Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
thanks for everyone, well i know how i drive this is my second jeep, i miss my JK which gives very good milages i have no issued about gas milages, since i bought new JL make me cry now , i thought that may be way i drive but the dealer also did road test and diagnosis but same problem.
they want me to put stock tires ,so i did still the same i don't know i am still under service appointment with dealer, and they says they will send special technician, i hope will fix my issue.....
You didn't specify which engine you have, but I'm going to guess it's the 2.0L turbo. Most all turbocharged engines these days have a sweet spot for good gas mileage. That spot is right before the turbo kicks in. Before you're good, when the turbo kicks in it goes down hill from there. If you do have the turbo engine pay attention to where that sweet spot is when you start from a stop. After you learn that spot stay out of the turbo, and your mpg's should improve.

Disclaimer: This only applies if you do have the turbo engine.

If you have the 3.6L starting from a stop too hard will also lower your mpg's. A 3.6L with the 3:45 gearing will run the rpm's up quite fast. Take off a little easier, and your mpg's will improve. My Sahara 3.6L w/3:45 gearing, and 1700 miles is already getting approx. 18 mpg around town, and on a 265 mile run last week (no mountains, in good weather) returned 24.5 mpg's. Speeds were between 55, and 70 mph most of the way. I'm averaging a little over 20 mpg overall.

It's all in your right foot my friend. Go easy, and you'll be happier.
Sponsored

Last edited:
First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I have the the I4 turbo and have 1100 miles on it. I am getting 25 in the city and much better on the freeway. On a 60 mile stretch back from my cabin this weekend I was getting 32 and 35 mpg doing 65 mph. This thing continues to amaze me. I do keep the mpg up on the dash all the time to milk every drop out. I have also noticed some difference based on the gas you put in. Of the 5 tank fulls I have put in it seems to like Chevron premium the best.

Parispete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 2 Door Rirecracker Red
Occupation
Highway inspector
Someone or I may have read that the 2019 v6 when new gets bad gas a couple weeks then changes to the 21 to 24 mpg and 18 or 19 in town. It was a Rubicon most likely because I only look for Rubicon info

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
does anyone know about the gas mileage in JL sport, i had really bad gas mileage only 13 miles per gallon no modification all stock rims, bumper. i took dealer service center but they say depend the way i drive, no offroad just city and highway. i took like many time to service center never solve my problem in gas.
Got to say, even with a light trailer on I've never experienced that bad mileage. However, my new Rubicon isn't any gas sipper, I only get overall about 18 mpg. That's with highway and in town. I've never gotten more than 19.5 mpg on the highway with it. Don't know if that makes you feel any better or not. I've never had a jeep (12 of those rascals) that ever got respectable mileage but that's not why I own them! If you truly are only getting 13 mpg (calculate yourself, don't rely on the computer) there is definitely something wrong. Driving style typically effects mileage 1-2 mpg, not 6 or 7. Let us know!

Sponsored

TMJL2018

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Technology & part-time Google mechanic
Clubs

I'm getting 15mpg in the city and up to 20 mpg on the highway with a tail wind, but normally 17 mpg. I'm running BFG K02 35's, 2.5" lift, and Smittybuilt front bumper with a winch. Now I do live in North Texas and the highest point we have is the high 5 over pass in Dallas.

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLU Sport, DoM 7/18 (Wed)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
On my '18 JLU Sport, w/a 6 Spd M/T, V6 engine, and stock 245/17's All Terrain tires, I'm getting a little over 26 mpg doing 70 mph in 6th, on a flat and level highway.

As soon as I start hitting any mild hills, I have to down shift into 5th, and even down to 4th, as the hills get steeper, and the mileage drops down to a low of around 18 or so.

If Jeep had gone w/a 3.73 gearing vs. the 3.45, those numbers would of balanced out a little bit better perhaps. You could stay in the upper gears longer w/o losing any power when you hit the hills.

Of course other factors can effect your mileage as well, including oversized wheels, due to their weight, the tire size, which effects the gearing, then there's their weight as well, and their thread style, which effects road friction. Then too, roof racks, causing wind drag, passengers and luggage, which add weight.

Fatman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU 2001 Corvette 1999 SLK 230 (2) 2004 S2000 2013 Tiguan 2014 Explorer PIU 2005 F150 2011 C-200 2012 Lexus Prius TO MANY CARS!
Occupation
Retired / BUM
Just returned from kind of long road trip, charlotte nc to brunswick ga to melbourne fla to wildwood fla to neptune beach fla, to jax fla to savannah then back to charlotte (in 4 days), averaged 20.2 mpg a/c on the whole time, little to no traffic at all averaged 83 mph the entire trip, that includes the city driving so I guess I was flying the whole trip, I believe it was in the 1200 mile range. If I remember right we filled up a total of 3 times including the departure tank and arrived home with at least a half tank.

Al13

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
2019 Moab 14 in city and 21 on highway trips. Those figures are by mileage and fill ups. The dash computer actually shows 15 at times but average is still 14. At 76 years old I am past dogging it. It does seem to stay In 3rd and 4th gear too long at times. Not complaining as if I were into great gas mileage I would have purchased a 4x wheel drive Prius.

jdegrave

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Forte, Pathfinder, JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Director Financial Systems Support & Governance
I have a 2019 Rubicon 3.6L auto (1,600 miles as of today) and I get 13-15mpg around town. I just took it from Miami to Key West and averaged around 23 mpg. Given I’m as aerodynamic as a cinder block I thought that was pretty good! :like::jk:

Sponsored

JLA_Mo

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon (Granite)
2018 JLU Rubicon with 6spd manual, all stock with steel bumpers. I get about 17 City and 21 Highway. For me, if I am cruising around 45mph, I am getting almost 26mpg with my manual transmission. At 65mph I drop to 21mpg and over 70mph just murders it down to the teens. Like everyone said, it is how you drive. I will drive around Los Angeles and have a 21mpg, next day my wife will drive it and it will be 15mpg. She likes to accelerate off the line and will stop quickly. When you see a red light ahead, take your foot off the gas and let her coast.

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
does anyone know about the gas mileage in JL sport, i had really bad gas mileage only 13 miles per gallon no modification all stock rims, bumper. i took dealer service center but they say depend the way i drive, no offroad just city and highway. i took like many time to service center never solve my problem in gas.
Hello sherpa1,
Few things, I am only replying to this poll/thread because the title got my attention.
1. I found the first issue with the thread/poll. You should have titled it ... gas mileage in 4Runner.. then the rest of that stuff. I understand better now, you were talking about a 4Runner! makes total sense and complies with the laws of science, nature, and physics now.
2. IF you have any JL (any) and it gets 13 miles per gallon with any “just city and highway” driving you should A. Park it somewhere on asphalt, B. Get out of that JL because its obvious the Devil is in your drivetrain, C. Light a match and toss it on all of the gas that is leaking from that poltergeist @ss JL. - something beyond my abilities is wrong with your Jeep. You could try a priest? If you are not interested in that or as impatient as i am you could just stop at C. File a claim and get a different less evil spirt infested JL .
I like simple solutions, if your post contains any truth something is unfixably wrong with your Jeep, burn it to the ground.

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green
my 2018 JL Sport S with the 3.6L and 8 speed auto i was getting about 25mpg on highway and about 23 in city. that was with the stock wheels and tires i upgraded to 285x70r17s and i am now getting about 22mpg on highway and about 20 in city. so it has to be the way you drive or do you live at the top of a huge hill that you drive 8 times a day.
Sponsored