Sponsored

How can people afford all the vehicles they list in their profile?

OP
OP
nerubi

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'm thinking about moving to Newark, New Jersey. The mayor says he is going to give everyone there $1,000 a month, no work required. Only problem is it is in Newark.
Sponsored

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
My sister had a kid. Therefore, she sold her Trans Am to me for $4-5k less than what it was worth at the time. So some of us just get lucky.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Shiiiit, I can barely afford my two vics. Hence, stock Rubicon for a while.

Part of the reason I’m so broke is because I’m investing and putting away so much money, so I’m okay with it. The other reason is my other half.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
I just pay cash and keep em, buy once, cry once. Problem is most people buy new car keep 5/6 years, trade in at 10% on dollar, take a new loan, rinse and repeat.

Smarter way is to buy some cheap cars, burn up the cheap ones on your commute and use as winter $hitbox. keep your toys off the road for winter, learn how to do maintenance. System is rigged to keep people consuming. Buy the nice toys and keep a long time, always buying and trading every few years keeps you in the poor house. I just turned 180K miles on my winter PT GT turbo, had it 16 years, bought it used back in 04. Slapped a MP puter, blow off valve, and drive away, put 227 WHP and 265WTQ on the dyno, fun and cheap car, so glad people hate PT's grabbed a few more convertibles, drive them every day depending on season. Allows me to buy SRT and Wranglers as toys, works for me.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't cost much to lease, or a loan...

Some people are wealthy others pretend to be.....
Reminds me of a country song with the old man "who could buy your fancy car with $100 bills"

People can appear to have money and really have $100k in credit card debt. There are people who live modestly and have $100k in cash in their savings account.

Sponsored

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
My Rubicon is the first expensive car I have ever bought. My daily driver for 65 miles a day round trip to work is a 08 scion xb with over 200000 miles and going strong. Most dependable low maintenance car I've ever owned.

The old two I have listed were my grandparents cars and just held on to. They are still pristine, the 69 oldsmobile has only 52000 miles and the 66 f100 a little over 100000.

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
The XJ has been around a long time and not going anywhere and the 686 xb just got sold. Didn't want to but to many cars to park.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I was taking with a guy that works at a Cadillac dealership and he stated that about 80% of the Cadillacs were bought with cash....meaning not financed.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Some people show they own vehicles totalling $100,000 to $250,000 or more in their profile. They must be Warren Buffet or Jay Leno relatives because although I'm retired and had high paying professions I don't think I could comfortably afford that much in transportation. And where to keep them? I guess I am either poor or too frugal (my kids call it cheap and that I should spend my money now instead of saving it for them and my grandkids). I guess they can't be Warren Buffet's kids, he still lives in the modest house in Omaha he bought like 40 years ago. But he probably has 2 or 3 vacation homes somewhere else.
There's another way. Older age helps and expenses are a factor. A guy making half what I make but with 0, 1, or even 2 kids can probably afford more than me. I have 9 kids and require lots of $$ to raise them, so I can't spend too much on cars, although I did with this JL. I'll be keeping it like Cubans keep Chevys, though. Once these boogers are out of the house, I'll feel financially rich!

Keep this in mind. There are people with incredible amounts of money who are very unhappy, and are unable to buy their way out of it. If you are able to be content with what you make and have, you have good health, love in your life, and have hope, then you are rich beyond measure, even if you can't afford a nice car or Jeep.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'm thinking about moving to Newark, New Jersey. The mayor says he is going to give everyone there $1,000 a month, no work required. Only problem is it is in Newark.
Of course, you'll work there and get the hell taxed out of you and wind up with less than $1,000 left over each month so that he can do that.

Sponsored

Kevin’s Rubi

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired flight test engineer
There's another way. Older age helps and expenses are a factor. A guy making half what I make but with 0, 1, or even 2 kids can probably afford more than me. I have 9 kids and require lots of $$ to raise them, so I can't spend too much on cars, although I did with this JL. I'll be keeping it like Cubans keep Chevys, though. Once these boogers are out of the house, I'll feel financially rich!

Keep this in mind. There are people with incredible amounts of money who are very unhappy, and are unable to buy their way out of it. If you are able to be content with what you make and have, you have good health, love in your life, and have hope, then you are rich beyond measure, even if you can't afford a nice car or Jeep.
Spot on!

cohocarl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Honda Passport, '18 Crosstrek, '16 Cherokee
My biggest issue is insurance, there are only two of us in the household with clean records and being over the age of 35 we still pay just over $500 a month for all the rides.
I had to look over and see where you were from. I thought you were probably from Michigan like I am. Most insane insurance requirements & costs in the United States of America. Our no-fault laws, and MCCA (Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association) tacks on an additional $220/year for EACH vehicle you own...not per driver...per vehicle.
And get this...if you own a motorcycle here in MI, you pay the $220/year but you aren't covered for the MCCA insurance you are forced to pay for.
I wish we could file rape charges against the insurance companies, and the lawmakers who won't change it.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
I’m simply a redneck with money. I only keep two cars at a time but I buy, sell, trade fairly often. I could pay cash but I choose to finance. My stocks make a lot more money than the interest payments.

nametaken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited, 2018 Dodge Challenger
Doesn't cost much to lease, or a loan...

Some people are wealthy others pretend to be.....
We do a mix of lease and purchase depending on if they are leasing well, plus I go through cars like crazy.
I told my wife on the first date that I will always have a car payment, and I have...
some people spend money on vacations, bowling, booze, jewelry, etc etc we enjoy cars.

However I will say i ran across someone that had a Lamborghini and they told me everyone thinks you are rich when you have a car like that, but all you need is good credit "That's the American way right?" they were foreigners too I may add ;)

caged

First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1949 CJ3a 90XJ 00XJ 97TJ 18JLR
i just don't get rid of any of my other jeeps. well, i actually sold two to help with down payment on my rubicon. this is my first brand new vehicle.
Sponsored