Sponsored

How can I quiet or reduce the ticking lifter noise on a 3.6 at start up?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Use only 0W-20.

You can always start the engine in flood mode when it has been shut down long enough to drain dry. Hold the gas pedal all the way to the floor while starting, then release when you feel like it has been long enough.

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
I am sure you will find a million diverging opinions on switching to 5w20 on a JL 3.6L engine..

As a purely mental exercise, I think that perhaps if you allow the engine to run on the starter motor alone for a few seconds but without allowing the engine to start, it will cause enough oil to circulate and once you start the engine for real then you won't have the rattling sound..

How do you achieve such a procedure? I can think of a microcontroller system that manages power to the injectors.. and it detects when you try to start the engine, it disables power to the injectors for, let's say, 5 seconds.. and then enables power to injectors and allows the engine to run... I don't really know for how many seconds the JL computer tries to run the starter motor until it stops the attempt to start the engine.. that would be interesting to know... well, as I said earlier, this was just a mental exercise.. LOL

Here is one thread discussing 5w20 vs 0w20:

5w20 vs 0w20 | Jeep Wrangler Forums (JL / JLU) - Rubicon, Sahara, Sport, 4xe, 392 - JLwranglerforums.com

Sponsored

carlhenry

First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 wrangler jl 2.0
they rrrrrrrrrrr known for bad cams and lifters just had one fixed under warranty

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Actually.... without applying the brake, push button twice to run while buckling up, and once ready to go, press brake peddle and push the start button again to fire it up. it gives time for everything to prime up and I swear it's a lot more silent at start-up.

Sponsored

carlhenry

First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 wrangler jl 2.0
the main problem is cam wear it runs metal through the motor

OP
OP
Valpo Jeep

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
Actually.... without applying the brake, push button twice to run while buckling up, and once ready to go, press brake peddle and push the start button again to fire it up. it gives time for everything to prime up and I swear it's a lot more silent at start-up.

I will give that a try and see.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I will give that a try and see.
Don’t bother, the oil pump is engine driven, this does nothing.

I’ll rephrase my original response here.

Yes, this will smooth out the noise in startup, but what is really happening is all of the electronically actuated parts are starting up separately from the engine. The actual mechanical, damaging engine noise happens no matter what.

I recommend flood mode starts.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
When the 3.6 was redesigned to have ESS. Components of the engine were coated for the continual start and stops. This will absolutely help on dry start ups it’s basically its purpose. I would not switch to 5W 20 would stay with 0W 20. You can do your own research but there’s sensors and things in our jeep that work off temperature and viscosity and that changes when you change the weight of the oil. Stick with what the factory recommends 0W 20.
Sponsored