First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I understand the importance of this question but I hate the answers people give. Totally depends where you live for one and what market were currently in right now. All that aside, if you love the car then buy it. Who cares about a few thousand dollars honestly and who cares about what anyone else thinks about tour deal. Buy it. For example, in Southern California right now, all discounts have been cancelled. No Costco, no Sam’s, no tread lightly. Inventory is gone. No paying less than invoice but who the F cares. But it and have fun. The idea of fighting dealers for a few hundred bucks and spending hours doing so is a thing of another generation. Buy it and enjoy it.
Yeah I say set a time. A few days or few hours. Do some basic research and then buy the car you love.
Sponsored

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
The idea of fighting dealers for a few hundred bucks and spending hours doing so is a thing of another generation. Buy it and enjoy it.
More like a $5,000 difference...but I concur with your sentiment. All we did was answer the question that was asked, knowing that not everybody has an $5k extra laying around. Besides, $5k saved would buy a lot of mods.

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
I understand the importance of this question but I hate the answers people give. Totally depends where you live for one and what market were currently in right now. All that aside, if you love the car then buy it. Who cares about a few thousand dollars honestly and who cares about what anyone else thinks about tour deal. Buy it. For example, in Southern California right now, all discounts have been cancelled. No Costco, no Sam’s, no tread lightly. Inventory is gone. No paying less than invoice but who the F cares. But it and have fun. The idea of fighting dealers for a few hundred bucks and spending hours doing so is a thing of another generation. Buy it and enjoy it.
life must be good my friend.

to a lot of people a few thousand dollars means a lot, and they maybe willing to travel a few hours for that. Not sure what generation you are from, but comments like that make me worry for where we are heading.

you do realize that people are just trying to be helpful to other people on this forum and yes, save them a few bucks - saying you hate that is a little bit of a strong reaction and a little offensive most likely

oh - and you can still order in SoCal below invoice, but you wouldn’t care about that

Sponsored

RubyRubi

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon, 2018 Grand Cherokee
life must be good my friend.

to a lot of people a few thousand dollars means a lot, and they maybe willing to travel a few hours for that. Not sure what generation you are from, but comments like that make me worry for where we are heading.

you do realize that people are just trying to be helpful to other people on this forum and yes, save them a few bucks - saying you hate that is a little bit of a strong reaction and a little offensive most likely

oh - and you can still order in SoCal below invoice, but you wouldn’t care about that
I do understand and I apologize if I offended anyone. I’ve just bought enough cars in my short life to be completely sick of the dealer experience. I’m not willing to sit in a dealer for hours and hours or travel to one, and go back and forth with the sales guy and the manager just to get it 1% below invoice. I truly believe the dealer experience needs to change because that’s the way of the past and most younger people aren’t willing to do that anymore. Set the price and pay it. I understand that’s not for everyone but it certainly is for many many younger generations. I personally would rather spend my time doing something else. The reason I hate the answers is because I just want the original poster to be stoked for their future Jeep and just buy it. When it comes to finances I don’t include anyone. Too much judgement that isn’t warranted but that’s a whole other generational convo hahaha. Anyway, be stoked on tour Jeep!!

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
Peterson’s in Idaho is still 8% below invoice and they will pick you up at the airport. Ask for Kent.

PocketsEmptied

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 JKUR, '21 JLUR
2021 Sahara Altitude Sky One touch top
$55,920 - Sticker price
$595- Dealer Prep Fees
$56,515 - Final Sticker Price
-$1,000 - Dealer Discount
$799 - DOC Fee
$2815.70- Taxes
$59,129.70- Total Price

Invoice price on this Jeep is $52,700. I see many people on the forum that have ordered recently saying they are still getting below invoice pricing. I would order one from a reputable dealer and fly in and get it if it would save me several thousand dollars. It is not a primary vehicle. What do you think?
If you can tolerate a 1-2 month wait to get exactly what you want you should easily be able to get out the door w/ taxes, fees, tag for under the invoice price. It would involve travel to one of the dealers still doing ~7% below invoice. It would turn into this:

$55,920 - Sticker price
$52,700 - Invoice price
$49,011 - 7% below invoice
~$500 - Doc fee
$2,475 - 5% taxes
~$100 - tag/title
$52,086 - total out the door
$100 - Tread Lightly
$??? travel

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Echoing what everyone said. I told the local dealer if they could come within 2k of what a dealer 750 miles away would, I’d buy here. They couldn’t do it. It’s about a $4k difference, of which they would knock off $500. So for a net of $3500 I ordered and will fly out when it’s in. I also looked up shipping - $1400 to my door in a covered trailer

Cazadores

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JK, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2020 Firecracker Willys,
I agree but I have talked with 3 dealers about ordering. Two said their price for ordering was still MSRP with no discounts and 1 said invoice + $300.
My local favorite.... "Jeep isn't allowing orders...." I guess thinking I'd just buckle and buy what he had on the lot, even though I said specifically he had nothing on the lot interesting me.

Shame these dealers seem uninterested in our business.

Glad we have resources like this to help us find the ones who are.

Dealers generally suck, it's great to be able to walk.

Sponsored

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I do understand and I apologize if I offended anyone. I’ve just bought enough cars in my short life to be completely sick of the dealer experience. I’m not willing to sit in a dealer for hours and hours or travel to one, and go back and forth with the sales guy and the manager just to get it 1% below invoice. I truly believe the dealer experience needs to change because that’s the way of the past and most younger people aren’t willing to do that anymore. Set the price and pay it. I understand that’s not for everyone but it certainly is for many many younger generations. I personally would rather spend my time doing something else. The reason I hate the answers is because I just want the original poster to be stoked for their future Jeep and just buy it. When it comes to finances I don’t include anyone. Too much judgement that isn’t warranted but that’s a whole other generational convo hahaha. Anyway, be stoked on tour Jeep!!
I got my Gladiator for well below sticker, and I spent less than an afternoon at the dealer. I got there at 4:30 and drove home at 7. I saved $5k. Id rather spend my time doing other things as well, but I don't make $2k an hour (which is what I saved) and that feels worth it to me. If people just pay sticker then the dealership model isn't ever going to change. They will be over the moon to just have you pay the price on the sticker and want to be in and out.

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
It doesn't require blowing a day in the dealership hot seat and having to act up. I bought a JLU last month in the middle of a pandemic with junked up supply chains. All I did was skim through all the high-rated local salesmen on dealerrater.com, and I picked the youngest looking guy thinking he may be hungrier than most and needed to build his book of customers. Three emails later, I had a purchase price that was near invoice. I slipped in Tread Lightly and my awareness of holdbacks at the last minute to work the purchase price down a little bit more. I never met him until it was time to pick up the Jeep, and I think he appreciated me for (1) being respectful and (2) not taking up too much of his time. The 1.5 hour drive to the dealership was longer than the hour I spent on the pre-buying process. I didn't fly to Idaho to get max discounts because I am busy and didn't want to spend three days driving home (despite that sounding enjoyable) but I was able to save/earn $5000 for 2.5 hours of effort.

Cazadores

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JK, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2020 Firecracker Willys,

Here's the great news....with threads and resources like this one, you don't need to fight the salesman/manager/finance guy for hours. I sent out eight RFPs for my recent order. Five dealers replied, only 3 gave me numbers, 2 were very competitive, and in the end it came down to finance flexibility and my thinking I wanted to be able to make a larger down than one allowed.

The last two were great, responsive, and I have a deal without any nonsense, literally from my phone.

I agree, get what you want, but you're happiness shouldn't be extorted by dealerships whose business models rely on bullying low information buyers.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

There's also a balance on buying from out-of-town. Sure, it costs a little more to get there, but you're rewarded with a road trip in your new Jeep immediately.

I'm honestly *hoping* that one of the out-of-towners offers me a better deal, lol.

JimmyR75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2014 JK — Previous: 2004 TJ, 1994 YJ
Here's the great news....with threads and resources like this one, you don't need to fight the salesman/manager/finance guy for hours. I sent out eight RFPs for my recent order. Five dealers replied, only 3 gave me numbers, 2 were very competitive, and in the end it came down to finance flexibility and my thinking I wanted to be able to make a larger down than one allowed.

The last two were great, responsive, and I have a deal without any nonsense, literally from my phone.

I agree, get what you want, but you're happiness shouldn't be extorted by dealerships whose business models rely on bullying low information buyers.
Yes, this. Getting a deal basically only requires 2 things:
1. Being able to give “no” for an answer and walk out if needed.
2. Being able to take “no” for an answer and look elsewhere if needed.

Having resources like this forum and just a little patience make the process much, much faster (and virtually painless besides a few weeks of calling to ask “is my Jeep here yet?”)
Sponsored