Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I read about a guy who had a 2019 Sport. It blew up, like a nuclear explosion, killed dozens of people and left a huge smoking crater.

Please excuse me. Am nursing a wicked cold. I am not minimizing others problems, but I too have a few issues with the original post.
Sponsored

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
You forgot " sell it and get a Prius":like:
New Years day my TJ wouldn't start ... again. That was the last straw, had been in the market for a new fuel efficient vehicle, and that got me off my behind ... went out yesterday and for 14 grand bought a new Kia, lol.

Still considering a JLU this spring but dang, 14 grand compared to 33+ grand for a base JLU, which is still just a ladder frame live axle rig, gives me pause. SUV and JLU prices are so over the top these days.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I get it, you all love you jeeps - i like my jeep as well - and i also understand that things break as stated earlier - i just do not want to be told as many others have that nothing is wrong by the dealership - i would like it fixed - they need to acknowledge the issue exists and take ownership of the faulty steering and provide a real fix.

Hi Buckster, i do note that you did read my post thoroughly based upon your response thanks for that - -
Buy back - yea your probably right - probably not going to happen...willingly...
Steering locks and still drives - yes, I had to get it off the mountain - after excessive force to turn it breaks free as stated by many other owners... Steering dampener - I took it in for the steering locking up and that is what they changed - note; it did not fix the issue...
7-10 degrees - it was inspected by two shops (not jeep) and neither could find the exact issue and is currently at the Jeep dealership and i will add they have reached out to one of the shops i refer to here to see what they might have found. best thought - it is probably a bad or going bad steering box??? that's all i can come up with. its the only thing i can think of to cause the issues
Jet engine mechanic - yes - many years ago - and now i can afford for someone else to do the crawling. LOL

i can get over the wobble it has been very minor for me (i can control the jeep) and the drift i believe it is better now after the last service and the new dampener.
However, the other two issues are not acceptable, period - they are in fact Life Threatening and i will not drive the jeep until it is fixed.

i guess more than anything - i am worked up over the likely potential that the issues will get blown off by FCA service because the cant duplicate the issues - they are intermittent

And finally - i am not looking for the jeep to drive like a luxury car - but it needs to be safe.

Hi Toycrusher
And if i find my self going over a mountain side with a stuck steering wheel...mmm I guess 757 was significant...to me!

So to all of you out there - are there any good (really good) aftermarket steering systems available for the 2018 JL that can be recommended - we actually do like the jeep and if the dealership cant come up with something as the fix - maybe we can find some kind competition steering upgrade???

Thanks for your comments.
Please excuse my previous sarcastic comments. I TRULY hope you find a solution to this! Please know that your issues go way beyond the steering issues reported by the majority that have them. Your situation is unique.

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Please excuse my previous sarcastic comments. I TRULY hope you find a solution to this! Please know that your issues go way beyond the steering issues reported by the majority that have them. Your situation is unique.
You must be on some really good cold meds my friend....that almost sounded like you cared!
Haha, I know I’m an asshole

Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
You must be on some really good cold meds my friend....that almost sounded like you cared!
Haha, I know I’m an asshole
Dude. I’m drinking Southern Comfort to nurse my cold - need I say more? I too am an asshole, but I DO try to reign it in! ;)

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Dude. I’m drinking Southern Comfort to nurse my cold - need I say more? I too am an asshole, but I DO try to reign it in! ;)
By the way, I used that “hurt feelings report” while active duty. It’s been around for years! Also, there was a fake manual made for “Wall to Wall Counseling.” It’s rather old school, but hilarious!

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
For those who are interested, especially my current and prior service brothers and sisters - Wall to Wall Counseling http://www.ncoer.com/wall.htm

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
We'll, this has gone from bad to worse! It is kind of like the windshield posts tho, if I say anything on that post my windshield may crack! Here I'm afraid if I say something the FCA Gremlins in my front end will start acting up! I only experienced a death wobble in the bone stock form on Blubikong.

Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
We'll, this has gone from bad to worse! It is kind of like the windshield posts tho, if I say anything on that post my windshield may crack! Here I'm afraid if I say something the FCA Gremlins in my front end will start acting up! I only experienced a death wobble in the bone stock form on Blubikong.
You know, I used to worry about jinxing myself too. But today I drove over the Skyway in FL with a high wind warning. I had zero problems keeping my Jeep in my lane. If anything, it was better than my FJ Cruiser was - and it had IFS on the front.

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
You know, I used to worry about jinxing myself too. But today I drove over the Skyway in FL with a high wind warning. I had zero problems keeping my Jeep in my lane. If anything, it was better than my FJ Cruiser was - and it had IFS on the front.
I completely ruined a '94 Nissan Pathfinder lifting it and messing with IFS. It was not safe when I got done with it. All others have been solid axles. Chevy, Toyota and 2 older Jeeps with smallblock Chevy engines. 86 and 87. With the power they put out, short wheelbase and narrow wheel track-THEY WERE DEATH TRAPS. This Jeep now is the most capable, dependable and comfortable of any 4x4 I've ever had.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I completely ruined a '94 Nissan Pathfinder lifting it and messing with IFS. It was not safe when I got done with it. All others have been solid axles. Chevy, Toyota and 2 older Jeeps with smallblock Chevy engines. 86 and 87. With the power they put out, short wheelbase and narrow wheel track-THEY WERE DEATH TRAPS. This Jeep now is the most capable, dependable and comfortable of any 4x4 I've ever had.
I only plan on doing a 2.5” lift eventually, with an experienced 4x4 shop where I know the owner and the mechanic. I think a small lift with solid axle and zero steering issues is far safer than an IFS lift. If you think I am wrong, please let me know!

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I believe this steering issue is a serious matter, and FCA needs to address it. But the OP lost me with that 4” lift: that’s a LOT of lift, especially on a JL.

Good luck convincing FCA, fellow owners, and a judge, that his mods are not partly or wholly responsible for any of this.

PS - for its part, FCA needs to grow up and stop parading heavily modified Jeeps with big lifts and 40” tires at industry events as if there were no side-effects to these mods.
Lol. 4" of lift is a lot? The size of the lift really had no bearing on this issue. A well engineered lift installed properly can perform better than stock. While this particular lift (we don't know what it is or who installed it) could be a contributing factor, I wouldn't just make a blanket statement like you did. I'm on a 3.5" lift with 37"tires and it performs flawlessly on road and off.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
I agree that the steering isn't like a Porsche. However, how many sports cars do you know of that have TEN settings on the Heated Steering Wheel? Thanks, FCA, for a great cold weather package!
cold weather package.jpg
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.