Sponsored

How about using a fluid transfer pump to drain gear oil?

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi,
I have been looking at some differential skid plates that may make changing differential oil a little less convenient, so I am considering the idea of using a transfer pump system to suck out the diff fluid from the filler port rather than utilizing the housing drain bolts, which might be obstructed by the differential skids.

Are you or have you used one of these tools for this purpose? What do you like or dislike about using this method?

Thank you.
Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Hi,
I have been looking at some differential skid plates that may make changing differential oil a little less convenient, so I am considering the idea of using a transfer pump system to suck out the diff fluid from the filler port rather than utilizing the housing drain bolts, which might be obstructed by the differential skids.

Are you or have you used one of these tools for this purpose? What do you like or dislike about using this method?

Thank you.
That's how my dealer does it.

KevinD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
You actually change the gear lube?
The only times I've done that is when I've had the axles underwater...

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I recommend removing the cover completely when changing fluid so you can inspect inside the differential housing. Which means you’re only removing a few extra bolts to take off the skid so it’s not a big deal.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
I just changed mine and the amount of stuff stuck to the drain plug was substantially more than I anticipated. I wouldn’t want to leave that stuff in there.

Sponsored

Bruce Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
I just changed mine and the amount of stuff stuck to the drain plug was substantially more than I anticipated. I wouldn’t want to leave that stuff in there.
Yep, this was the first change at 3000 miles, should have done it sooner

2zJnCgX.jpg

JocHTP7.jpg

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
My rule of thumb is if there is nothing more on the magnetic drain plug than light fuzz I don't pull the cover but if I have metal shavings or a substantial amount of build up I pull the cover and inspect my gears and clean out the housing. Oil is cheap compared to gears so I always after draining put the plug back in add a little oil and pull the plug back out, kind of a mini flush.

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi,
Thank you to everyone for contributing ideas to the discussion.

I am just investigating the idea of using a transfer pump to change the fluid and am still hoping to learn the experiences of some who have actually done so.

I have never bothered to change gear oil, and if asked why, I would probably explain that I follow a if it ain't broke don't beak it maintenance regime with my personal vehicles.

Having said that, the internet says I should change gear oil frequently, so I am considering options for doing so, while considering the options for a choice of diff skid plates.

It seems like some sort of drain and fill procedure will be noninvasive and maybe could not hurt.

For my own use, I do not see much need to inspect the gears visually. If there is a problem that is not obvious, inspecting the gears is unlikely to make the outcome differ. If the gears are getting damaged and need some fixing, they are going to get fixed when the problem does become obvious.

If using a fluid transfer rig has proven effective for some other users then I think I would like to try that out rather than remove and replace the differential skids just because I can.

Have you used a fluid transfer system to drain your differential? If so, do you feel that the procedure has been effective?

Thank you.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,
Thank you to everyone for contributing ideas to the discussion.

I am just investigating the idea of using a transfer pump to change the fluid and am still hoping to learn the experiences of some who have actually done so.

I have never bothered to change gear oil, and if asked why, I would probably explain that I follow a if it ain't broke don't beak it maintenance regime with my personal vehicles.

Having said that, the internet says I should change gear oil frequently, so I am considering options for doing so, while considering the options for a choice of diff skid plates.

It seems like some sort of drain and fill procedure will be noninvasive and maybe could not hurt.

For my own use, I do not see much need to inspect the gears visually. If there is a problem that is not obvious, inspecting the gears is unlikely to make the outcome differ. If the gears are getting damaged and need some fixing, they are going to get fixed when the problem does become obvious.

If using a fluid transfer rig has proven effective for some other users then I think I would like to try that out rather than remove and replace the differential skids just because I can.

Have you used a fluid transfer system to drain your differential? If so, do you feel that the procedure has been effective?

Thank you.
Do you also not change engine oil? I mean if it’s still running, why bother right?

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Yes.

I change the engine oil every 3000+/- miles.

The filter too.

FWIW, I use the drain plug on the oil pan for that job, which is why I do not have any experience with, and am seeking informed insights about the efficacy of using a transfer pump to drain fluid.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
It seems you’re learning a lot about doing maintenance yourself, which I think is great. Read up A LOT from different reliable sources, there’s a lot to learn and the Internet (forums in particular) can be one of your greatest resources and also one of your worst. People with much more experience than you have will give you bad advice on forums. It’s a fact. Usually not on purpose.

I saw you posted that you change oil every 3000 miles. That frequency of oil change interval made sense through the 80’s. Modern engines run much cleaner, lubricant quality is better, and filtration has improved. No new car made has a need for such frequent oil changes. 7500 to 10000 is reasonable in most circumstances and what Jeep recommends.

Gear oil absolutely does not need to be changed frequently unless you’ve got specific driving habits that require that (frequent heavy towing for example). 4 years or 40K miles is Jeep’s recommendation. Outside of problems or gear changes, this is something that normally happens only a handful of times in the life of a vehicle. Weigh that when considering if you want ease of oil changes to factor in what skids you choose or whether to pump it out or remove the cover completely.

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi,
I appreciate your thoughtfulness and helpful suggestions.

Thank you.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I'm replacing my front (M210) and rear (M220) differential covers after a year or so of blue trails that scraped up the OEM bolts enough to make me cringe. I'm at 26K miles, and was thinking of re-using the oil if I don't see too much metal on the drain plug. I've been looking for a way to put the oil back if the plug is pretty clean.

But after spending hours looking for a pump won't set me back more than new oil, or that isn't a $15 "roll your dice and take yer chances" type of crappy imported plastic on Amazon, I decided to buy new oil and call it a day.

Jeep Wrangler JL How about using a fluid transfer pump to drain gear oil? IMG_2788

Jeep Wrangler JL How about using a fluid transfer pump to drain gear oil? IMG_2789

Jeep Wrangler JL How about using a fluid transfer pump to drain gear oil? IMG_2787

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
There's no good reason to reuse gear oil. It's a few bucks for fresh oil and you have peace of mind.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
There's no good reason to reuse gear oil. It's a few bucks for fresh oil and you have peace of mind.
Yeah, it makes sense, thanks.
Sponsored