First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR Hella Yella, 6 spd, loaded, Warn Zeon 10S, otherwise stock
Occupation
Trainer. Retired Navy Submarine Nuke
I just attempted flipping my mirror and regret it, but hopefully I’m doing something wrong.

I broke free the ball socket and the arm. I haven’t attempted to get the arm back in, but at least there’s some instruction for that. I tried for about 15 minutes to push the mirror back into the ball socket with absolutely not even a hint of luck. My hands and wrists are hurting.

Anyone? Any advice?

IMG_2340.JPG
I went through the same thing last night. Another way to get the mirror back on the socket is to pry open the mount housing, disconnect the wiring plug, and put the mirror face down on a clean, flat surface. Then you can easily apply enough force on the ball to pop it back in.

Another thing I discovered (may have been covered earlier in this thread, I haven’t read the whole thing) my mirror’s socket has a raised “key” on the inside that only allows a limited range of mirror adjustment. See the “cutout” portion of cjaama’s ball, which goes in the socket? If you try to flip the mirror, or just twist it too far, it pops out of the socket. I plan to grind that key down so I can adjust my mirror as I see fit.

Bee-Rad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
Came across this thread and went out to do this on my lunch break. 10 second easy job. Just pressed up on the windshield trim and spun it around. Mine is a Sport without any wiring or dimming on the mirror, so maybe those are easier? Forgot that I did this on my TJ and JKs. Big difference!

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Hasn't anyone noticed that the manual-dimming mirror, when upside down, makes everything look trippy? I think it's the polarization. I saw it right away, tried to live with it, but it was just too distracting... it's like I was driving away from Xanadu, all hazy and rainbows. I'm debating just pulling the whole arm off, cutting a bit out of the middle then re-attach the halves by drilling them out for some skinny all-thread and/or JB weld. I can't imagine why it's down so low to begin with.

Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
How can I flip the rearview mirror? Does it just pop off the ball mount? I'm feeling a fair amount of resistance and am scared I'll break something if I pull too hard.

Anyone done this yet?
@smuddy -- ;) since when has a Wrangler owner chosen the path of least resistance to accomplish something?

You want the mirror upside down, you turn the rig upside down.

jeepupsidedown.jpg

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
I know this thread is old but I tried this today. And my mirror only moved up about a quarter inch. Didn’t really help at all

GinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2018 Mojito! JLUR [GONE];
I know this thread is old but I tried this today. And my mirror only moved up about a quarter inch. Didn’t really help at all
Funny, I was about to bump the thread last week. I flipped mine earlier in the year and I like it...problem is the large spring clip around the ball socket popped out and I cannot get it back in (so lots of rattling). I have been to the dealer three times for the steering so figured to ask the dealer to pop it back on, however, they claim they have to disassemble everything (2+ hours work).

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get the spring reinstalled without dismantling everything around it? I thought some snap ring pliers may work but dont have any surprisingly enough. I do not have ACC.

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
Funny, I was about to bump the thread last week. I flipped mine earlier in the year and I like it...problem is the large spring clip around the ball socket popped out and I cannot get it back in (so lots of rattling). I have been to the dealer three times for the steering so figured to ask the dealer to pop it back on, however, they claim they have to disassemble everything (2+ hours work).

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get the spring reinstalled without dismantling everything around it? I thought some snap ring pliers may work but dont have any surprisingly enough. I do not have ACC.
All I did was put in in place and push it in with a screw driver working around in a circle. Mine did completely pop apart as well when I flipped it.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
This whole thread makes me think about who and how came up with this idea first? Kinda like, who was the first person who decided oysters were edible...? :LOL::CWL::LOL:
I suspect a driver not wearing their safety belt and who flipped their rig upside down. ;)

Sponsored

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Was there an answer to if this impacts the Auto Dim feature?

GinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was there an answer to if this impacts the Auto Dim feature?
I can confirm it did not mess with the auto dim feature on my mirror.

GinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All I did was put in in place and push it in with a screw driver working around in a circle. Mine did completely pop apart as well when I flipped it.
Thanks, I will give this a shot.

Cheers,

Tdurden032

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Just did this in about 20 seconds while waiting for my Walmart pickup - pushed up ever so slightly on the roof trim and rotated the mirror on around (180 degrees). The flip-down “dimmer” still works great, just at the top now, not the bottom... Now, hopefully it doesn’t come rocketing off at my face at the speed of sound if the passenger airbag ever has to deploy - lol.
Sponsored