How bad is this deal?

JeepRx

First Name
Taz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Sahara
Just sold my 2014 Sahara and looking to buy or order a new Jeep. Found one exactly like I want within a couple hundred miles drive from me here in Mississippi but it just seems like a bad deal. I know the current situation with shortages and semiconductor issues. Here is the info:

2021 Sahara Altitude Sky One touch top
$55,920 - Sticker price
$595- Dealer Prep Fees
$56,515 - Final Sticker Price
-$1,000 - Dealer Discount
$799 - DOC Fee
$2815.70- Taxes
$59,129.70- Total Price

Invoice price on this Jeep is $52,700. I see many people on the forum that have ordered recently saying they are still getting below invoice pricing. I would order one from a reputable dealer and fly in and get it if it would save me several thousand dollars. It is not a primary vehicle. What do you think?
Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I've not bought my Jeep yet, but have started getting quotes from dealers and the number one thing that I've learned in my ~4 months of research has been to never, ever, ever pay sticker price for a Jeep Wrangler.

Here's what I'm doing:
1. Start with the online builder and setup *exactly* what you want. Scroll all the way to the bottom and click "Download PDF"
2. Go to the Order Sheets thread on this forum and download the May ones. Build your setup there, too, so you can get an idea of what the invoice pricing is, as well as the discounts.
3. Go to this website: Wrangler Deals and pick a few dealerships that are giving good discounts (the blue icons) and you're willing to travel to. Email them.
4. Email your top 3-4 local dealers
5. Whoever gives you the best deal, order there. You're spending ~$50K, why on earth would you just settle for whatever someone has on their lot?

Keep in mind that "best deal" might not be obvious. An extra 1% off invoice might not be worth it if you have to spend $1,500 to travel to pick it up.

For the email, I copied/pasted the exact same details to everyone. I changed the opening paragraph slightly to fit the dealer:

Good morning! I got your name from the fine folks at JLWranglerForums.com - you were recommended as a great place to order my new 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Altitude. I'm up in Fort Worth, so a bit of a drive, but worth it for the right deal.

I've done a lot of research, and below is the package that I'm interested in. What can you do from a cost standpoint on an order like this?

Additionally, I know that normally, the 2022 order banks would be opening soon - have you heard any update on that? There's also rumors that the 2022 MY production has been pushed back to December.

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4DR) Sahara Altitude
2.0L I4 w/ 8-speed auto
2.72:1 SELEC-TRAC Full Time AWD system
8.4" Radio and Premium Audio Group
Advanced Safety Group
Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle
Cold Weather Group
Gorilla Glass
Remote Proximity Keyless Entry
Safety Group
Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group
Granite Crystal Metallic Clear Coat

The Altitude Package should include the body-color hard-top and MOPAR headliner, correct?

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Just sold my 2014 Sahara and looking to buy or order a new Jeep. Found one exactly like I want within a couple hundred miles drive from me here in Mississippi but it just seems like a bad deal. I know the current situation with shortages and semiconductor issues. Here is the info:

$55,920 - Sticker price
$595- Dealer Prep Fees
$799 - DOC Fee
$2815.70- Taxes
$59,129.70- Total Price

Invoice price on this Jeep is $52,700. I see many people on the forum that have ordered recently saying they are still getting below invoice pricing. I would order one from a reputable dealer and fly in and get it if it would save me several thousand dollars. It is not a primary vehicle. What do you think?
Its a tough market to buy right now given all the supply chain shortages, so normal rules of thumb may not apply at the moment...but trying to get the out-the-door total price to be MSRP or less is a good target. Tread Lightly gets you Factory Wholesale / Invoice - 1% without having to lift a finger, and you should be able to do better than that with a little work and flexibility.

Sponsored

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military

$55,920 - Sticker price
$595- Dealer Prep Fees
$799 - DOC Fee
$2815.70- Taxes
$59,129.70- Total Price

A good or bad deal is COMPLETELY dependent on the current market at any given time.
Right now is just a really, really bad time to buy. I’m surprised the dealer is giving you any type of discount.

JimmyR75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2014 JK — Previous: 2004 TJ, 1994 YJ
It’s a bad time to buy off the lot, yes. If you want to drive off with a car this weekend you’re going to pay a premium, the lots are bare. Ordering is not necessarily the same, that’s not taking away from the dealer inventory and there’s no downside to them where they “could’ve sold it to the next guy that came in for MSRP”.

OP
OP

JeepRx

First Name
Taz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Sahara
I agree but I have talked with 3 dealers about ordering. Two said their price for ordering was still MSRP with no discounts and 1 said invoice + $300.

It’s a bad time to buy off the lot, yes. If you want to drive off with a car this weekend you’re going to pay a premium, the lots are bare. Ordering is not necessarily the same, that’s not taking away from the dealer inventory and there’s no downside to them where they “could’ve sold it to the next guy that came in for MSRP”.

Volstock

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Info Sec
If you have a membership at Sam's Club or Costco you can try using their car buying programs to get better pricing. Not as good as some dealers may offer but it may be better than what you are seeing.

Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I agree but I have talked with 3 dealers about ordering. Two said their price for ordering was still MSRP with no discounts and 1 said invoice + $300.
Use the link I provided above and shop outside of your market. I got a response almost immediately from Daniel at Gupton Motors (just a bit north of you in Tennessee) yesterday that was ~6-8% off invoice.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I really don’t think supply chain is a big factor here. At least not yet with Wranglers. I ordered 5/10, and it arrived at the dealer 5/29.
It might not be a factor, But since it is affecting most other cars scummy dealers will take it advantage of it either way!

JimmyR75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2014 JK — Previous: 2004 TJ, 1994 YJ
It might not be a factor, But since it is affecting most other cars scummy dealers will take it advantage of it either way!
100%. Same as any other deal, who you’re working with makes all the difference in the world.

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I really don’t think supply chain is a big factor here. At least not yet with Wranglers. I ordered 5/10, and it arrived at the dealer 5/29.
Jeep maker Stellantis NV slashed planned production by 11% in the first three months of the year due to the global chip shortage and warned of additional cuts in the weeks ahead as the crisis lingers.

A lack of semiconductors resulted in a cut to planned first-quarter production of about 190,000 vehicles, the car maker said. The problem will force it to cut second-quarter production even more, but it expects the situation to improve after June.

Eight of the company’s 44 plants were affected to some degree by the shortage as of Tuesday. The company’s finance chief, Richard Palmer, said Stellantis expects the issue to continue into next year, adding, “It would be naive to expect it to just disappear.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/chip-crisis-deepens-at-stellantis-11620202391?page=1

RubyRubi

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon, 2018 Grand Cherokee
I understand the importance of this question but I hate the answers people give. Totally depends where you live for one and what market were currently in right now. All that aside, if you love the car then buy it. Who cares about a few thousand dollars honestly and who cares about what anyone else thinks about tour deal. Buy it. For example, in Southern California right now, all discounts have been cancelled. No Costco, no Sam’s, no tread lightly. Inventory is gone. No paying less than invoice but who the F cares. But it and have fun. The idea of fighting dealers for a few hundred bucks and spending hours doing so is a thing of another generation. Buy it and enjoy it.
Sponsored