Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
To me it’s just another way to experience the out doors, and that gear is what’s used for that type of camping. You go hiking, you take backpack, you go hiking/camping you take tent, you go canoeing you take a canoe, you go over landing you take your Jeep and rrt, and rest of your gear. Simple as that, certainly not worth getting your under garments in a twist over it. ;)
Sponsored

Georgew48

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
EF358419-5297-4F0C-917A-D6E0542C842A.jpeg
B62DCDAF-F9CE-4F83-920D-124ABF35348C.jpeg
Yea, I would neve spend that much on a RTT.[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Decked out for Overlanding is a lot more practical than rock crawling since 90% of off-road scenarios are more like Overlanding than crawling. Rock crawling seems to be more of a fancy pants fad since it's for rich yuppies that can afford to risk their entire expensive vehicle just to flex their muscles and you'll most likely never have to crawl directly up a wall in a zombie apocalypse, but there will be many times where you'll need to camp out in comfort with your tent, scavenge and store loot on your roof rack, travel longer distances with all your extra gas cans.

Sincerely,
-Devil's Advocate

Sponsored

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Decked out for Overlanding is a lot more practical than rock crawling since 90% of off-road scenarios are more like Overlanding than crawling. Rock crawling seems to be more of a fancy pants fad since it's for rich yuppies that can afford to risk their entire expensive vehicle just to flex their muscles and you'll most likely never have to crawl directly up a wall in a zombie apocalypse, but there will be many times where you'll need to camp out in comfort with your tent, scavenge and store loot on your roof rack, travel longer distances with all your extra gas cans.

Sincerely,
-Devil's Advocate
Not really. There are plenty of trails that require your vehicle to go over some serious rocks. Rigs than can crawl can be used for "overlanding." However, the dirt trails you're talking about can be handled by any SUV or a subaru with decent tires. Drive out to Moab in a stock wrangler and you'll see the limitations pretty quickly, especially if it isn't a rubicon. A stock wrangler can go deeper into the wilderness than say a CRV, and a built wrangler can go deeper into the wilderness than a stock one. Not only that, a good amount of overland items actually make the rig worse offroad, so that puts a hole in your argument as well. Having said all that, it all depends on where you're going and what you plan on doing. Do you need to build a rig that has 37s and pro rocks for basically the right half of the united states? No you do not, there is nothing here that necessitates that. However, if you like to play out west, as I do for example, then yes, building a rig capable of crawling larger rocks is beneficial, because not only does it give you a little peace of mind, it also prepares you for what may be thrown at you by mother nature, as trails change constantly and you may find yourself having to deal with obstacles you didn't plan encountering. I suggest you take your rig out west at least once so you can appreciate what I'm talking about above.....plus it's where you really get to enjoy your jeep.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
This entire website is dedicated to a vehicle that is excessively over priced and completely unnecessary to 99% of Americans. So picking on folks who spend money on camping gear seems a little... I dunno... pointless.

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Not really. There are plenty of trails that require your vehicle to go over some serious rocks. Rigs than can crawl can be used for "overlanding." However, the dirt trails you're talking about can be handled by any SUV or a subaru with decent tires. Drive out to Moab in a stock wrangler and you'll see the limitations pretty quickly, especially if it isn't a rubicon. A stock wrangler can go deeper into the wilderness than say a CRV, and a built wrangler can go deeper into the wilderness than a stock one. Not only that, a good amount of overland items actually make the rig worse offroad, so that puts a hole in your argument as well. Having said all that, it all depends on where you're going and what you plan on doing. Do you need to build a rig that has 37s and pro rocks for basically the right half of the united states? No you do not, there is nothing here that necessitates that. However, if you like to play out west, as I do for example, then yes, building a rig capable of crawling larger rocks is beneficial, because not only does it give you a little peace of mind, it also prepares you for what may be thrown at you by mother nature, as trails change constantly and you may find yourself having to deal with obstacles you didn't plan encountering. I suggest you take your rig out west at least once so you can appreciate what I'm talking about above.....plus it's where you really get to enjoy your jeep.
You're missing the point. Most real world apocalyptic situations are better suited for Overland vehicles, such as previously mentioned multiple places for gas cans, roof racks or tents which also destroys your "crawling rigs do better off-road", but doesn't do diddly squat when it comes to MOST off-road scenarios. How often will you have to crawl over an abandoned car? That's what driving around and winches are for. Even your previous MOAB has alternate routes on almost every single obstacle and this is not about where you really get to enjoy your jeep, this is Overland vs Rock Crawling setup.

Bottom line, rock crawling = rich folks who can afford the risk to do things that you'll most likely never do even during an apocalypse, and Overland = most useful for all scenarios

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
I don't know. I think think they are cool. And one persons idea of camping may not be another's. My idea of camping is in the semi-middle of nowhere with the jeeps parked close to the "camp". The Flight For Life helicopter parked there was taking it a bit too far. But hey, life happens and the kid (unrelated and unknown) lived after driving his quad off a cliff.

Img0623.JPG

Sponsored

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
The word "overlanding" is completely abused and misused (I blame millennials). I agree with you 100%. There is a difference however between car camping and overlanding and it finally made sense to me when it was described as "a self-sustained, multi day off roading trip without a destination".

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
You're missing the point. Most real world apocalyptic situations are better suited for Overland vehicles, such as previously mentioned multiple places for gas cans, roof racks or tents which also destroys your "crawling rigs do better off-road", but doesn't do diddly squat when it comes to MOST off-road scenarios. How often will you have to crawl over an abandoned car? That's what driving around and winches are for. Even your previous MOAB has alternate routes on almost every single obstacle and this is not about where you really get to enjoy your jeep, this is Overland vs Rock Crawling setup.

Bottom line, rock crawling = rich folks who can afford the risk to do things that you'll most likely never do even during an apocalypse, and Overland = most useful for all scenarios
With all due respect, this is utter nonsense. I can say the same thing about your post....about gas cans....how many places in the US can you get THAT far away where a full tank isn't enough to get you in/out? Add to that, the amount of people that try and reach said places? We are not discussing 40" tire equipped rigs with no interior, cut tubs, etcs. The "overlanding" nonsense is like the craft beer hipster term now. Explain to me what makes a rock crawling Jeep vs an overlanding Jeep? As for the rich folks comment, you're kidding right? All that overland stuff costs a fortune, be it a roof rack, an RTT, rear carriers, etc.

JC7

First Name
Jdog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
I disagree with OP, but don’t understand how people got their feelings so hurt by it.

Not everyone who disagrees with the mass is a “troll”. People are so sensitive these days. It’s the internet...

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
With all due respect, this is utter nonsense. I can say the same thing about your post....about gas cans....how many places in the US can you get THAT far away where a full tank isn't enough to get you in/out? Add to that, the amount of people that try and reach said places? We are not discussing 40" tire equipped rigs with no interior, cut tubs, etcs. The "overlanding" nonsense is like the craft beer hipster term now. Explain to me what makes a rock crawling Jeep vs an overlanding Jeep? As for the rich folks comment, you're kidding right? All that overland stuff costs a fortune, be it a roof rack, an RTT, rear carriers, etc.
The cost of rock crawling is in the body damage. Treating your $50k Jeep like a toy vs living in it for weeks at a time. That’s the difference.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.