Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
AtlasOffroadConcepts.com
Vehicle(s)
(2) 2019 JLURs, 2015 JKU, 2010 JK
Vehicle Showcase
No, it's not a sport... but I am impressed with this...

20190801_090532.jpg

And this is the Jeep...

smaller view Atlas 1.jpg

2019 JLUR on 40s, 4 1/2" coilovers, 3.6/4.10, borla exhaust, aFe cold air intake, Pulsar (set on Tow) ... I'll take that gas mileage any day!

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Is it just crappy gas mileage because of NYC driving? I really don't know. I live in the middle of a corn field. I only have to worry about raccoons, possums, deer and big foot/grass man. (Also, @brazos is right. Sherpas are the work horse of Everest.):like:

Also, doesn't the JL "learn" as the break-in period progresses?
I live and drive in NYC. 50% of my driving by time (not mileage) is in NYC and the dense areas around it, the other half is once I get on the highway. However, the highways around here can have plenty of traffic too. I average 22-23 mpg, 3.6 V6, MT, 2 dr Sport, all stock still. If the on-board mileage gauge is to be believed...

This weekend I will reset the meter and see how I do just in Manhattan and report back.

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have no idea what to do, dealer say nothing happen to my jeep but they did test drive already many times and even they know the milages is bad but never solve, i talk about lemon law but they ignore they say there is no problem in my jeep , i think its factory defect i don't know how to solve my problem, or where to go or contact right person. i don't know the law about it,
is any one know what to do for this situation, contact with right person who can fights or listen for customer.
i live in New York dive only 20 miles a day to work, also not in city no traffic and hill.
Suggest you contact Jeep Cares. Or FCA directly. Don’t let the dealer inform you about your rights...their incentives are not aligned with yours.

NCBound

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
Suggest you contact Jeep Cares. Or FCA directly. Don’t let the dealer inform you about your rights...their incentives are not aligned with yours.
@sherpa1 This really can't be stressed enough. The @JeepCares forum account is fantastic and their willingness to step in as an additional layer of support between you and your dealer that is refusing to repair your Jeep is invaluable. If you send them a private message, they will help you work towards getting your problem addressed.

Sponsored

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
What kills me is my habit of remote start 5 mins before leaving the house and 5 mins before leaving work.

I reset my trip the other day and was doing about 21 in the city. Went to church and remote started when service ended. Hopped in and suddenly I was at ~17.5. Its been dropping since lol.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Rubicon fully stock 18 -21
Have you ever reset the mileage after you fill up. Zero it out.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
does anyone know about the gas mileage in JL sport, i had really bad gas mileage only 13 miles per gallon no modification all stock rims, bumper. i took dealer service center but they say depend the way i drive, no offroad just city and highway. i took like many time to service center never solve my problem in gas.
I am doing about 19 in a city but I drive it easy

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
does anyone know about the gas mileage in JL sport, i had really bad gas mileage only 13 miles per gallon no modification all stock rims, bumper. i took dealer service center but they say depend the way i drive, no offroad just city and highway. i took like many time to service center never solve my problem in gas.
I just got a 2019 JLUS with the 2.0 Turbo and drive half city half highway most days and been getting 24 MPG. Just did 2 Inch lift and 33's on and still running 24 MPG. I have been using 93 Octane fuel since its been Hot lately in Texas. Book says 87 octane good but recommend 91 during hot weather, We have 93 here so using that.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Rubicon fully stock 18 -21
Have you ever reset the mileage after you fill up. Zero it out.
now that I purchased a new Jeep I do it to see if the mileage is improving and I am very pleased to say YES , it is improving and I am at 12 liters / 100 km in the city which is about 19 miles/gallon but it is a 2 dr. manual and I drive it with a light foot and usually outside the heavy traffic jams

Sponsored

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
No, it's not a sport... but I am impressed with this...

20190801_090532.jpg

And this is the Jeep...

smaller view Atlas 1.jpg

2019 JLUR on 40s, 4 1/2" coilovers, 3.6/4.10, borla exhaust, aFe cold air intake, Pulsar (set on Tow) ... I'll take that gas mileage any day!
Yea... if mine looked anything like yours i would be impressed with 14+ as well!! That is a beast and should easily be getting (by look) 8-10mpg lol!

rtucker6508

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
AtlasOffroadConcepts.com
Vehicle(s)
(2) 2019 JLURs, 2015 JKU, 2010 JK
Vehicle Showcase
Yea... if mine looked anything like yours i would be impressed with 14+ as well!! That is a beast and should easily be getting (by look) 8-10mpg lol!
No doubt... that's what I was expecting!

HolyNite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU

I have 3.5in lift on a JLU with 35s and 4.88 gears auto and I'm average 17 total (16-17 city and 19-20 highway) I don't know what your doing

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I live and drive in NYC. 50% of my driving by time (not mileage) is in NYC and the dense areas around it, the other half is once I get on the highway. However, the highways around here can have plenty of traffic too. I average 22-23 mpg, 3.6 V6, MT, 2 dr Sport, all stock still. If the on-board mileage gauge is to be believed...

This weekend I will reset the meter and see how I do just in Manhattan and report back.
@sherpa1

As promised, I did some tests this weekend. I went beyond the city as you will see, but the first leg of the first test is probably a good proxy for what would happen just in the city.

For other readers, there are some route details in here for the benefit of the OP that you may wish to skip so there is a TLDR tag below.

Ok, so here is my configuration:

2 door 2018 JL Sport
Stock wheels (245/75R17 stock Bridgestone Dueler AT tires)
3.6L V6 gasoline
6 speed manual transmission
LSD

The Jeep is all stock. I added only side steps and a spare tire cover. Rear seat removed. At the end of this weekend I have close to 2000 miles on it so I think it’s at least partially broken in.

For fuel I used 87 octane (R+M)/2 detergent gasoline from major brand sources. I always started with a close to full tank or filled up during the trip.

MPG and OAT readings from the onboard computer.

My driving style can probably be described as a bit on the conservative side: rarely hard acceleration, I go with the flow of traffic and don’t speed too much/often, I avoid hard braking, I don’t switch lanes and accelerate during cruise just to get a bit further unless there’s a real slow poke in front of me, etc.

Friday 8/2 - OAT average in the mid to high 80s F. Humidity high. 1st leg soft top up, ESS=0, AC on MAX. 2nd leg top down, ESS=1, no AC.

Drove from Cooper Union to the Village, removed the rear seat, then across on Houston to Bowery, to 3rd, took 36th to the mid town tunnel to Queens, then some combination of GCP/Van Wyck/Whitestone to City Island. TRAFFIC WAS HORRIBLE IN TOWN, and even on the bigger roads in Queens it wasn’t great. At one point I had to wait for four cycles of a light to get through it to the next block (at that point MPG showed 5.5), and I don’t think that I ever exceeded 40mph for any significant stretch. Did the same route in reverse on the return, traffic was better. The sun was down on the return, the top was down, no AC, ESS=1.

~50 miles round trip.
15.9 MPG outbound
20.6 MPG inbound.

Saturday 8/3 - OAT average in the high 80s F. Humidity high. Top up on both legs, ESS=1, MAX AC.

Left from Cooper Union to NJ via Lincoln Tunnel, eventually wound up on NJ-17, then 287, then country roads. On the return took country roads to NY-6 eventually to the Palisades to 95 to GWB to West Side Highway then cross town back to Cooper Union.

~100 miles round trip
25.0 MPG

Sunday 8/4 - OAT mid to high 80s F. A bit lower humidity earlier in the day but then increasing throughout the day. Top up. ESS=1. MAX AC.

Cooper Union to 23rd street to FDR, Willis Ave bridge, Bruckner, Hutch. Same route in reverse except made a stop on west 54th, parked for an hour, then back to Cooper Union.

<30 miles round trip.
19.7 MPG

SUMMARY/TLDR

The worst city mileage I got was 15.9 MPG. Now that included some city “highways,” but I don’t think I ever exceeded 40 MPH. Leaving the city and driving NJ highways I got up to 25 MPG. A good mix of driving got me 19.7 MPG.

Now my vehicle is a bit lighter than yours being a 2 door, but if you have an automatic transmission I bet it shifts more fuel efficiently than I do with my manual transmission.

So based on my experience and how that compares to published numbers (17 city, 25 highway, 20 combined), I think that either your telemetry or fuel consumption is way off.

I hope something in there is comparable to your commute so it will be informative for you.
Sponsored

Last edited: