Sponsored

Hooking up JL Aux Switches for 6.5” round halogen lights?

DaddyEngineer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Hello Scott, purchased the fuse block off eBay and the rest is standard electrical supply items....very easy mod...! Fabricated my own bracket out of 1/4 “ plastic....
Perfect, I appreciate it.

Scott
Sponsored

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
Hello Scott, purchased the fuse block off eBay and the rest is standard electrical supply items....very easy mod...! Fabricated my own bracket out of 1/4 “ plastic....
Not to plug anyone in particular but PartsExpress.com is a great source for electrical items such as these.

Harleexl

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS 4xe Sting Gray
Occupation
Automotive
Look at it this way, the fuse exists to protect the wiring to avoid a thermal event. Typically the fuse size is chosen based on the devices fed by that circuit and the wire size is chosen to be large enough so the fuse burns out before any wiring damage occurs from heat in a short or excessively high current draw situation.
You should never increase fuse size above what is provided by the manufacturer because you would put the wiring harness at risk of causing a very hot situation as the fuse could outlive the wire.
However, you would typically be safe to change to a lower fuse rating if you wish, but remember that somebody in the future may put the original fuse size back in that slot. If you need to go to a lower size wire for your device connection, yes an inline fuse would be recommended so you may reduce wire size downstream of the new lower rated fuse safely in any situation.

noreserve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1999 TJ Sport
Look in the electrical board in the tech section of this website. One of the stickies has good pictures and identification of every wire for the aux switches. It was more than enough detail for me to easily hook up my winch to a relay on Aux 4 and my CB to an ACC line.
OldBird, just curious, doesn't your winch say to connect directly to the battery? From my Warn Zeon installation guide: "The winch power wire must be routed to the battery. A direct battery connection of the power (red) and ground (black) cable is required. Do not connect ground to vehicle chassis." Also, that 40W Aux switch wouldn't have nearly enough capacity for it to work under load, as mine can draw 465W max, according to Warn. Am I missing something here?

OldBird

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
OldBird, just curious, doesn't your winch say to connect directly to the battery? From my Warn Zeon installation guide: "The winch power wire must be routed to the battery. A direct battery connection of the power (red) and ground (black) cable is required. Do not connect ground to vehicle chassis." Also, that 40W Aux switch wouldn't have nearly enough capacity for it to work under load, as mine can draw 465W max, according to Warn. Am I missing something here?
I connected the inline Warn Power Interrupt - it's a solenoid that the aux switch only powers that switch, not the whole winch. The power interrupt is connected directly to the battery, but isolates the winch and it's primary wiring so there's no power to it unless Aux 4 is on.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CQFVN8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: baz

noreserve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1999 TJ Sport
I connected the inline Warn Power Interrupt - it's a solenoid that the aux switch only powers that switch, not the whole winch. The power interrupt is connected directly to the battery, but isolates the winch and it's primary wiring so there's no power to it unless Aux 4 is on.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CQFVN8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Ah, I see - makes sense; serves as a safety kill switch as well as ensuring that no one can activate the switch on the winch from the outside.
Sponsored