Sponsored

How can I tell if my Sahara has the limited slip rear axle?

stewartld

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
The thread title says is all....
Sponsored

StingGrayRhino

First Name
Eliez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara
Are you taking about the anti-spin differential? You mean aside from it being on your sticker? Like how do you test it?

Jeep1967

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JL, 2008 Sahara JK, 2000 Sport TJ, 1995 Sport YJ
The thread title says is all....
Jack both rear wheels off the ground. Put transmission in neutral. Rotate one wheel forward with your hand. Watch other side’s wheel. If other side moves forward also, you have limited slip. If other side moves opposite way, you don’t have limited slip.

Sponsored

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4dr Rubicon, 2005 Turbo Silverado, 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland
Do it the fun way. Brake torque it and do a burn out. One wheel wonder = no limited slip.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Did your Jeep come with All Terrain tires or All Seasons? Limited slip diff equipped Jeeps come with All Terrains.

OP
OP
stewartld

stewartld

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
The limited slip diff isn't an option in France for some reason (it is elsewhere in Europe) so I don't know whether it's not an option because it's standard or it's just not available...

StingGrayRhino

First Name
Eliez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara
If it's not on the sheet as an addon then you don't have it. Jeep isn't giving anything away for free, I can guarantee you that.

Ok so now have a question about the Anti-spin. I thought the anti-spin means if you loose traction in one tire it cuts power to that tire and puts the power into the other 3?

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
If it's not on the sheet as an addon then you don't have it. Jeep isn't giving anything away for free, I can guarantee you that.

Ok so now have a question about the Anti-spin. I thought the anti-spin means if you loose traction in one tire it cuts power to that tire and puts the power into the other 3?
The limited slip differential is only on the rear axle. When one wheel slips in the back there is an automatic clutch that partially locks the axle and sends power to the other wheel. Up front is still an open differential, so you're relying on traction control there.

StingGrayRhino

First Name
Eliez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara
The limited slip differential is only on the rear axle. When one wheel slips in the back there is an automatic clutch that partially locks the axle and sends power to the other wheel. Up front is still an open differential, so you're relying on traction control there.
So you're saying in 4WD if one rear wheel slips it sends power to the other rear wheel?

OP
OP
stewartld

stewartld

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
There are a lot of things which are options in the US which come as standard fitting here

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Jack both rear wheels off the ground. Put transmission in neutral. Rotate one wheel forward with your hand. Watch other side’s wheel. If other side moves forward also, you have limited slip. If other side moves opposite way, you don’t have limited slip.
This is the best and easiest way to check, period.

OP
OP
stewartld

stewartld

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Thanks all...I was kind of hoping there was some simple label or physical external physical difference but I guess not...I'll have ot jack it up....
Sponsored