Sponsored

How capable are the ROAM body mount side steps?

Dongworth

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon (JL)
Occupation
Systems Engineers
Vehicle Showcase
Question about how capable the ROAM side steps are vs the stock Rubicon rock rails? I'm asking because we bought a low mileage JLUR, and the previous owner had swapped the mopar rock rails out for body mounted ROAM side steps. If it had been me, I would've gotten the ROAM frame mounted rock sliders/rails, however, it was already done before we bought it.

So, back to the original question - are the ROAM body mounted side steps at least as strong as the oem rock sliders? We not planning on rock crawling frequently, however, if the occasion arises, I don't want to step BACK in capability.

Thanks!

-DW
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Question about how capable the ROAM side steps are vs the stock Rubicon rock rails? I'm asking because we bought a low mileage JLUR, and the previous owner had swapped the mopar rock rails out for body mounted ROAM side steps. If it had been me, I would've gotten the ROAM frame mounted rock sliders/rails, however, it was already done before we bought it.

So, back to the original question - are the ROAM body mounted side steps at least as strong as the oem rock sliders? We not planning on rock crawling frequently, however, if the occasion arises, I don't want to step BACK in capability.

Thanks!

-DW
I’d increase the gap if they are tucked up against the body Incase they do move a bit. I like them and think they are nice but accept the fact they are steps and not rails.

Check with roam, they have a path to upgrade to the frame mounted rails.

Brett

OP
OP
Dongworth

Dongworth

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon (JL)
Occupation
Systems Engineers
Vehicle Showcase
*sigh* Ok. I figured so much. I actually emailed them a few days ago, but haven't heard back. I've heard good information about their customer service, but they don't even have a listed phone number.

We'll see if they respond, but I'm guessing their path to "upgrading" to the frame mounted rails consists of just purchasing the rock sliders outright. It's a shame, because I love the look, but the added protection is important to me.

I've actually got their front bumper too, which the previous owner had also installed, and have some questions about mounting a winch to it, so hopefully getting a response won't be too difficult. I'm guessing they're not a huge shop, so maybe they're closed up for the week due to the holiday.

EDIT: I may actually eat my words on the "upgrade" portion, as I was reading that they were coming out with a kit, but I'm not sure if it's actually out yet. Anyway, fingers crossed.

Last edited:

okie dokie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
*sigh* Ok. I figured so much. I actually emailed them a few days ago, but haven't heard back. I've heard good information about their customer service, but they don't even have a listed phone number.

We'll see if they respond, but I'm guessing their path to "upgrading" to the frame mounted rails consists of just purchasing the rock sliders outright. It's a shame, because I love the look, but the added protection is important to me.

I've actually got their front bumper too, which the previous owner had also installed, and have some questions about mounting a winch to it, so hopefully getting a response won't be too difficult. I'm guessing they're not a huge shop, so maybe they're closed up for the week due to the holiday.

EDIT: I may actually eat my words on the "upgrade" portion, as I was reading that they were coming out with a kit, but I'm not sure if it's actually out yet. Anyway, fingers crossed.

If they email you back, update the thread please. Looking for any Roam CSR with a pulse.

OP
OP
Dongworth

Dongworth

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon (JL)
Occupation
Systems Engineers
Vehicle Showcase
I should've checked my spam filter. It looks like I got an email back from them (Anthony) the day after I emailed them, which is awesome, but I'm a little annoyed it took me this long to search my spam folder. lol

Ok, so here's his response: "The side armor steps will hold up to more damage than the stock rails for sure. These were meant to have the functionality of steps and to be used for light rock crawling. Our other more rails are frame mounted and customers would rather choose those for rock crawling."

I asked him about the upgrade kit going frame mounted, so I'll wait for his response, and see what he says.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dongworth

Dongworth

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon (JL)
Occupation
Systems Engineers
Vehicle Showcase
So, I guess I was right, unfortunately, after all. Apparently, the "upgrade kits" were only available to people who had purchased the steps before the rails came out. So, in a sense, yeah, i guess their suggested "upgrade path" is to buy all new rails. I would've been SUPER happy if I could've purchased an upgrade kit, so it's a little puzzling that they're not even available.

Unfortunately for both me and them, that decision puts me in a position to possibly reevaluate the whole item if or when the time comes to it. While I personally like the look of them, the wife is torn, and furthermore, the only thing tying me to ROAM was the fact that it was preinstalled when I purchased the vehicle. I may just leave them on there until or unless I find a need for something more sturdy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dongworth

Dongworth

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon (JL)
Occupation
Systems Engineers
Vehicle Showcase
So, I figured I'd just give an update as to my dealings with ROAM. I've actually had numerous interactions with people over there helping me get my front bumper sorted out (also installed by the previous owner) and they've been great people to work with. Quick to respond and helpful in getting certain issues identified.

Anyway, I didn't feel the need to open a new thread. Just an update as to my feedback in dealing with them.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is no way to upgrade the current body mount to frame mount with additional hardware. The frame mounted ones have 4 spots for brackets vs the 3 spots on the body mount. I don’t want to speak on their behalf for pricing but it’s very attractive for those in the position to do so.

Glad you heard back from them. Anthony does his best to respond to everyone in a timely manner

Brett

MDG

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
There is no way to upgrade the current body mount to frame mount with additional hardware. The frame mounted ones have 4 spots for brackets vs the 3 spots on the body mount. I don’t want to speak on their behalf for pricing but it’s very attractive for those in the position to do so.

Glad you heard back from them. Anthony does his best to respond to everyone in a timely manner

Brett
Interesting how he responds to questions but ask about post sale support when his products rust after 6 months and you get nothing. Now a year later and I may just end up throwing mine body mounted steps in the scrap pile there getting so bad. Inner components are clearly going to be completely gone before too long.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting how he responds to questions but ask about post sale support when his products rust after 6 months and you get nothing. Now a year later and I may just end up throwing mine body mounted steps in the scrap pile there getting so bad. Inner components are clearly going to be completely gone before too long.
I might’ve missed something but what are you talking about?

What I’m getting is yours are rusting? Have you contacted Anthony and if so, what was their reply. From what I’ve seen they will credit some money to get them repowdercoated on a case by case basis

Brett

Sponsored

trailchaser

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
I might’ve missed something but what are you talking about?

What I’m getting is yours are rusting? Have you contacted Anthony and if so, what was their reply. From what I’ve seen they will credit some money to get them repowdercoated on a case by case basis

Brett
He may have bought before they changed their power coat

JLJeepGuy513

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, 2016 Pathfinder
Occupation
Civil Engineering Designer
Whoa! credit for rusting steps? i must have missed that! I've had the steps since they first came out and mine are rusting bad! When i first noticed the rust (about a year ago) i was told that I was the first to mention this to him. He told me to get a can of spray paint and paint it. smh...... How do i go about getting a credit? you think in lieu of the credit, i could get a discount on the front bumper? Other than the rusting, the steps are awesome!

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whoa! credit for rusting steps? i must have missed that! I've had the steps since they first came out and mine are rusting bad! When i first noticed the rust (about a year ago) i was told that I was the first to mention this to him. He told me to get a can of spray paint and paint it. smh...... How do i go about getting a credit? you think in lieu of the credit, i could get a discount on the front bumper? Other than the rusting, the steps are awesome!
Email Anthony with pics and go from there.

Brett
Sponsored