Status
Not open for further replies.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
As long as we are trolling...

I assumed the roof top tents are because people are worried about their Wranglers breaking down, so they always have a place to stay.

And yes, I am just kidding.
Sponsored

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
As long as we are trolling...

I assumed the roof top tents are because people are worried about their Wranglers breaking down, so they always have a place to stay.

And yes, I am just kidding.
Wait till your rear main seal starts leaking

Jaym

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I don't like RTT's. I can see if it had easy setup and take down, and you basically lived out of your jeep that it might be beneficial, but I easily set up a small tent at camp with no issue.

I like to go out for a few days at a time, a few times a year, in often remote locations in Utah. I don't consider myself an "overlander" in the truest sense where I would drive from Canada to S. America, but I do like some of the gear. I'd like to get the awning set up on a roof rack as last year I was in the desert on white rim loop (its about 100 miles--gasp, we didn't need extra fuel) and we had a lot of downtime in the day in august with absolutely zero shade. It would also work awesome for tailgating and BBQ'ing at a ski resort when its snowing or if its raining at camp.

I also want the ARB fridge. Dealing with ice (or dry ice taking up space) is a PITA--especially if you like to bring good food.

Other than that, what else is there? Lights? They cool. Roof racks. Yes, they cool. HAM radio? No thanks. That sounds like a bunch of trouble and a time suck. I have a cell phone and a SPOT / Garmin equivalent.

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
Quite the contradiction to tell me to stop liking what you don't like and promoting freedom in the same post...

You do you king, I'm not stopping you.
Your Sarcasm Detector needs new batteries ;)

And I honestly never heard of the "HOT TAKE" tag until now. I spend a good amount of time on a few forums but hadn't seen that before. Always something new...

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Your Sarcasm Detector needs new batteries ;)

And I honestly never heard of the "HOT TAKE" tag until now. I spend a good amount of time on a few forums but hadn't seen that before. Always something new...
You should spend more time on Twitter... on second thought, don’t

Sponsored

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
You should spend more time on Twitter... on second thought, don’t
Ohhh... that explains it. I avoid Twitter & Facebook like the plagues that they are.

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

Here is my take on this subject. Overlanding is not a new concept, but the increase in its popularity has done several things. First it puts folks that normally would not be outdoors, in an outdoor environment, and adds to the support for keeping land open for off road use. Recently there is a push to shut down access to public land for vehicle useage, and having more folks on our side is incredibly important to continue to have space to do things that we enjoy doing in our vehicles be it rock crawling, car camping, overlanding etc.

Personally, I think the overlanding scene has produced some incredible gear that although is expensive, solves some issues that existed, while walking a fine line between maximizing comfort, functionality and capability (for some vehicle types not all) From a comfort standpoint, I refuse to "rough" it, I spent 20+ years "roughing" it in the Army, and I would not ask my wife to rough it. Making it more comfortable for her gets her more interested in going out on adventures.

Overland Expo for example has exploded over the last 5 years, although I believe that some of the reason for its growing popularity is using "adventure travel" as fashion, similar to the growing "van life" movement. But the good news is that folks go to the event to learn skills (recovery, bushcraft, border crossing, etc) and meet other folks that are interested in a similar lifestyle.
Well said. I think OPs post was speaking to that “adventure travel as fashion” thing that is currently happening. Of course there are legit OL practitioners, many here in this thread, but it’s really taken off recently, noticeably. Like Horseshoe Bend being overrun after it became a hivemind meme on Instagram, sometimes it feels the OL vendors are overselling a niche. Fantastic point on more bodies in the community aiding overall trail access btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.