Sponsored

Horsepower vs Torque

What will affect your decision about a diesel engine, Is it Horsepower or Torque

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
hp-v-torque_b.jpg

It also has to do with the gearbox, but where will your final decision be horsepower or torque? (Diesel engines)
Sponsored

Last edited:

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Probably should just change that to HP or Toque for whichever engine, might get more respondents?

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor, 1997 Lexus LX450
Diesel needs to make at least 200 hp to be an option for me. The 240 hp figure I keep reading is decent. I'd love 300 hp. Torque is a static measure. It's horsepower you need to pass slow traffic and go up the long hills.

If the hurricane4 makes the rumored HP numbers and the torque curve isn't weak and/or peaky, it doesn't seem like the diesel is worth it. We'll have to wait and see.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
If the 368HP, 350ish torque 2.0 numbers are correct, there's no way I'll get the 240hp/420tq diesel. If the 2.0 numbers are correct I can totally see the diesel getting a bump in power as well for 2019 models, plenty of time for Jeep to work on diesel numbers. Maybe 280hp, 460tq diesel would change my mind. :) C'mon Jeep!

OP
OP
Ahmed

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I did this humble work for people who need to know the subject in a simplified way.

hff7pua7dq83.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ahmed

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
If the 368HP, 350ish torque 2.0 numbers are correct, there's no way I'll get the 240hp/420tq diesel. If the 2.0 numbers are correct I can totally see the diesel getting a bump in power as well for 2019 models, plenty of time for Jeep to work on diesel numbers. Maybe 280hp, 460tq diesel would change my mind. :) C'mon Jeep!
These numbers are very amazing, but what will be the fate of Pentastar Do you update again or retire?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I don't understand. I thought everybody bought diesels for torque. Diesels are inherently designed for torque, not horsepower. They have long piston strokes. They never have and never will be high horsepower engines.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Torque AND fuel economy. I've driven in the Grand Cherokee with the diesel and it's delicious.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Some diesels, such as the latest Duramax in the full size GM trucks, have great horsepower numbers to go with astronomical torque ratings.

240 is a lot more hp than my 3.8, and 420 lbs of torque coming in at very low rpms, surely lower than a the turbo 4. I'd absolutely order the diesel, if it were available soon enough to arrive by summer.

As it is, I'm leaning toward the Pentastar and manual. I believe it will be the most proven powertrain in the bunch, which makes me feel better about going out into remote places. I also just find a manual more engaging and entertaining. It will most likely be the last manual I'll ever buy. Coming from a 3.8, it should feel like a healthy upgrade in power. If the 2.0 had a manual option, I'd maybe consider it, if it puts out those numbers. I'm a bit apprehensive of an all new FCA engine design, though.

OP
OP
Ahmed

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
If the engineers of the HEMI Chrysler engines exist, there is no need to worry or be surprised : )

Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Torque AND fuel economy. I've driven in the Grand Cherokee with the diesel and it's delicious.
what kind of mileage are the Jeep GC getting with the ecodiesel? Also, anyone know what changes Jeep had to make to get it re certified again?

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
what kind of mileage are the Jeep GC getting with the ecodiesel? Also, anyone know what changes Jeep had to make to get it re certified again?
The EPA rates it at 18/25. I don't think it's quite that good and they aren't really all that impressive in the grand scheme, but those numbers on a Wrangler (or close to them) would be just fine with me. I think the GC with the diesel is damn near 5,000lbs, too.

Ben67

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Liberty CRD
Occupation
Retired
hp-v-torque_b.jpg

It also has to do with the gearbox, but where will your final decision be horsepower or torque? (Diesel engines)
I don't understand this question. People wanting to get diesel is because of high toruqe in low rev. My CRD is behaving like a beast in 1800-2200 rpm. I never have heard someone planning to get a diesel because of its horsepower.
Sponsored