Hot seat solutions with top off?

jdthird

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
Since I had to return the junk Bestop soft top, I'm left with removing the hard top for the time being for an open feeling. Not a big deal, I have a hoist in the garage and a scaffolding suggested in another thread to store it longer term if I want out of the way.

But I have the dark leather inside of the JL, so those seats get HOT.

I was thinking of getting some light colored queen sized fitted bedsheet I could just drape over the front seats when it's parked out there so it's not so dang hot to sit on, and the elastic should help keep them in place short of really heavy winds.

At some point I may get seat covers but already had a bad experience with those as well, having to be returned and only getting half what I paid for, so between that and the top, I"m thinking I'll just enjoy a little mudding and top / doors off for a bit this summer and deal with seat covers over the winter if I decide to do so.

And we've got at least a week long stretch of sun and no rain, so I want to maximize it.

Anyone else do anything similar? Any better suggestions?

Thanks

John
Sponsored

OP
OP
jdthird

jdthird

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
Got the spiderwebshade for the front already, but that does not do much for the hot seats in a sitting jeep since it only partially blocks the sun, and nothing at all for the angles if the doors are off and the sun is coming in off the side. I got that just to keep my head from peeling too much since I shave my head. ;) Love the spiderwebshade though, went through three others to find the one I liked the best and kept...

OP
OP
jdthird

jdthird

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
still leaves seats vulnerable from sun coming in at an angle with doors off depending on time of day and angle of sun. Not that big a deal for me I've had convertibles for decades so my rear can deal with it, but my son is young and has issues with it especially if he's in shorts... Sometimes I can make sure to park the right way, but other times depending on where I'm at, I don't get the option. I've just tossed towels on the seats as well since that works wonders and is easy, but I figured a fitted sheet would be simple and quick, and collapses to nothing to shove just about anywhere for storage. Not to mention I've seen people in public parking lots spitting in cars and such with the tops off, this at least keeps that kind of inane childish crap off the actual seats...

I ordered one from Amazon and it'll be here Wednesday, I guess I'll be the guinea pig for the concept. ;)

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue JLUR
I have seen in the Quadratec catalog some “Jeep” beach towel seat covers. I think they would look better than sheets.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jdthird

jdthird

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile

offset_98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1993 Nissan 300ZX, 2015 Subaru Outback, 2011 Toyota Sienna
This is the exact reason I specifically ordered cloth. Sorry, couldn't resist. I have little kids and knew that would be an issue.

As others have said, a sun shade helps some. It helped for my armrest which is pleather but what I see down here a lot is seat flipped forward with towel over steering wheel and draped over the seat to catch te sides. Maybe that will work?

bcampion

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-2020
This is the exact reason I specifically ordered cloth. Sorry, couldn't resist. I have little kids and knew that would be an issue.

As others have said, a sun shade helps some. It helped for my armrest which is pleather but what I see down here a lot is seat flipped forward with towel over steering wheel and draped over the seat to catch te sides. Maybe that will work?
Also a lighter color like TAN, the BLACK absorbs heat too much

Sponsored

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Downside with something like that is if I go somewhere like Great America outside of Chicago someone will steal them for sure... I don't see people likely to steal a fitted bedsheet. ;) For me I care less how it looks since I won't be there anyway, just want the functionality.
That seller on amazon has a ton of varieties including plain colors without logos. Maybe just a plain color without a logo would be safe?

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 1998 TJ Sport 2011 Extreme Camper
Occupation
HR Manager
I was going to suggest the cab cover.

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I spend a lot of time at the beach and this would be awesome for that wet sandy return. I'll have to get two of those.
These are awesome, I bought 2 and now I need 2 more as the kids take them.

OP
OP
jdthird

jdthird

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
Yeah, I just bought two of those blue Jeep covers... If they get stolen they get stolen. They'll get used a lot more places than outside of Chicago so maybe I'll get some use out of them before someone does a 5 finger discount on them... Besides I had enough points at Amazon that two of them were free.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Sponsored