Sponsored

How about a JLU XL?!

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
How about an Extended-Length JLU Wrangler, as long as a Gladiator, with one continuous passenger/cargo compartment? Let me explain how I arrived at this possibly-interesting vehicle concept:

In another, unrelated forum where I lurk, a gentleman in Georgia has put a very nice-looking tan camper top on the bed of his new tan Gladiator, along with other modifications. The effect is very attractive, and the comments on that forum are very positive. Since I don't have his permission to copy and post his pictures here, and since I know that some forum moderators are goosey about links to other forums, I won't post the pictures. But anyone out there that has done something similar, please add to this thread.

Story not finished: I emailed the pictures to my son who has a 2018 JLU, and he responded immediately, "Holy sh*t do want!"

That got me thinking. A camper top on a Gladiator's bed still leaves two separate compartments. While tradesmen/-women might want to separate their work materials from the passenger cabin, others of us like the option to fold down the rear seats and benefit from a continuous cargo area. Like when going on vacation, picking up home repair materials, etc. It occurred to me that a hard-/soft-/hybrid-top, extended length "JLU XL," extended to the length of the Gladiator might be a very interesting vehicle. Think Chevy Tahoe vs. Suburban. There are many observations and complaints about the limited cargo space in both the 2-door and JLU Wranglers. Extending that area behind the rear seats 30" (the Gladiator is 30" longer than the JLU) would create a very, very generous cargo area. Extend the wheelbase to match the Gladiator, and highway handling would benefit as well (per all the Gladiator reports). Off-Road would match the Gladiator, maybe better with added chassis stiffness from a longer "Sport Bar" or whatever they call it this week. As I said, this might be a very interesting vehicle.

My son's reaction to this concept: "I'd be in." That's "he" for "I." But I would be in, too.

What are your thoughts, fellow Jeepers?

(Hey, FCA, you've got at least two buyers here. Just waitin'!)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
... What are your thoughts, fellow Jeepers?...
Those gladiators are pretty smoking! The ones from the last SEMA show have me drooling for one that I can mod the heck out of. Personally though, I’m happy with the current sizes offered for the JL.

On an unrelated note, can we have this?

CA18C58C-523D-4F48-89EF-04B8EB7A3FD6.jpeg

97625F70-7908-4102-A062-9C8C1D22D8B1.jpeg

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i'm hoping that jeep will come out with the 2 door version of the truck either the j6 or j12. the gladiators are nice, but kinda bummed on some styling of it. i'd still consider getting a gladiator if the price is right.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Those gladiators are pretty smoking! The ones from the last SEMA show have me drooling for one that I can mod the heck out of. Personally though, I’m happy with the current sizes offered for the JL.

CA18C58C-523D-4F48-89EF-04B8EB7A3FD6.jpeg

97625F70-7908-4102-A062-9C8C1D22D8B1.jpeg
I'm really hoping this becomes production in a few years. If not, guess I'll be getting a Raptor.

Sponsored

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
While the 2-dr gladiator is super cool, barely 17% of JL’s are 2-door. Would they do it?

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
Nice...OP wants a Wrangler as long as a Gladiator, and yet so far, most of the posts are discussing/wishing for a Gladiator as small as a (2-door) Wrangler! :LOL:

(Have to say...I'd be in that group wishing for the 2-door Gladiator instead, too. :blush: )

NJJeep Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Yella JLU
Didn't Chevy try that with the original avalanche? Don't remember that lasting long so it must not have been a great idea. A full covered bed has an advantage, but a wall between you and cargo is still the safest situation

Bril

First Name
Bill TxRedRubi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 392, 2024 JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
These guys have a conversation kit for the JK. I was on an overland trip with the owner Glenn last fall and he said they were working on a kit for the JL. The roof top tent built into the new hardtop was pretty cool.

https://www.americansafarijxl.com/JXLConversion

Sponsored

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler X-Gone, 2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase

Jeep Wrangler JL How about a JLU XL?! 97625F70-7908-4102-A062-9C8C1D22D8B1

Of course we can't have this. But I think it would sell like hotcakes.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL

THIS, MOHAVE, MANUAL...

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
A Wrangler as long as a Gladiator? Sounds like a "station wagon Wrangler". It would compromise either the approach angles or lengthen the wheelbase to compromise the breakover angle, for the 2% of owners that might take them offroad. Jeep did this with the Commander and I don't think it sold very well. Maybe they should make a "Jeep Minivan", it would serve most owners better than the current JLU.