Not open for further replies.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
It is best you get a buy-back and go get something else. A Jeep JL will never drive and steer as well as something with rack and pinion and modern IRS. This is the compromise we accept to get a competent off road vehicle.

It is true that FCA has some quality issues but even when those are addressed it still won't steer like a Honda, so no point going to the frustration to get those issues resolved to still be unhappy. Get a buy back and move on, life's too short to drive something you hate.
I started saving for a Jeep JL a few months ago. I am going into this with my eyes wide open. I have learnt about the weaknesses and the measures that I can take to minimize them.

I am not expecting my Jeep to drive like my current vehicle. The technology is different. The design goals are different. I want a Jeep because there are places I want to go, that I can't go with a regular street car. I understand the compromise.

It is clear that FCA has quality issues. Will they be able to fix them? I am not sure.

On no... Don't do this. I have the flu. It hurts when I laugh too hard.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I believe this steering issue is a serious matter, and FCA needs to address it. But the OP lost me with that 4” lift: that’s a LOT of lift, especially on a JL.

Good luck convincing FCA, fellow owners, and a judge, that his mods are not partly or wholly responsible for any of this.

PS - for its part, FCA needs to grow up and stop parading heavily modified Jeeps with big lifts and 40” tires at industry events as if there were no side-effects to these mods.

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
LOL, welcome to the forums

I modified my Jeep then it broke. Jeep sucks

OMG

Sponsored

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
All vehicles are DEATH TRAPS.

Did you turn it off and on again?

Do make sure that you remembered to install the tie rod.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
All vehicles are DEATH TRAPS.

Did you turn it off and on again?

Do make sure that you remembered to install the tie rod.
Tie rods? Na, just stretch some bungee cords back and forth in an "X" and you should be good...

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
Tie rods? Na, just stretch some bungee cords back and forth in an "X" and you should be good...
FCA is a SHIT company for making us upgrade to the obviously superior bungie cord X-treme steering when they could just include it from the factory!!!

Sponsored

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
OP is a 20 yr jet engine mechanic but can't crawl under the Jeep and conduct basic mechanical troubleshooting. If the wheels only turn 7-10 degrees with a full steering wheel turn, then the failure would be blatantly obvious with even a cursory inspection
A mechanic title does not make a good mechanic. Not related to this thread, nor the OP whom I do not know in person, but some mechanics can only work by the book. I.e. if A does not work, check X, or do follow "do this, do that" guidelines. Think out of the box, perform random troubleshooting, come up with a solution, and fix it, that's not something all are good at to say the least...

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I'm a bit skeptical too after reading about the bigger wheels/tires and lift. From my other Jeeps I've noticed that tire tread pattern can make a big difference in terms of 'shimmy/wobble' and that would be my first suspect. Cured with an aftermarket steering stabilizer. (he says donning his flame retardant suit).

If it drove like that off the lot stock then yeah there is a serious problem and it should have gone back and been fixed or at least documented. Now with the modifications FCA can easily point to them and say, 'there is your problem'.

OP
OP

2018DeathTrap

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler sport unlimited
I get it, you all love you jeeps - i like my jeep as well - and i also understand that things break as stated earlier - i just do not want to be told as many others have that nothing is wrong by the dealership - i would like it fixed - they need to acknowledge the issue exists and take ownership of the faulty steering and provide a real fix.

Hi Buckster, i do note that you did read my post thoroughly based upon your response thanks for that - -
Buy back - yea your probably right - probably not going to happen...willingly...
Steering locks and still drives - yes, I had to get it off the mountain - after excessive force to turn it breaks free as stated by many other owners... Steering dampener - I took it in for the steering locking up and that is what they changed - note; it did not fix the issue...
7-10 degrees - it was inspected by two shops (not jeep) and neither could find the exact issue and is currently at the Jeep dealership and i will add they have reached out to one of the shops i refer to here to see what they might have found. best thought - it is probably a bad or going bad steering box??? that's all i can come up with. its the only thing i can think of to cause the issues
Jet engine mechanic - yes - many years ago - and now i can afford for someone else to do the crawling. LOL

i can get over the wobble it has been very minor for me (i can control the jeep) and the drift i believe it is better now after the last service and the new dampener.
However, the other two issues are not acceptable, period - they are in fact Life Threatening and i will not drive the jeep until it is fixed.

i guess more than anything - i am worked up over the likely potential that the issues will get blown off by FCA service because the cant duplicate the issues - they are intermittent

And finally - i am not looking for the jeep to drive like a luxury car - but it needs to be safe.

Hi Toycrusher
And if i find my self going over a mountain side with a stuck steering wheel...mmm I guess 757 was significant...to me!

So to all of you out there - are there any good (really good) aftermarket steering systems available for the 2018 JL that can be recommended - we actually do like the jeep and if the dealership cant come up with something as the fix - maybe we can find some kind competition steering upgrade???

Thanks for your comments.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
I believe this steering issue is a serious matter, and FCA needs to address it.
Where is the incentive? FCA has been selling record numbers of Jeeps. If it becomes a legal issue or if people stop buying Jeeps, maybe...

Right now the financial incentive is with the after market suppliers. Jeep owners have been purchasing after market parts to correct these and other issues.

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Let's see...Tom makes a new account yesterday with the name 2018 Death Trap and the post has several things that don't pass the sniff test. It's a 2018 that has been modified with a 4" lift and 35s but wants Jeep to buy it back?!? Steering locks unexpectedly but OP continues to drive it and wheel it. Says Jeep replaced the steering damper to fix steering lock??? OP is a 20 yr jet engine mechanic but can't crawl under the Jeep and conduct basic mechanical troubleshooting. If the wheels only turn 7-10 degrees with a full steering wheel turn, then the failure would be blatantly obvious with even a cursory inspection.
A lot reference to risk of death.....lol @GreyFox for "drama llama".

Oh, and it's muscle....
bonjour.jpg
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.