First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F350 Platinum, Ignot Silver, 2019 Rubicon Unlimited, Billet Silver
Occupation
Oil & Gas Environmental Rep
Thanks for your opinions guys. I really appreciate it. I still can’t decide what to do.

Part of me says save the money and run 37’s, but... I really want to go bigger. Just have to decide if it’s worth it.
Sponsored

Unix_Gawd

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL (Firecracker Red); 2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew 4x4; 1951 Ford F4 Deluxe Extra Cab;
Thanks for your opinions guys. I really appreciate it. I still can’t decide what to do.

Part of me says save the money and run 37’s, but... I really want to go bigger. Just have to decide if it’s worth it.
I just came across this thread. If you still haven't decided this may help. I have been running 40" Cooper STT Pros w/5.13 Spicer gears for 9-10 months and have no issues. This is my weekend toy and I am easy on the pedal while offroad. I just returned from the Hot Springs OVR park last week and had no problems running the three BofH trails.

In the 80s I had a Toyota with 11.5" lift, 40" Fun Country, no upgraded gears, stock axles, 22R engine, etc. I hit every rice field in south TX. with no drivetrain issues. I know the DANA 44s are much stronger than those old Toyota axles/u-joints/etc.

However, I am planning to get some Currie 60s in the near future...…… :)

Kowboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C8,XKE,Wrangler JK, Wrangler JL, Camaro 2SS, etc.
I have a 19 MOAB JLU that I would like to take up to 40" tires on factory rims. No hard use. What is the minimum lift I will need while retaining stock fenders?
Thank you in advance.

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I have a 19 MOAB JLU that I would like to take up to 40" tires on factory rims. No hard use. What is the minimum lift I will need while retaining stock fenders?
Thank you in advance.
If you’re trying to keep it as low as possible, you may squeeze them on 2.5” of lift and split Rubicon flares.

I don’t see many go about a 37/38 on 2.5” lift, so 3.5” is likely a safer bet. No first hand experience, but I have a ton of room with factory Rubicon flares and 35’s on a 2.5” Metalcloak Gamechanger. The only difference between the 3.5” and 2.5” with Metalcloak is the springs if I need more room later.

Kowboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C8,XKE,Wrangler JK, Wrangler JL, Camaro 2SS, etc.
I just came across this thread. If you still haven't decided this may help. I have been running 40" Cooper STT Pros w/5.13 Spicer gears for 9-10 months and have no issues. This is my weekend toy and I am easy on the pedal while offroad. I just returned from the Hot Springs OVR park last week and had no problems running the three BofH trails.

In the 80s I had a Toyota with 11.5" lift, 40" Fun Country, no upgraded gears, stock axles, 22R engine, etc. I hit every rice field in south TX. with no drivetrain issues. I know the DANA 44s are much stronger than those old Toyota axles/u-joints/etc.

However, I am planning to get some Currie 60s in the near future...…… :)
I used to run Toyota 4x4 pickups with 40" tires back in the early 80s. Flipping the lid on the air cleaner was like night and day for performance! It just needed some air.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
39s on stock xr rubi axles. 4.56 gears and all. Will cruise all day long at 85mph, crawl trails like John Bull, Holcomb creek, and the rubicon with no issues, and cruise home like nothing. The ball joints needed replaced at 28k miles but everything else is still going strong at nearly 35k. Is it the best way to go about it? Nope. But if you're going to 60s eventually why wait to run the tires you want? You might break an axle shaft on the axles you are replacing anyway? I dont mind pushing the limits of what I s "recommend" knowing full well what the potential failures are and how to fix them.
Jeep Wrangler JL How Big of Tire Can I Run on Rubicon Axles 20240127_120621

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Been on 38s and KMC beadlocks for about 2 years. So far so good. But I definitely go easy on the skinny pedal in the rocks. I know that it's a fine line.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
39s on stock xr rubi axles. 4.56 gears and all. Will cruise all day long at 85mph, crawl trails like John Bull, Holcomb creek, and the rubicon with no issues, and cruise home like nothing. The ball joints needed replaced at 28k miles but everything else is still going strong at nearly 35k. Is it the best way to go about it? Nope. But if you're going to 60s eventually why wait to run the tires you want? You might break an axle shaft on the axles you are replacing anyway? I dont mind pushing the limits of what I s "recommend" knowing full well what the potential failures are and how to fix them.
20240127_120621.jpg
Zach, what do your tires measure at ride height, what psi ( daily drive) and what brand are they, thanks man….

Jeepn’

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
My buddy is in a JLU sport, stock axles and 37s. He’s done the rubicon a few times in it, so 40s on Dana 44s should be fine if you’re smart with the throttle.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Zach, what do your tires measure at ride height, what psi ( daily drive) and what brand are they, thanks man….
I think they were 37.75" when I measured at ride height but it's been awhile. 28 psi cold, comes up to about 30-31 driving on the freeway. Kanati mud hogs. They were like half the price of bfgs (not a lot of options in a 39). These tires impressed me enough on the JLUR that I know run the 37" variant on my JT Mojave.
20240216_131829.jpg
Sponsored