Sponsored

Hooking up JL Aux Switches for 6.5” round halogen lights?

Rubiron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited / Audi RS5
Occupation
Retired
Hello fellow jeepers, I have a 2019 JLU with the factory AUX switches. I searched for this info but couldn’t find it. Here’s my question....I have a set of 6.5” round halogen lights that total 110 watts and want to install them in one of the 40 amp switches. Is there a problem in doing so? Want to save the 15 amp ones for led lights that draw less current.....
Sponsored

Reactions: baz

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Hello fellow jeepers, I have a 2019 JLU with the factory AUX switches. I searched for this info but couldn’t find it. Here’s my question....I have a set of 6.5” round halogen lights that total 110 watts and want to install them in one of the 40 amp switches. Is there a problem in doing so? Want to save the 15 amp ones for led lights that draw less current.....
110 watts = 9.16 amps @ 12 volts (Ohm's law).

OP
OP
Rubiron

Rubiron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
110 watts = 9.16 amps @ 12 volts (Ohm's law).
Hello Robaw, maybe I didn’t phrase my question right....I had figured out the amp draw but is there anything I need to do to use one of the 40 amp switches for these lower watt/amp lights. Would changing out the fuse to a lower amp fuse be all that is needed or will there be an issue with the relay as well...? Thanks for responding...

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
No problems, the lights will only draw what they draw, it's not like you are force feeding them higher current. The real question is if there is a short will a 40 Amp switch trip before the lights are destroyed, I'm not sure how the aux switches are fused or even if they are fused. I would put an inline fuse for safety.

Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Hello Robaw, maybe I didn’t phrase my question right....I had figured out the amp draw but is there anything I need to do to use one of the 40 amp switches for these lower watt/amp lights. Would changing out the fuse to a lower amp fuse be all that is needed or will there be an issue with the relay as well...? Thanks for responding...
Ah, gotcha! I'd do what @JimLee said, use an inline fuse. FYI the Aux buttons each have their own fuse (F93, F92, F103 and F108) and relay (K18, K17, K20 and K21). You could put a smaller one in there if you want.

Twistedfab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
You could always put a smaller fuse on the 40 that way the device is protected. Bigger fuse is bad idea. Could burn up wire.

OP
OP
Rubiron

Rubiron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
You could always put a smaller fuse on the 40 that way the device is protected. Bigger fuse is bad idea. Could burn up wire.
Thank you Twistedfab, that’s what I was thinking too. Already purchased the fuses from dealership. For those of you who may be in the same situation, the smallest fuse the dealer carries in this size/type is a 20 amper. I’ve never seen a fuse like these before. Check your fuse box and If you have the AUX switches from the factory the 40 ampers are in space
F93 and F92, and the corresponding relays are in space K17 and K18.....thanks to all who chimes in in this.....

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

in my opinion. id run an inline relay instead of running the load source through the switch its self wire the aux switch to an external relay and then run the led lighting off the relay rated for 15 amps. easier and cheaper to replace/add a relay than it is to buy those aux switches that is 250 for the set from mopar.

OP
OP
Rubiron

Rubiron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thank you fellow jeepers, kinda new to this and it’s nice to know there’s always help a few clicks away.....!

Sponsored

Cutterwolf

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL, 1963 Ford Fairlane, 2012 Honda Civic EXL
Good morning

I getting confused with regard to installing 6 lights to the AUX switches
I found some 4 light information but none for 6 lights.

The lights are the KC Apollo Pro (MAX 130w each )
Wiring diagram pic enclosed.

On one hand I thought I should use one of the supplied relay per set (2) of lights (so three relays in total) and just connect all the yellow (20amp) fused leads together to the battery and all the grounds together to the ground and all the white load ( 3amp fused) to the AUX Switch...

Now I'm wondering if that's correct.

Or do I just cut off all that stuff and connect all the red light leads connect to 40amp AUX switch and all the black leads to the ground.

I figure each light must be around 9amps each..
So that seems wrong with a 40amp fuse

I'm right in the middle of this at the moment..so any help at all would be great...

Thanks

15618973041967912368644419025057.jpg

OP
OP
Rubiron

Rubiron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Wow that’s cool....one question though...I see that you are running items on the factory 40 amp leads but have dropped the fuses in your add on fuse block to a lower amped fuse. That is my delima, I will never need the factory 40 amped fuse switches but would like to run lower amped items in those spots how did you get around that ?

Kansascoast

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JKU, 2drJL
Wow that’s cool....one question though...I see that you are running items on the factory 40 amp leads but have dropped the fuses in your add on fuse block to a lower amped fuse. That is my delima, I will never need the factory 40 amped fuse switches but would like to run lower amped items in those spots how did you get around that ?
It doesn’t matter whether the lead is 40 amp or not. What you need to be careful of is that you fuse the lead from the lead to the item you are running so you don’t have amperage available that is above what that item, or the wire to that item, is able to carry. Jeep has provided heavy enough wiring to carry a 40amp load on two of the switches and 15 amp load on the other two switches to the point that you connect. From that point on if you don’t “fuse down” to the capacity of your item and it’s wiring, you run the risk of burning something up if there is an electrical failure.
Sponsored