Sponsored

Horn going off by itself

HomesteadRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Clubs

The night before Thanksgiving, I was driving through a neighborhood and my horn went off by itself and stayed on for 15 secs or so...felt like forever. After that it would beep randomly. Didn’t drive the Jeep on Thanksgiving day, but the next day my horn beeped after I left the house. I pulled over and pulled the fuse so I wouldn’t have to deal with than. Well, a couple days later leaving the Home Depot, I turned the steering wheel and heard something tumbling around behind the horn button. I sounded like a coin bouncing around. Then that went away, probably because what ever it was got stuck behind something. Then yesterday, I heard this thing tumbling around as I turned the steering wheel and the piece pictured fell out. It’s plastic and the same color as the brushed chrome on the steering wheel. Could this have been what set the horn off or is it 2 different issues?

08FB6FC6-2B15-4781-B207-69DFF263E01E.jpeg
Sponsored

VooDoo1

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S, 2007 FJ Cruiser
Has the horn gone off randomly since the piece fell out? My best guess is that piece broke of internally in the horn button and shorted across the horn contact or wedged itself in the horn contact. Any recent memories of someone cutting you off, causing you to slam on the horn button? Maybe a hard hit on the horn button caused it to break off internally.

OP
OP
HomesteadRubi

HomesteadRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Clubs

The fuse is still out so don’t know if it still goes off. I’ll put it in tomorrow and check it out.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
The night before Thanksgiving, I was driving through a neighborhood and my horn went off by itself and stayed on for 15 secs or so...felt like forever. After that it would beep randomly. Didn’t drive the Jeep on Thanksgiving day, but the next day my horn beeped after I left the house. I pulled over and pulled the fuse so I wouldn’t have to deal with than. Well, a couple days later leaving the Home Depot, I turned the steering wheel and heard something tumbling around behind the horn button. I sounded like a coin bouncing around. Then that went away, probably because what ever it was got stuck behind something. Then yesterday, I heard this thing tumbling around as I turned the steering wheel and the piece pictured fell out. It’s plastic and the same color as the brushed chrome on the steering wheel. Could this have been what set the horn off or is it 2 different issues?

08FB6FC6-2B15-4781-B207-69DFF263E01E.jpeg
Looks to me like someone's getting a new steering wheel for Christmas, courtesy of the warranty santa.
Sponsored