Sponsored

How are Your stock BFG KO ATs performing?

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
I only ran mine for a few months before lifting and going to 37s.

considering getting some for the wife’s bronco sport and would like to know how good they do in rain/ice/snow and how they wear.

this is her daily driver and she is a home health nurse. So, she works out of her vehicle. Thanks for any input.
Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I only ran mine for a few months before lifting and going to 37s.

considering getting some for the wife’s bronco sport and would like to know how good they do in rain/ice/snow and how they wear.

this is her daily driver and she is a home health nurse. So, she works out of her vehicle. Thanks for any input.
It's a good tire but I think it depends on where in Oregon she works out of her vehicle. KO2 are a good tire for rain/ice/snow for an AT tire, but all AT tires aren't great in ice & snow. They wear well if inflated appropriately (do a chalk test) so they would be great for the coastal half of Oregon. But if she's up in the snowy mountains a winter tire would have much better performance.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I've run some version of the BFG AT since the late 1990s, as well as a half-dozen other tires, so I've had them on at least one vehicle, pretty consistently for 25 years or so.

They are a great all-terrain tire for those conditions, but does she need an all-terrain, or a winter tire? Meaning, if you're choosing an all-terrain tire first, it's a great choice. If what you need first is a tire that does well in rain/ice/snow, there are better tires. Does it make sense to have two sets of tires?

They wear well.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I ran mine for 7,500 miles and they were awful in the rain. I never chalk tested them though, so that may be why.

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
It didn't have the grip on wet roads that I was used to so I kept a mental note to watch those turns on wet roads, particularly the highways. Can't judge snow/ice. Other than that, it met expectations. Just have to bring the tire pressure back into spec as the seasons switch over.

Sponsored

kermitjewel

Threads
Reaction score
anywhere, but always flipping off moderators
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito,
It's a good tire but I think it depends on where in Oregon she works out of her vehicle. KO2 are a good tire for rain/ice/snow for an AT tire, but all AT tires aren't great in ice & snow. They wear well if inflated appropriately (do a chalk test) so they would be great for the coastal half of Oregon. But if she's up in the snowy mountains a winter tire would have much better performance.
agree, my snow trips, they seemed to fill treads with snow and ya get that wash out feeling in the curves, otherwise sand mud rain i love em

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
Quite a few on this forum run the ko2's at around 33-35 psi for ride and wear. Service places air them up to like 45-47psi...a small piece of gravel feels like you are doing heavy off-roading...😁✌ I have enjoyed mine and seem to be holding up after 22K.

Joe's_Roxy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Quality Manager
I got 62k out of my stock KO2s before replacing them with more KO2s. They still had about 5-6k of tread on them when I replaced but was headed to the Black Hills Jeep Jamboree and wanted new tires to do the event with. They do pretty good on the highway (really quiet), do pretty good in a Central Midwest winter, and handle off-roading pretty well.

Jeep Wrangler JL How are Your stock BFG KO ATs performing? Roxy_New_Shoes

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
My wife's have been great in the snow/rain/etc. Wheeled it as well in Moab and drove through a Blizzard to get there last year (w/ full-time 4wd transfer case). I have 9k on them and they look brand new still. Based on current wear I'll probably get 50k out of them. Planning on buying XR take offs (suspension, wheels, tires) at some point though.

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
Wow!! Thank you all for the fast replies. We are down in southern oregon. So, we only see a few inches of snow here and there. I am more concerned with rain and wear. Sounds like they will last and may be a poor choice for rain. She loves the aggressive look. I’ll definitely keep researching. I’ve had a set of the old all terrains on two vehicles in central oregon snow. They did not clean well at all.

Sponsored

Joe's_Roxy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Quality Manager
Wow!! Thank you all for the fast replies. We are down in southern oregon. So, we only see a few inches of snow here and there. I am more concerned with rain and wear. Sounds like they will last and may be a poor choice for rain. She loves the aggressive look. I’ll definitely keep researching. I’ve had a set of the old all terrains on two vehicles in central oregon snow. They did not clean well at all.
Just don't let her drive like a fool in the rain and it will all be good. HAHA My Rubicon is a manual so it is very easy to spin the tires on wet pavement...but...that can be said about any tire I have ever had on any of my vehicles. As long as you drive responsibly, you can't go wrong with the KO2s.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Sounds like KO2s are a good fit then. While it isn't hard to spin them in the rain if you want to, it also isn't hard to keep them under control. They'll do what you ask them to do. To get better rain performance you'd need to move from an AT to a highway tire, which will have a less appropriate look for a Jeep and isn't really necessary.

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Been using them for years in my Tacomas and they'll be the next set on the Willys when the Firestones are done.

G.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I think they are a great tire! I commute 50 miles a day to work daily. Have run through blizzards and torrential downpours, the tires have been great! As others have stated they are not dedicated snow tires but they do the job and imo very well! When these wear out they are getting replaced with the same tire.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Knowing you're in So Oregon and rain is more of a concern than snow, you'll get really good use out of the KO2. Hard to beat in So. Oregon conditions.
Sponsored