Sponsored

How’s your ride on 37s?

Mr.Smith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X
Looks good man. Didnt know you could run the freedom panels without top. They pretty secure at hwy speed?
37’s 12.50 17x8 maxxis MT on stock gears on 3.5 inches Metalcloak lift . Rides really good just mpg down a lil bit might re gear later but not priority

69DD8C95-CDE2-49FF-B6CE-76D04BE7ABF4.jpeg

56A5F0FC-8BB9-4713-92FA-C1D9B3D75B06.jpeg
Sponsored

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Good on y’all who run 37s for serious wheeling.
Y’all get big, tangible, real-world benefits on the trail.
If you’re just styling them around town, good on you too, as long as you realize they are horribly impractical and costing you fuel efficiency, braking efficiency, handling efficiency, power delivery, and causing parts wear.
They DO look cool, though.
No doubt about that.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I dont fully agree with all that was said here. There have been many guys running 5.13s on older D44s that have been fine. Maybe there are some accounts of crappy gear vendors or "extraneous" conditions that will break gear teeth, but we should be able to run 5.13s with these newer D44s. The newer D44s are stronger and build better than the oder ones. The above opinion should not sway you away from re-gearing.

We have 2 2019 JL's and to the question of "should i re-gear?", i would say: it depends.

I have the 6sp and i would absolutely re-gear running 37s, especially if you tow. I feel that you would lose too much if you didnt. If you didnt do any towing, you might be able to get away with it. The only experience i dont have yet is crawling, so i cant comment on that aspect (yet).

My wife has the 2.0, so its auto. On hers - there's absolutely no reason to re-gear. That turbo holds the added weight VERY nicely and you can feel the turbo when accelerating....like there was no weight added at all....it's surprising.

To cover all the bases - i dont have personal experience with the 3.6 auto, but my buddy runs 37s on hit 3.6 auto and he has not felt any need to re-gear yet. That being said: he does not tow and he hasn't been crawling yet either. I will be glad to update my opinion down the road, but we should have more confidence than maybe what was said above. Not starting the fight, just providing another opinion in the matter.
I’m running 37s with 3.6 auto, no issues. It handles the 37s just fine. I’ll probably go to 4.88s eventually, but not out of necessity, more for my ocd, wanting to get it back to stock specs. It crawls and tows just fine, I just don’t see 8th gear as often.....:)

IdahoSurveyor

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-door 1985 Chevy M1028
Anybody else other than DzrrShrk wrapped on 20s? This is the setup I’d like to go with on my JLUS 2.0, but with 11mpg I’ll consider staying with 17s.
I am running 37's on 20" rims, 2" Dynatrac lift. I average 18.5 mpg with my 2.0L turbo/8-speed auto with 4:88 gears. I love the ride and drive and would not change a thing.

Jeep20.jpg

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I am running 37's on 20" rims, 2" Dynatrac lift. I average 18.5 mpg with my 2.0L turbo/8-speed auto with 4:88 gears. I love the ride and drive and would not change a thing.

Jeep20.jpg

That’s a mighty handsome Jeep, Sir.

Sponsored

IdahoSurveyor

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-door 1985 Chevy M1028

Mark7411

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
37’ Nitto Ridge Grapplers on 2” RE spacer lift running 28psi. Rides great with stock springs. 2018 JLUR
I’m looking at the same set up, but 315 Nitto. Will they fit without rubbing with factory rims and 2.5 lift. Don’t want wheel spacers.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
We'll have to agree to disagree that it's a "matter of time" before things break considering if one puts 37s on their Jeep and never wheels it, they'll probably break nothing. Or, if they drive pretty cautiously on moderate trails, they probably won't break anything either related to the tires being that size or a ratio lower than 4.10s.

How many R&Ps have you broken, Steve? I've run 5.38s in a D44, 4.88 & 5.29s in Toyota axles all on 37s and 38s...never broke any R&Ps. I currently run 5.86s in my D60s...no issues there either on competition compound 40s.

I'd hardly call it a "fact". Opinion maybe. Do larger tires stress parts more? Definitely. But claiming it will definitely result in breakage is purely conjecture on your part.
Oh come on this is silly, obviously bigger tires put more stress on. And like any mass produced item you will get a range of results from the added stress.

Once you put on tires that much bigger than stock you start an upgrade train. It can be fun, or in some cases it can get frustrating.

Atleast suspension have better options for quality kits, I lifted a truck in the 80s and put bigger axles on etc, by the time I was done, felt like you were getting killed on the highway

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
You've just reiterated the obvious that we all agree with....more stress is caused by larger tires, but then you also point out what I did....that blanket statements aren't going to be accurate since you'll get a "range of results". I'm not sure what's "silly" about my comment versus yours since you essentially just repeated what I said.

No one argued larger tires don't put more stress on components.

And...not everyone who puts on 37s will start an 'upgrade train'. Again, if you're mostly running easier trails or don't really plan to wheel at all....then you can pretty much slap 37s on the JL, cut a few things off and leave it alone.
Reality is stock JLs are seeing death wobble, put 37s on and you will find all those weak spots through out the various systems.

Plan on having to do more upgrades, and if you dont need to thats great. Driveshafts, trackbars are easy victims, then you will find yourself wanting gears, Tazer, etc (yes this is obvious to many, but not all on a forum this wide). 37 are not a "done deal" not likely to never need anything upgrade.

Its fun stuff if you enjoy it, my point is if you dont enjoy doing these things, a more mild lift tire is easier and less likely to push the upgrade train.

Sponsored

RMojitoJL

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon *Mojito*, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude, 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Occupation
Loan Officer
Vehicle Showcase
love mine, stock gear no issues. mpg average is about 16.5-17.0 on a non-heavy foot. :jk: :like:

RMojitoJL Going UP (2).jpg

RMojitoJL 702.jpg

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Sometimes I just wish I had a dead horse.

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37’s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
I’m looking at the same set up, but 315 Nitto. Will they fit without rubbing with factory rims and 2.5 lift. Don’t want wheel spacers.
Can’t tell you because I have aftermarket rims. I believe you have to run wheel spacers with stock rims on 37’s. My buddy bought the factory rims through Quadratec the had the proper backspacing

Buster86

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Production Operator
37x12.5x17 BFG Km3's. 3.5" MC lift full adjustable arms and track bars. Falcon shocks and steering dampener. Drives straight at 80 mph with no bump steer, wondering, or wobble. Can drive with one hand comfortably. 15-16mpg at 75 / 17-18mpg at 65 with 4.10 gears automatic transmission.

Key is having adjustable arms and track bars on anything over 2.5" so that you can center everything correctly. I have toe at 1/8" in and caster at about 7 degrees. For me I noticed driveline vibration at over 9 caster when troubleshooting. At 4 and below of caster it would wonder and not self center well. 6-7 seems to keep the wheels centered and not have the vibration. Vibration does start increasing rapidly after 85mph though.
20190523_175547.jpg

View attachment 200800

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

EandEsons87

First Name
Gustavo R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
Looks good man. Didnt know you could run the freedom panels without top. They pretty secure at hwy speed?
Yeah been riding like that all summer seems pretty secure...
Sponsored