Sponsored

how big can you go with stock Rubicon wheels?

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
Hi guys! I'm really wanting to upgrade my tires but I'd like to keep the stock Rubicon wheels. Anyone here knows how big can you go with these wheels? I went to a local Jeep shop and the guy told me if I wanted 35s or 37s I needed new wheels... I doubt that's true. Any other modifications needed so I can keep stock wheels? I couldn't find any threads about this either.

Thanks for your inputs!
Sponsored

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Hi guys! I'm really wanting to upgrade my tires but I'd like to keep the stock Rubicon wheels. Anyone here knows how big can you go with these wheels? I went to a local Jeep shop and the guy told me if I wanted 35s or 37s I needed new wheels... I doubt that's true. Any other modifications needed so I can keep stock wheels? I couldn't find any threads about this either.

Thanks for your inputs!
You can put 35s with no lift on the Rubi, but you'll need at least a 2" lift for the 37s or they'll rub. Also, to fully flex there are some areas on the rear fender that you'll have to cut or remold or it'll rub.

You'll also need a spare tire extender if you go with 37s as they won't fit on the stock tire carrier.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
12.50 width max. Any height you want, assuming you've got the space to clear them.

sacourtney07

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
12.5” width will work. Many people do it. However, it is not a recommended size with a 7.5” wheel. I would go with a 35 inch tire in a narrower width.

Sponsored

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
12.5” width will work. Many people do it. However, it is not a recommended size with a 7.5” wheel. I would go with a 35 inch tire in a narrower width.
The stock Rubi wheel is 7.5"? That is thinner than I thought.

Was thinking it was 8 or 8.5".

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
OP
OP
jhonn236_AZ

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
thanks all - went with 315/12.50/17 Falken AT/3 on my stock wheels. Looks and drives awesome!

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL

Thanks for your inputs!
Here’s a thread on 37s

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/anyone-running-37s-on-stock-rubicon-wheels.4117/

JimmyDoom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
12.50 width max. Any height you want, assuming you've got the space to clear them.
Why do you say 12.50 width max? will they rub on the fenders?
I was thinking of getting 325/65/18 with a rim with a 18mm offset. Will this not work?
What would be the max tire I could get away with on a 18" rim on my stock JL Rubicon?

Sponsored

Cmcclain

First Name
Chantz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK Unlimited X. 2018 JL Unlimited Sport
Did you use spacers??? I’m about to do the exact same. How’s the ride been?

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
As JL JOURNAL : HOW TO Carry a 37" Spare Tire on a JL Wrangler Tailgate shows it's a major PITA and probably not reliable. Why not keep the stock spare? I'm going with 37x13.5 on beedlocks. Going with stock spare will pay for a winch.
Not to sound confrontational, but this is a terrible idea unless you're trailering everywhere. Even then, a stock spare is pretty useless when you're on 37's, on the trail, and one of your tires gets a sidewall cut you can't patch to get you back to your trailer. Also, if you rotate your spare tire in every oil change (5k mi per the owners manual I believe) you can easily extend the life of your tires, barring any road/trail damage or alignment issues. I think the figure I heard was roughly 20% but I can't recall.

It absolutely blows my mind that people are willing to toss down $$$ on accessories, and then will nickel and dime about something as fundamental as having a matching sized spare. I realize everyone has different priorities, but the build philosophy that has never failed me is always build from the ground UP- Function first.

Tons of good info posted in that 37's thread above. I've been following that for a while as that is my eventual goal.

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL

Thanks for your inputs!
The problem with running the stock 17 x7.5 wheels and going to a 35 depends on the rating of the tire. I will put this in the way it was explained to me. As the tire spins faster, the perimeter weight (the tread) creates a force that pulls the sidewall upward and not outward. If you go fast enough you can literally pull the tire right off the wheel bead. Thats why sports cars run Z or above rated tires. So the safe thing to do is look up the size and rating required for the tire you want. Go to tirerack.com or someplace like that and use their calculator. But if you had a "Good" highly rated tire I dont think you should have any issue. Found this too. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/18-vs-17-inch-wheels-with-35-tires.4581/. Good luck but I think as long as they are rated correctly your good.
Sponsored