Sponsored

How are you supposed to buy a new jeep

jgbstetson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
Gupton. Use Gupton. Do not use Koons or Chapman. Mark Dodge is also good.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

All the dealers in the colorado front range were either msrp plus or. No lower than msrp. I emailed granger jeep in iowa from these forums and got exactly what i wanted for 5 percent under invoice
Some people had luck with the dealership in Ft Collins, but that didn't seem to last long.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator Gladiator Sport S, '22 Gobi JLR
With all the resources on this site I can't fathom why anyone would pay over 5% under. I would disregard anyone who says to go somewhere that doesn't offer that immediately and be hesitant about their advice going further. Unless you just wrecked your only vehicle and need 1 NOW, there's no reason to line some dealers pocket with your hard earned (assumedly) cash. There's no need to pay literally thousands over to be "local" or something else stupid. You're not 'helping your local economy' in that situation, just 1 person, and I need it more than them.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L

Sponsored

BEACHED WHALE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
its all a scam. like bitcoin, a pyramid scheme. you cant buy squat with it. its a manipulation by the winkle dink twins. Same with the shortage. its a bs excuse

Jerpy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
The only way I could afford my Jeep is by having rich parents die from "mysterious circumstances." Good luck.

Last edited:

bbroich

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
I have no insight into any logic a dealership is trying to use, but I’ll say this.

The best way for you to buy a Jeep and be sure you’re getting exactly what you want is to build it online, take that to a dealer and custom order it.

You won’t be getting too many competing offers considering most dealerships have little to no inventory on their lots. Jeep is selling JLs as fast as they can build them… faster even.

Will you have to wait four to six months for your build? Yep. Is it worth it in the end to get exactly what you wanted? Big yep.

There are volume dealerships taking orders that sell below MSRP (example being Guptons - see the 190 page thread here)
Still gotta wait for it, but in the end you’re not playing games with salespeople and you get what you want from the factory.
Can't agree with this more. Built what I wanted on line and took the specifics into my local dealership and told them this is what I wanted. We ordered it that day (4 door Rubicon), May 3. Kept checking status, waiting like a kid at Christmas. Dealer sent me updates from his sources every week. Took possesion on July 26, and couldn't be happier. Well worth the wait to get the exact vehicle you want.

JeepLeap

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Odds are that you'll end up paying MSRP+ with that approach.
I’m not saying to do that and take whatever price they give you. Just saying that’s the surefire way to get it started. I did that at a few dealers and went with the lowest, least hassle place.

Mike81189

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Cherokee looking to purchase Wrangler
I’ve been looking myself to get out of my 2018 grand Cherokee and into a JL but had to take a mental break from it just due to how exhausting it is. Gupton is sounding like a good idea I just know logistics are going to be a pain for me however.

Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Another option to consider is Costco Auto. I bought my Willys XR through there and got about 3% below Msrp. Not as great as some of the other dealerships found in the forum, but it was painless and the dealer was local, which I liked.
I bought my JK through Costco. It was easy and painless. At this point, it will likely be cheaper than a dealer will give you on their own.
Regardless, the days of a "cheap" Wrangler are long gone.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
if you're trying to do your communication with Dealers through a keyboard, you're making it hard on yourself; most of these guys still work via phone. (point: most of the software they use to track their sales contacts file us by our phone number.)

go to the J**p website to build your build sheet, call around as far as you're willing to travel and ask for the Fleet Manager. tell him you're going to be buying a J**p and you want to e-mail him your build sheet to have him make his best quote on it. this will quickly sift out the guys that think they can lead anyone to buy anything, and get you to the guys that will go straight to the numbers if they want to play. make a spreadsheet to keep track of them as you go. expect some of them to renege on what they quoted, and thank those that don't want to make a quote for not wasting your time.
i personally talked to a couple of dozen dealers. the best quote i got was at the other end of the state, but another dealer 40 mins away from me came within $140. my local dealer wouldn't even get within $1000 of that price.

take advantage of the list of dealers that are willing to play on this website that's already been pointed out.
one friend/co-member here figured it was worth going halfway cross-country to pick up his new order a few months ago. but he had the time, truck and trailer to drag it home, so it was worth it to him. not everyone's situation is accommodating of that. (and there's the question of how you want to break it in if you're not buying locally,...)

you're probably going to have the vehicle for a while, so IMO it's worth spending an afternoon calling around to find who you want to work with, and waiting for exactly what you want to be built.

Yes, that's what I'm asking. How do you do that? I'm not even looking for below MSRP and no one is willing to order. Or they are but they want a 2000-5000 markup over that, as though THEY will get a competing offer on my specific order. I contacted the dealer on that list closest to me and no response for a week. How do I communicate with these kind of people now days?

QwikKotaTx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dodge Dakota T56, 2015 Hemi Ram
They COULD match the below invoice pricing that other dealers have, they just choose not too...
Do you really think the sales person has any pull at all in a dealership? There are sales managers that have some pull but even they have to do what the owner tells them to as far as pricing goes. Go watch Fargo, lmao.

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
It’s easy to get a Jeep for way less than MSRP. You just need to talk to the right people. Facebook groups and forums like this point you towards dealers/sales people that are willing to get aggressive with price discounts.
I just picked up my 392 in June for 10k off MSRP. Talk to Miles Goff at Dan Cummins in Georgetown KY. They even delivered my new Jeep to my house and picked up my trade.

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
Do you really think the sales person has any pull at all in a dealership? There are sales managers that have some pull but even they have to do what the owner tells them to as far as pricing goes. Go watch Fargo, lmao.
If the dealership wanted to they could sell below invoice. If you sell enough vehicles at below invoice, then you can make more money then not selling at invoice. Lots of dealers have chosen to do it, and all could if they wanted too...
Sponsored