Sponsored

Hope nobody's order is delayed (train carrying new Jeeps derails)

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
It has to go somewhere.
Every derailment I've seen, at least the railcars are scrapped and shredded on site. It's a lot easier to transport when they're in little pieces.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Hmm, I guess they treat untitled vehicles differently then. I’ve sold hundreds of totaled vehicles over the years for parts.

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I truly hope that top priority is given to rebuild the VINs affected by this that were pre-ordered, and that FCA extends to these customers some consideration--price reduction/free gear, etc.
Why would they do such a thing? Accidents happen, they can’t shut down current builds or ones in que cause of an accident. Sucks but that’s life man. To do what you’re requesting would cost FCA tons of money and time, not to mention piss off a ton of other customers who are in line.

Sponsored

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Why would they do such a thing? Accidents happen, they can’t shut down current builds or ones in que cause of an accident. Sucks but that’s life man. To do what you’re requesting would cost FCA tons of money and time, not to mention piss off a ton of other customers who are in line.
I've read several accounts where someone's jeep failed QC at the factory and was moved to the front of the queue. I wouldn't be surprised if Jeep pushes the sold units to the front of the queue and the stock inventory moved down. And as fast as they are pumping them out these days, they will be caught up in no time. Besides, Jeep is already getting a hefty check from UP for the units in the derailment, so they aren't out any money.

Memphis Peej

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pilot, Acura TSX, 2019 Moab!!!
Sh*t.... my crew just replaced some 90,000 railroad ties there 2 months ago. We worked from Dry Lake, Nevada all the way to Elgin. It's a LONG drive to get to Elgin from the highway. Funny how I find out about derailments through second hand sites instead of through work.

This is the second derailment in 5 months on this same line. First one was a coal train and some 30+ cars derailed. All were shredded on site and separated into aluminum, iron, and coal piles. I snagged some large chunks of coal for the heck of it.

And in case anyone is wondering, all the vehicles in the derailment will be shredded. No chance of those parts showing up on craigslist.

A side note, almost every day we were there we'd get buzzed by F-15s, F-16s, A-10s, and even some F-22s. It was neat to watch them dog fight overhead too.

First picture is on road 4230 between Carp and Elgin where the derailment occurred. Second picture is an F22 dropping flares. Third picture is of some wild horses at 4am under moon light.

20190319_104136.jpg

20190322_111026(0).jpg

20190422_052401.jpg
That's some awesome photos as well as cool stories!

Rhinolunch

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon -
Looks like I'll be working tomorrow to build some new ones.
I just received an update on Sunday that my window sticker has posted. Dealer is telling me it will ship this week and be in Vegas next week - i'm 2 months waiting.. i hope it doesnt get delayed!

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I've read several accounts where someone's jeep failed QC at the factory and was moved to the front of the queue. I wouldn't be surprised if Jeep pushes the sold units to the front of the queue and the stock inventory moved down. And as fast as they are pumping them out these days, they will be caught up in no time. Besides, Jeep is already getting a hefty check from UP for the units in the derailment, so they aren't out any money.
One Jeep here and there compared to 30+ units is a far different scenario. The money lost isn’t necessarily the cost of the Jeeps, they’re covered. But it’s not as simple as one would think to just throw 30+ Jeeps into the building process.

Dzwart06

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I do not know what the true build times are for jeeps. I know I build 40 and 60 foot busses for large metropolitan areas for Volvo. We can pump out 4 a day in our small factory. 30 jeeps is probably shifting the on hold time a couple of days, for us it would shift it about a week. I'm assuming they pump out 10 to 20 a day with out stressing things. Hardest part is trying to add inventory delivery for parts. After that is lined up it wouldnt be a huge set back. IMO

Sponsored

eugene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
Well, My Firecracker Red Launch Edition Jeep Gladiator Rubicon is supposed to be in Mira Loma, CA on Friday. It should be passing through Nevada today. What are the chances that it's the one playing opossum in this picture?

jeepgladiator.jpg
the one in the pic was launched from the train car, looks likes a launch edition to me!

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Bunch of Jeeps destroyed in a derailment in Nevada.

https://fox13now.com/2019/07/10/dozens-of-brand-new-cars-destroyed-in-spectacular-nevada-train-derailment

Dozens of brand-new cars destroyed in ‘spectacular’ Nevada train derailment

POSTED 4:45 PM, JULY 10, 2019

LINCOLN COUNTY, Nevada — Dozens of brand-new cars and pickup trucks were destroyed after 33 train cars derailed near Caliente, Nevada, on Wednesday.

Lincoln County Sheriff Kerry Lee confirmed the crash just after 9:00 a.m. and said it happened about 30 miles from the Utah-Nevada border.

Lee said the crash was the most spectacular mess he has seen, with mostly new Jeep Rubicons and pickup trucks destroyed in the derailment.

Can we please have a moment of silence to honor the Jeeps that were lost in this tragedy...
County road 4230 from Elgin, Nevada, to Carp, Nevada, is completely closed until Thursday, according to the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office, and it will remain partially closed for the next 7-10 days because construction equipment, train cars and debris are blocking the road.

Lee said the train had cars hauling hazardous material but none of those cars were impacted by the crash. A hazmat tanker was two cars away from the derailed section of the train, according to Lee.

Lincoln County borders Utah and Arizona and ends just north of Mesquite, Nevada, on the south side.

Caliente, Nevada, is just over 100 miles from St. George, Utah.

Union Pacific is investigating the cause of the derailment and will turn the results of that investigation to the Federal Railroad Administration.

Jeep Gladiator Train Wreck Derailment1.jpg
Jeep Gladiator Train Wreck Derailment2.jpg
Jeep Gladiator Train Wreck Derailment4.jpg
Jeep Gladiator Train Wreck Derailment3.jpg
Jeep Gladiator Train Wreck Derailment5.jpg
Can we please have a moment of silence to honor the Jeeps lost in this tragedy...

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
My JLU has been stuck in Upton Utah since the derailment.

Anybody else?
Not sure where Upton is, but mine is at the Salt Lake City terminal - presumably waiting to get past that derailment site...

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
My JLU has been stuck in Upton Utah since the derailment.

Anybody else?
Should have let me know sooner, we just left Moab a week ago :)
Sponsored