Sponsored

How are your cloth seats holding up?

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
A solution to the extremely hot or cold leather seats is to get them in Beige rather than Black. Having sat on both Black and Beige leather seating, I would take the Beige any day as it doesn’t get no where near as hot or cold as Black. Beige however still isn't as good as cloth in extreme temps.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
These are valid points. Some additional info for those still on the fence between factory leather and cloth. It's true about aftermarket leather covers being more cost efficient than factory leather, but the factory leather option includes more than just seats. It also includes headrests and a fold down center armrest with cup holders for the rear bench, stitched leather front armrest, door panels, top dash panel, e brake handle, and the boots for both shift levers. Again, for those still undecided, the higher factory leather cost is also more inclusive than the aftermarket.

If going aftermarket, PRP is where I'd spend my money. In my opinion, they have nicer options and they look better installed than Katskins.
True. The regular factory leather seats adds a rear fold down center armrest with built-in cup holders.

Although my Sahara came with cloth seats —and no rear center armrest, it came with extra padded leather covered door armrests, leather covered center console, with contrasting silver stitching throughout —including the steering wheel, and shifter booths. Now that I got the Katzkin in black leather with silver stitching, everything insides marches perfectly.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
True. The regular factory leather seats adds a rear fold down center armrest with built-in cup holders.

Although my Sahara came with cloth seats —and no rear center armrest, it came with extra padded leather covered door armrests, leather covered center console, with contrasting silver stitching throughout —including the steering wheel, and shifter booths. Now that I got the Katzkin in black leather with silver stitching, everything insides marches perfectly.
Oh, I didn't know that the Saharas got the nicer peripherals, regardless of leather or cloth. Nice!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, I didn't know that the Saharas got the nicer peripherals, regardless of leather or cloth. Nice!
Yes. Sahara also has the stitched dashboard top. The only items missing on Sahara with cloth seats are the said rear armrest and the leather covered dashboard panels.

Sahara has tons of nice upgrades throughout that one doesn’t even realize. If Jeep made a mistake with JL Sahara, is that it made its long list of standard features too subtle to notice.

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
I love my cloth seats! I am constantly moving my kids car seats between my jeep and wife's highlander with leather and I'm noticing on her leather, the car seats are imprinting on the leather and she has several areas of wear and her arm rest ripped quite quickly.

My cloth is still perfect! ... except for a few really light light mud stains on the rear head rests that I stupidly got on my first week of ownership, but they do look like they belong there. I would buy cloth again in a heart beat!

Sponsored

KrisEdward

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Sport S
Two years no issues. I'm an ER nurse and wipe down the Jeep surfaces (ie steering wheel, handles, seats) with various disinfectant wipes after getting home for a string of shifts. No discoloration or break down compared to the passenger seat.
That abuse plus regular outdoor abuse and they still look/feel good.

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
My JL came with cloth seats. Dust and dirt stuck to that fabric like glue; it was a real chore to keep the interior looking clean.

One time, my dad dropped a tiny piece of chocolate on the seat. In trying to clean it up, the chocolate worked its way into the fabric and made a big, ugly stain.

I replaced the cloth with Katzkin leather a year ago; leather is so much easier to clean. The interior looks so much better.
My kid got chocolate in the seat. Weeks passed before I could steam clean. Came out like it was never there. I wonder if the chocolate you guys have is a chocolate we need to stay away from. lol

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
My kid got chocolate in the seat. Weeks passed before I could steam clean. Came out like it was never there. I wonder if the chocolate you guys have is a chocolate we need to stay away from. lol
:LOL:

In fairness, I didn’t steam clean it; I used a wet rag, which made it worse; the chocolate ingrained itself into the fabric.

But I just struggled keeping those cloth seats clean. Even removing hair and dust with the vacuum cleaner was a chore; everything little thing adhered to that fabric like through gravitational force.

Admittedly, I am used to leather seats that require an easy wipe every two weeks and I’m done. I apply leather conditioner every six months to extend the suppleness of the leather and that’s it.

The only reason I got cloth this time is because the Jeep had most every other option I wanted, and was listed for 22% off MSRP!

If nothing else, this experience taught me how relatively easy, common, and affordable it is to add leather seats later.

OP
OP
angrynewyorker

angrynewyorker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi 22 JLUR XR
These are valid points. Some additional info for those still on the fence between factory leather and cloth. It's true about aftermarket leather covers being more cost efficient than factory leather, but the factory leather option includes more than just seats. It also includes headrests and a fold down center armrest with cup holders for the rear bench, stitched leather front armrest, door panels, top dash panel, e brake handle, and the boots for both shift levers. Again, for those still undecided, the higher factory leather cost is also more inclusive than the aftermarket.

If going aftermarket, PRP is where I'd spend my money. In my opinion, they have nicer options and they look better installed than Katskins.
I have a 2 door coming, so the rear seat armrest issue is a non issue for me.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Great ! , have a 19. Purchased November 18. They’re like brand new. Love my cloth. I’m so happy did not get leather.

Sponsored

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
Ours are not very old but we put Wet Okole covers on them so the likely won't wear at all. I'm not a fan of leather. Our 18 ZR2 came with leather (only way to get a ZR2) and I covered them too to prevent them from showing the wear that leather will have. I prefer cloth.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2 door coming, so the rear seat armrest issue is a non issue for me.
Yeah, I recall reading about the rear bench for the 2 door is narrower than that of the 4 door. I believe it's also designated a 4 person capacity vs 5.

Archie PJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Punk"n
I didn't want to find out the hard way whether they would wear quickly, so one of the first things I did was buy Rough Country covers for them. I looked at all the various brands and recommendations in deciding on these. As many said, they fit extremely well, show no wear so far and are very comfortable.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
I cannot recommend Bartact enough. They work amazing. They fit well, don’t get hot in summer (I’m someone who gets hot easy), and they shed water.

These are pictures of my JK after 90k miles, seat covers on from the first week of ownership. I often did top down/off and doorless tons and offroad frequently. I also have 3 young kids and a dog and after 6years the seats look new. I had cleaned the interior in this pics but I didn’t even have to touch the seats.
Jeep Wrangler JL How are your cloth seats holding up? 7C739AF4-993E-4D3F-A5E6-225174844B41

Jeep Wrangler JL How are your cloth seats holding up? AF72E85D-EECF-41B3-8153-C759F7677035

many many miles on dirt with the top down where I was not the lead vehicle. This photo the jeep had around 6000mile
Jeep Wrangler JL How are your cloth seats holding up? F59D1622-2137-46FA-9B97-957CE630DF39

I got pretty muddy here which then gets on the inside. I put the top up for this mud pit.
Jeep Wrangler JL How are your cloth seats holding up? D14628C7-DB7D-4648-A34B-18B91062A63D

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I have leather seats, and they have done very well. I did end up putting Bartact Neoprene seat covers on them to further protect from the elements when the top is off. So I guess I spent $1,495 to get leather to spend another $600 to cover it up, lol. The Bartact seat covers regardless if you are covering leather or cloth are definitely the way to go. Take a little effort to install, but 100% worth it.
Sponsored