagon, 2002 BMW 330 Cabrio
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Something that really matters is your axle breather tubes. It will only be as high as they are. Moving all the breathers to be in the engine bay up at near the same height as the intake will increase fording ability.
Jeep Wrangler JL How deep is too deep to water ford with factory air intake? 20201127_114142

If you're installing a snorkel, consider routing the breather extensions into it. Pictured you can see the transmission breather extended into the duct. The diff breathers are extended into the air box.

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
Jeep Wrangler JL How deep is too deep to water ford with factory air intake? 20201127_114142

If you're installing a snorkel, consider routing the breather extensions into it. Pictured you can see the transmission breather extended into the duct. The diff breathers are extended into the air box.
Precisely. That's a nice setup!