How bad is this deal?

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
Go with Gupton in Springfield Tenn 30 miles from Nashville. Picked my ordered JL 1 week ago today. Ordered on 4/28. They arranged transportation from the airport to the dealership.
6% under invoice standard deal
7% with tread lightly or affiliate
8% tread lightly and finance
I took the 8% with tread lightly and finance, which was a no brainer at 0% The whole process
was a pleasurable experience. No pressure, just great people to work with. The icing on the cake
was the $1000 bonus cash email I got from Jeep for signing up for updates on the jeep website
under the Research heading at the bottom of the page. No guarantee you will get the $1000,
it's not a rebate. I think it was just luck of the draw.
I ended up with $5600 off the $40180 MSRP plus tax, title, lic, and $499 dealer fee.
After you take delivery go to bonusdrive.com and apply for an extra $250 check if
you have an affiliation with one of the listed companies. Could be a bank, insurance, company you work for. I literally just got an approval email as I am writing this thread. I will get the $250 in 8 to 10 weeks. Good Luck!
I just filled out the bonus drive form based on your post. Let's see what happens. If it's free money, why not, right?
Sponsored

Last edited:

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Even when I use PTO that costs money that I won’t get at payout time.

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
That's fair, again though, plenty of people have things that work differently. And if that's what works for you, that's what you base your decision on.

I'm only pointing out that " Now, flying across the country and taking a week off to save $1-2k makes zero sense to me. Costs more to fly and take the time off from work than the money saved. "

implies that it doesn't make sense TO you, which is different than doesn't make sense FOR you.

I accrue PTO faster than I can use it, and have a cap on payouts. And most people don't lose 1-2k from taking a single day off. Even if your daily rate is 500$, there's still lots of areas in the US where local dealers can't come close to invoice-8% that you can get from some high volume sales.

It makes sense for a lot of people to explore those options, even if it doesn't work for your specific situation.

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Peterson’s in Idaho is still 8% below invoice and they will pick you up at the airport. Ask for Kent.
Tried to purchase a diesel from him in Dec. Best he could do was $6k off(a little under 10% off of msrp or about 4% under invoice, about $2300 below invoice.
With the non refundable $1k deposit and $1k plus two day trip to go get it I looked elsewhere.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I understand the importance of this question but I hate the answers people give. Totally depends where you live for one and what market were currently in right now. All that aside, if you love the car then buy it. Who cares about a few thousand dollars honestly and who cares about what anyone else thinks about tour deal. Buy it. For example, in Southern California right now, all discounts have been cancelled. No Costco, no Sam’s, no tread lightly. Inventory is gone. No paying less than invoice but who the F cares. But it and have fun. The idea of fighting dealers for a few hundred bucks and spending hours doing so is a thing of another generation. Buy it and enjoy it.
If I felt like I got ripped off I wouldn’t be able to enjoy my jeep. Every time I looked at it I would be annoyed.

Sponsored

Jehovasfitness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and '04 Z06
I really don’t think supply chain is a big factor here. At least not yet with Wranglers. I ordered 5/10, and it arrived at the dealer 5/29.
oh it's def a problem. Many dealers are severely low on inventory. Koons said they cannot guarantee delivery time right now

DUNE RAP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL 2DR RUBICON
In the grand scheme of life does it matter if you pay a couple thousand more...Under the circumstances if you like the Jeep....BUY IT!

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
In the grand scheme of life does it matter if you pay a couple thousand more...Under the circumstances if you like the Jeep....BUY IT!
A couple thousand is fixing the fridge when it breaks, deductible on an accident, emergency vet visit, or a significant part of your mod costs.

You probably shouldn't be purchasing a wrangler if a couple thousand makes the difference in affordability for you, but I think most people wouldn't just burn 2k for no reason, or to save the hassle of checking a different dealership, especially when it's more like 5k just to get invoice-1% compared to the post starter's offer.

Cazadores

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JK, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2020 Firecracker Willys,
I understand the importance of this question but I hate the answers people give. Totally depends where you live for one and what market were currently in right now. All that aside, if you love the car then buy it. Who cares about a few thousand dollars honestly and who cares about what anyone else thinks about tour deal. Buy it. For example, in Southern California right now, all discounts have been cancelled. No Costco, no Sam’s, no tread lightly. Inventory is gone. No paying less than invoice but who the F cares. But it and have fun. The idea of fighting dealers for a few hundred bucks and spending hours doing so is a thing of another generation. Buy it and enjoy it.

Yes, you can get below invoice in Southern California. And why would anyone do business with a dealer not even willing to honor the FCA agreement with Tread Lightly?

bondijoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe - Sarge Green
I'll echo what everyone else said and agree that if you can wait 30 days, sign up for Tread Lightly ($100) or Access Fund ($50) membership and get automatic 1% below invoice. Might even be able to hold the local vehicle with a down payment until then since it doesn't sound like you are in a rush. I used Access Fund discount last month on my 4xe. Also got the $250 Bonus Drive check in the mail last week- all you have to show is proof of owning a non-FCA vehicle. Good luck đź‘Ť

Sponsored

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I agree with this sentiment also...in the end, price is forgotten and quality (or fun) is what remains.

But I'm also glad that there are people out there who are willing to pay full price, because it keeps the dealers in business and helps underwrite my discounts. So, thanks for that!

Last edited:

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
When I walked into the dealership to buy my JL the first thing I told him is we’re talking out the door prices, I didn’t care how he totalled the numbers but I’m only interested in the final number at the bottom of the contract.
It worked quite well

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Immediate gratification seldom paves the way to financial success. It matters for most of us unless we’re wealthy.

Cazadores

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JK, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2020 Firecracker Willys,
Immediate gratification seldom paves the way to financial success. It matters for most of us unless we’re wealthy.
I'd like to think the reason I'm able to enjoy 50k toys like JLRs I only put 2 thousand miles on a year is because I'm careful about the 1k or 2k here and there. It's my hard earned money, as far as I'm concerned some dealer should have to earn their share of it.

Canyonero02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green JLUR
Another one here for Gupton. You're in Mississippi so not too far. I ordered with Daniel on 5/18, JLUR arrived at the dealer 6/3, yesterday. Crazy turnaround time. MSRP was $56,026. Here's the deal I got.
Jeep Wrangler JL How bad is this deal? Screenshot_20210604-180055
Sponsored