Sponsored

How Accurate Are Jeep's Dealer Arrival Dates?

3GunPreacher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 2 Door
Occupation
Information Technology
Chrysler and the Dealer are showing my newly ordered Jeep to be shipped and on way to dealer with a dealer delivery date between yesterday and a couple of weeks... How accurate are these dates usually?
Sponsored

Priherd

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR
I wish I could answer your question. My new Rubicon was scheduled to be shipped from Ohio to the Florida on the 19th of March. The dealer and FCA say it arrive at the Florida depot on the 19th. My dealer then said that their dealership had 25 wranglers waiting at the depot and it should arrive here between 21 Mar and 6 Apr. They're killing me! Maybe tomorrow....

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
While being built the FCA date is pretty accurate. Before entering factory not so much. Once it leaves the factory it is out of their hands. It may sit on a lot waiting for a transport order (there are several large lots near the factory full of them waiting). Once on a truck or railcar (or ship) there is a separate system that tracks it. The dealers have access to this system, FCA no. Every time the truck or railcar passes a radio frequency tab reader it is logged into the system. Once it hits the drop point it can take some time to be picked up for the final truck ride to the dealer. Then the number of vehicles going that way, weather, other manufacturer's cars at the point waiting to go, number of trucks/drivers available determines when it leaves. I've heard of some vehicles that sat at the drop point for 2 to 4 weeks.

I was frustrated with the slowness of my order (ordered end of November 2018 when they had a lot of orders to build) waiting to be fit into production. I finally sent an email to the CEO of FCA asking why. Next morning I had an email from an Executive Customer Manager saying he had expedited my order and it was now in paint. He said it would be completed that day. He also put it in expedited delivery so it would be put on a rail car that night.

He sent me updates of where it was. It hit Chicago and had to be transferred to a different rail yard and it spent a day there. At the drop point in Council Bluffs there was a snow storm so it was a day before put on a truck. The ECM sent me an email when it hit the dealer lot in the middle of the night. I was sitting there first thing in the morning before the dealer opened - before the dealer even knew it was there.

The Sales Manager inspected it and found during transport that there was a scratch on the hard top and one rear fender. He took the parts off another one he had in stock and ate the damage cost because one of his employees signed for it in the dark and didn't see the damage (which was very small).

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Given the current conditions with the coronavirus, I wouldn't put too much stock on what delivery history has been. FYI, when I got my 2019 in December 2018, my dealer called me the day it arrived at the dealer. She did tell me when I ordered it would be 6-8 weeks, but I didn't get a call until the Jeep was physically at the dealer, which I had no problem with. I was expecting it soon because the window sticker appeared online a few days before they called.

melman8r

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sarge Green JLR
Under normal circumstances, I think the dealers know when vehicles will arrive, but with the coronavirus chaos, it's all a guess. Mine was ordered on 1/27, dealer expected it to arrive at the dealership on 3/10, it arrived on 3/9; I took delivery on 3/13.

Sponsored

MannySingh

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Under normal circumstances, I think the dealers know when vehicles will arrive, but with the coronavirus chaos, it's all a guess. Mine was ordered on 1/27, dealer expected it to arrive at the dealership on 3/10, it arrived on 3/9; I took delivery on 3/13.
I signed a deal on 27 January (JLUR) as well and have yet to receive a VIN. Although, I have no idea when the dealer actually placed the order.

With this COVID-19 pandemic and the factories shut down, I doubt I’ll see my order before August. I lost all excitement and hope at this point, but am more worried about people’s’ wellbeing

kglassic

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.criswellchryslerjeepdodge.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Occupation
Jeep Sales Manager
Chrysler and the Dealer are showing my newly ordered Jeep to be shipped and on way to dealer with a dealer delivery date between yesterday and a couple of weeks... How accurate are these dates usually?
Send me the last eight of you VIN and I will confirm for you.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I signed a deal on 27 January (JLUR) as well and have yet to receive a VIN. Although, I have no idea when the dealer actually placed the order.

With this COVID-19 pandemic and the factories shut down, I doubt I’ll see my order before August. I lost all excitement and hope at this point, but am more worried about people’s’ wellbeing
You should have had a VIN from your dealer within two days. They know they need to check to make sure the order got into the system properly.

MannySingh

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
You should have had a VIN from your dealer within two days. They know they need to check to make sure the order got into the system properly.
Ya that’s what I’ve been hearing on this forum. But the only update my dealer was giving me is “your order was accepted by the Chrysler plant.” So I doubt my Jeep even hit the assembly line yet.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Ya that’s what I’ve been hearing on this forum. But the only update my dealer was giving me is “your order was accepted by the Chrysler plant.” So I doubt my Jeep even hit the assembly line yet.
You get the order number and vin as soon as it is entered in the system. Then it has to be provisioned which can take some time depending how many ahead of you and what options you ordered. Now with the factory closed there won't be any updates but with a Jan 27 order date if you want the vin go tell your dealer to give it to you. If they are giving you this much static at this stage then maybe they aren't a good dealer to be working with.

Sponsored

MannySingh

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
You get the order number and vin as soon as it is entered in the system. Then it has to be provisioned which can take some time depending how many ahead of you and what options you ordered. Now with the factory closed there won't be any updates but with a Jan 27 order date if you want the vin go tell your dealer to give it to you. If they are giving you this much static at this stage then maybe they aren't a good dealer to be working with.

Yea, I sent an email on 27 February (a month later) asking for an update and that was when she told me “the order was accepted by the plant”. I got my VON after emailing FCA, who got it by calling my dealership to get a VON for me.

Sales manager at the dealership asked me to talk to the dealership directly for updates and he ignored my email last week.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I've order quite a few Wranglers. The ship date actually translates to estimated build date. This date can range from pretty accurate to months off. It is really luck of the draw.

This being said, I have had jeeps show up early, within a week or two of the date, and 3 months later once.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I've order quite a few Wranglers. The ship date actually translates to estimated build date. This date can range from pretty accurate to months off. It is really luck of the draw.

This being said, I have had jeeps show up early, within a week or two of the date, and 3 months later once.
When it is FCA giving the date it is probably the build date but once built the delivery date is out of FCA hands and in a more accurate system that tracks it more closely (even if the engine is started). So if his dealer wouldn't screw around with him he could get a pretty good date of arrival subject to unforeseen circumstances (don't look at the YouTube video of a train with car carriers making an emergency stop and the cars coming through the front of the rail car).

PaulwithJeep

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500, 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I can't speak for every situation but I know when I order a vehicle for a customer it is very accurate once it has shipped. When it is being built it is an estimate but once it has shipped and enters any version of a "KZ" status then the date and time given are usually right on. Now this only shows when it will arrive at the local rail yard or wherever they go for your area. From there they have to be trucked to the dealership. This is where things are harder to predict but usually within a week to getting to local distribution center they get to dealership. I'm sure every region is a little different and my experience is based on the Seattle Washington area.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
mine all got stuck in Massachusetts depot until they got full loads for truck carrier to Maine, would show up on dealers web page, by happen stance watched my Rubicon get unloaded from the carrier, I live around the corner from the dealer. My 18 Sahara, 17 SRT, 15 Overland were delivered at night, luck of the draw. I saved all the packing material they cover the wheels seats etc and my buddy took pics for me.

IMG_1386.JPG

IMG_1388.JPG
Sponsored