Sponsored

How about those hex bolts in the passenger's dash grab handle?

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi,
I would like to experiment with making some sort of camera holster attachment so I can have quick access to a camera when I come across wildlife in the field.

I am tempted to use/replace the hex bolt in the grab handle to fashion some sort of mount, and I thought it might be good to inquire about those bolts before I remove one. Heck, I don't want the airbag to blow into my face.

So does anyone have an experience pulling these bolts? Is it a straightforward remove and replace? Can you tell me what the thread spec is?

Thank you!
Sponsored

Bingman

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy’s
I can’t tell you the thread specs, but I can tell you they come out no issues. I had to remove them to install the CMM Morris for when I have the doors off. You might be able to order the ram mount that they machine and bolt that right to the grab handle. Ill have to take a look.

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Thank you for the info. I will go ahead and pull the bolt and I will figure out the thread.

Thanks for the tip about the Ram Mount products.

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Well bummer, they seem to just be decorator bolts of some sort. Kind of like make believe bead lock hardware on make believe bead lock wheels.

The hex head is 8mm but the threads are of the self tapping plastic masher variety.

The bolts do not seem to do anything but be there looking like bolts.

Jeep Wrangler JL How about those hex bolts in the passenger's dash grab handle? IMG_8229.JPG

Z&KOJL

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
The ram ball I bought with a motorcycle mount. I found a similar screw from the hardware store and it hold the phone solid and even hung my wife’s camera from it several times no issues
Jeep Wrangler JL How about those hex bolts in the passenger's dash grab handle? A7A6F958-BBC4-4902-8AE0-27B334429578

Sponsored

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Thank you for posting the photo of your mount set up.

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
For the time being, I have opted for a wide nylon strap wrapped around the grab handle and a quick connect to the camera holster. The Camera weighs a little under 10 pounds, and is bulky so I think it would place too much stress on the plastic the bolt is wedged in to.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
For the time being, I have opted for a wide nylon strap wrapped around the grab handle and a quick connect to the camera holster. The Camera weighs a little under 10 pounds, and is bulky so I think it would place too much stress on the plastic the bolt is wedged in to.
10 pounds? That a rotary dial phone?

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
LOL. This is the small camera, which I have been clumisly trying to keep at the ready anywhere I can squeeze it into the front seating area so I can make a few pictures when we come across interesting wildlife. The big cameras take a few minutes to drag out of the back and set up. More often than not the animals move away before we can make a close up picture. Here in the desert, wildlife sightings are less frequent than in other habitats, and the animals are shy or skittish compared to animals you might see in a place such as Yellowstone or the Everglades.

:)

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
Hey. I too run around with camera gear and needed a holster.

I took a strap off of some old DVD player case that runs between the seats. It's pretty hefty considering the big, old DVD tech's weight. I attached two plastic clips from my huge hoard camping gear parts to that. I hung a Lowepro long lens bag from it's shoulder strap hooks to those. The carry handle is snugged up to the two weight bearing straps that hold everything up. I used a short piece of cable Velcro strap so I can disconnect the bag quickly.

On the bottom of the camera bag they has an attachment ring. It's for a strap that can go around your thigh to prevent bouncing or something? That needs to be secured down. To that I have to have my seats down. This is essential.

On the back of the seat is an anchor point for child seats. I used a Husky strap/clip thing to make that a quick release point for that anchor loop at the bottom of the bag. The photo I have of the strap thing was from some big box store online. It's on the back roll bar in the one photo.

Without that anchor point secured the whole rig will swing and flip upside down.

I can drive for hours with a 400mm lens mounted and ready to go. There are miles of back roads here in the Driftless Area of Wisconsin. As an artist I have been working with others to create museum shows that highlight the natural beauty of the ever disappearing natural prairie oak savanna.

Recently I had to run to Oregon to bring home a long lost relative. I had three days to get there and took a few scenic routes. In all of the various projects I've done using my wrangler as a camera bag the holster I improvised works great.

But only if you keep the back seats down. That's fine with me, as it's usually just me or one other when I work.

Jeep Wrangler JL How about those hex bolts in the passenger's dash grab handle? IMG_20200916_181505

Jeep Wrangler JL How about those hex bolts in the passenger's dash grab handle? IMG_20200722_131528

Jeep Wrangler JL How about those hex bolts in the passenger's dash grab handle? IMG_20190429_122214

Jeep Wrangler JL How about those hex bolts in the passenger's dash grab handle? IMG_20200719_170248

Jeep Wrangler JL How about those hex bolts in the passenger's dash grab handle? IMG_20200730_144704

Jeep Wrangler JL How about those hex bolts in the passenger's dash grab handle? IMG_20200731_224943_451

Jeep Wrangler JL How about those hex bolts in the passenger's dash grab handle? RL2_0265_Within-the-Driftless_2020_05_26

BTW, this photo was selected to be part of our local communities' "Driftless Strong 2020" online/walkup art show. It's a collection of photos taken the local villagers and curated by our history museum. I laughed really hard when I saw they selected this along with a number of my recent images.

Sponsored

T4STE

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
oswachiart.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Graphic Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Depending on the camera, I have my point and shoot in a backpack strap harness that I have mounted to my JCR overhead molle panel. You can see it next to my cb radio overhead.
Jeep Wrangler JL How about those hex bolts in the passenger's dash grab handle? 6DF26B95-32DE-4B33-8258-6E69F9A9796E.JPG

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Well bummer, they seem to just be decorator bolts of some sort. Kind of like make believe bead lock hardware on make believe bead lock wheels.

The hex head is 8mm but the threads are of the self tapping plastic masher variety.

The bolts do not seem to do anything but be there looking like bolts.

Jeep Wrangler JL How about those hex bolts in the passenger's dash grab handle? 6DF26B95-32DE-4B33-8258-6E69F9A9796E.JPG
Yea I couldn’t find replacement bolt with that thread.
I drilled and screwed it in.
Mine works but I question that is worth my time or money instead of just ordering the nice aluminum CMM mount.
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/ram-or-67-phone-mount.31646/post-537537
Sponsored