how can I flip the rearview mirror?

MikeJenkins

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I managed to get the joint from mirror to arm to come loose.. but couldn't put it back on..Now, what do I do?

20180605_182723.jpg
Man I don’t know why you guys are doing this - you won’t even be able to warranty work for that repair
Sponsored

laueddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon (Black - Hardtop)
Is not broken, just dont know the trick on how to put it back on ...

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I managed to get the joint from mirror to arm to come loose.. but couldn't put it back on..Now, what do I do?
You're going to need to pull the top roll bar covers on the Driver and Passenger side (4 Torx Screws each) plus each has body clips. You'll pull each towards the center of the Jeep.

Next, you'll need to remove the long plastic section above the windshield. That top piece is also held in by body clips. I don't believe it has any screws but scan the entire section just to be sure. To remove it, fold down the visors, and firmly pull the that top section towards the back of the Jeep and slightly downward. Be patient with it, and start pulling in the center of the driver's side section then work your way across.

This will give you access to the top center section that the mirror connects to. On mine, that center piece is also held up by body clips that you'll need to pull downward. I don't have the same mirror as you, though I've been in there while running my radar detector and firmly believe that's the only way you'll be able to gain access to the connector you need in order to re-install that mount. Best of luck!

laueddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Back together... after a long fight.. at least I know how to do it now...

laueddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ok, time to share: First of all, its unnecessary to remove the trim to put the mirror back on, but I did follow the video here which I found pretty easy to do.

However, putting it back on isn't as easy as it seems: Here is a link to the photos that someone else took. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-rear-view-mirror-kinda-low.4498/

the trick seems to be putting the mirror as close to the windshield side (further away from you) as you can while the mirror is facing the driver side, Then turn the mirror 90 degree back to the original position. (I am referring to the top part of the mirror (not the ball joint).

As far the ball join, it's matter of snapping it back on (need strong hand to force it back in.

Sponsored

Budagreg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2-Door Turbo, 2012 BMW 328i, 1999 Miata, 38' Fleetwood Expedition RV
Thanks!
That's going to be very helpful, IF I ever get my Jeep...

Zoobie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Would love if someone could make a video on how to do this correctly... interested in doing this, but seeing lots of failed attempts that has me nervous! :)

Zoobie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
So I flipped my mirror today... first off, the mirror is obviously designed to brake-away in the event of an accident where someone was to hit the mirror with their head for example. So the mirror popped off completely very easily.
When I went to flip it, there is a little tab inside that pops it out once you get to 90 degree's, so keep the pressure to it doesn't come out. If it pops out, it's a SERIOUS pain to get it back in. Getting the stem back in the roof proved to be very easy, but there is a trick to it... you need to turn the mirror, then twist it in. See this thread with instructions to get it back in: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rear-view-mirror-raise-height-mod.6391/
You do NOT need to pull the freedom panels or pull anything apart to get it back it... it simply snaps in with a twist.

Anyway... this mod is a little tricky, but don't freak out when everything comes apart and have patience when getting it back together.

Last edited:

ajasper6579

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 4-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Advertising
Just flipped the mirror. The mount arm did come off but once I read through this thread reinstalling both was pretty easy. That said, it was perhaps the most stressful 4 minutes of my week.

JC7

First Name
Jdog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
I can't get the ball joint back on. Any tricks to this?

Sponsored

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
Flipping the mirror upside down gives an extra 2" of visibility under the rear view mirror, as it hangs rather low on the wranglers already narrow windshield. Its an old YJ/ TJ/ JK thing, and still works on the JL. It does actually help a bit.
First thing I did when I got mine, lol.

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
upload_2019-2-26_14-34-3.png

MIssy flipped her mirror down. you should too!

SF Pacer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door JL Sport S
I have a 2018 2 door sport s with the base rearview mirror (no dimmer). I can confirm I was able to flip the mirror without removing it from the ball joint or without having to disconnect the stem. I had to be careful as I flipped it as it rubbed the housing above, but it went around. So much more visibility!!!

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Easy flip, on my JL Sport S. I'm 6'2" , and It helps a little, with front visibility. A smaller sized mirror would be even better.
Sponsored