First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I did a write up on the vents I installed, but my goal was only the ambient temp; letting heat escape at slow speeds, stopped or parked. I never expected any change to coolant, oil, or trans temp. Glad to see the vents appear to do some good in regard to ambient temps, especially since most of my drive time is spent in slow Atlanta traffic.

Plus, overall mod costs were less than $100.

Jeep Wrangler JL Hood Vents - my own personal test: engine bay temperature stats 1659618706778
Sponsored

Last edited:

navyflyer

First Name
“Chopper” Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubi
Occupation
Airline pilot
Interesting data. It does make sense though while the engine is running hard and the fan is operating. What is an extra opening on the hood really going to do in that situation?

I was considering opening up the vents but not for towing. My heat issue is immediately after the engine is turned off. I have a solar panel voltage controller under the hood and it often goes into overtemp protection mode sitting in the engine compartment with the hot (but off) engine and no fan. Rightfully so, the voltage controller gets too hot to touch under the hood. If I open the hood immediately after shutting off the engine it's nowhere near as hot.
I opened up mine not to cool while running, but after I’m stopped and engine not running and the engine has to dissipate heat by itself…. I didn’t want it sitting with a blanket over it essentially with no escape for th hot air. With my vents open, heat is pouring out the top of the hood, and that means cooler air is replacing it from the bottom.

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I opened up mine not to cool while running, but after I’m stopped and engine not running and the engine has to dissipate heat by itself…. I didn’t want it sitting with a blanket over it essentially with no escape for th hot air. With my vents open, heat is pouring out the top of the hood, and that means cooler air is replacing it from the bottom.
This. Heat rises. I had no inclination cutting open the stock vents would do diddly for operating temps. I was interested in engine off and dissipating heat once shut off both on the trail and in the garage. There is no adverse effect on the highway by doing this but I have felt the heat "pouring" out the vents when parked. This was especially pronounced in windy conditions on the trail. It has been more pronounced as I have aftermarket inner fenders and aftermarket front bumper and skid. Air enters below very well and hot air escapes from the vents nicely. Living in the desert, I'll take every 1% of heat help I can get.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
This. Heat rises. I had no inclination cutting open the stock vents would do diddly for operating temps. I was interested in engine off and dissipating heat once shut off both on the trail and in the garage. There is no adverse effect on the highway by doing this but I have felt the heat "pouring" out the vents when parked. This was especially pronounced in windy conditions on the trail. It has been more pronounced as I have aftermarket inner fenders and aftermarket front bumper and skid. Air enters below very well and hot air escapes from the vents nicely. Living in the desert, I'll take every 1% of heat help I can get.
Same here, except the desert part.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Excellent data! Thank you for sharing.. đź‘Ť
The only thing that I do, living in hot as hell Phoenix, is raise my hood in the garage when I get home. But only in the Summer months.
I have heard of others doing this too, but just curious why it is necessary if the engine is off and you are no longer driving?

Sponsored

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
I was considering adding aftermarket hood vents or perhaps modifying my existing hood vents on my 2019 2.0 E-torque JLUR to see if it would help cool things off during towing. After reading lots of posts and looking at YouTube videos no one could state if they actually work to lower under hood or fluid temperatures. Most people said, "Well I can see heat trails coming off the vents so they must work". I really want to see the science/data behind any modification I consider and couldn't find any, so I decided to do my own test.

Using my trusty Multimeter and a good K-type probe clipped to the center of the engine cover I did a couple of test runs. One run with the factory stock hood vents and insulation in place and the second identical run with the hood vents and insulation completely removed. In this test I'm towing my 2-passenger side x side ATV on its utility trailer with a total weight of 2,250 lbs. The run is a 10-mile uphill grade with about 700' of elevation gain. The runs were done back to back to ensure ambient temperature conditions were similar. All temperatures (in F) were recorded under the same conditions/locations (60 mph). I should also mention that my Rubicon is completely stock except for Gladiator grille inserts. Fluid levels (coolant/oil) were checked before the test.

Although the results showed slightly lower under hood temperatures without the vents, this was not always consistent. Also notable was how little effect the hood vents have on coolant, oil, and transmission temperatures. Frankly, I don't see the benefit for towing/normal driving at least. A test like this might reveal more if it were done in a rock crawling environment but I am more concerned with maximizing cooling during towing.

Jeep Wrangler JL Hood Vents - my own personal test: engine bay temperature stats 1659618706778

Thanks for sharing your results.

I suspect the only real way to lower under hood temps through the hood without replacing it with some sort of aftermarket piece would be to 3D print something that fits with a scoop facing forward. As you already know, simply venting doesn’t result in a significant change.
It'd be interesting to see some tests done with these:

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/hood-accessories/as-1015-s-b-filters-air-hood-scoops-only-kit

Might be a cool video idea.... Hmmmm..... 🤔.

Isn't it possible that the temperature of the air flow that the probe was exposed to is almost constant from the radiator?

Maybe the results of the open hood vents is an overall cooler engine and not simply a reduced air temperature under the hood.

Proper probe placement would also be my thought.

Typically engine bays collect heat in the corners at the back of the hood. The fan is pushing air through the radiator, it then hits the engine, some flows around the sides, some drops straight down (which is one reason for splash guards under the radiator, to channel airflow back and help keep it from dropping straight down).

It would be interesting to have a few probes and test air temp in different areas under the hood during the same drive. And to test during some long drives (hour+) to see if there is any heat soak going on.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Excellent analysis and thanks for sharing...love seeing actual numbers!

Just curious though...I've seen a lot of discussion about switching to JT grill screens, but from this experience, do you have any sense that these help dissipate heat appreciably more than the stock screens? Just wondering if it is worth the additional time/effort/$$$.

OP
OP

PunksJL

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Can you take temp comparison of Jeep sitting idle when there is no vehicle movement but after the long haul you did?

I would think open vents help letting heat escape at standstill. Should be with measurable lower temps or time to achieve a lower engine bay temp.

Lots of time to sit and wait with AC blowing when I rock crawl with a large group. I like what you tested but you answered the moving question. How about the not using highway speeds air cooling?
My idle test temperatures were taken after each pull and after waiting 5 minutes to achieve a normal idle temperature. One would think that without the vents the engine bay would cooler but that was not my observation.

OP
OP

PunksJL

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Excellent analysis and thanks for sharing...love seeing actual numbers!

Just curious though...I've seen a lot of discussion about switching to JT grill screens, but from this experience, do you have any sense that these help dissipate heat appreciably more than the stock screens? Just wondering if it is worth the additional time/effort/$$$.
I decided to go with the Gladiator grill inserts due to the posts I researched and the higher tow rating on the Gladiator. Personally I haven’t noticed much difference in my temperatures but I had not towed anything prior to swapping the grille inserts. It’s such an inexpensive modification thought and it definitely can’t hurt anything. Just by looking at the grille inserts you can surmise they are less restrictive than the stock Rubicon grille inserts.

OP
OP

PunksJL

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for sharing your results.

It'd be interesting to see some tests done with these:

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/hood-accessories/as-1015-s-b-filters-air-hood-scoops-only-kit

Might be a cool video idea.... Hmmmm..... 🤔.

Proper probe placement would also be my thought.

Typically engine bays collect heat in the corners at the back of the hood. The fan is pushing air through the radiator, it then hits the engine, some flows around the sides, some drops straight down (which is one reason for splash guards under the radiator, to channel airflow back and help keep it from dropping straight down).

It would be interesting to have a few probes and test air temp in different areas under the hood during the same drive. And to test during some long drives (hour+) to see if there is any heat soak going on.
I agree multiple probes would be a good test. I chose the location of my probe as I anticipated that the open vents might allow heat from the radiator to more quickly escape via increased airflow thus lowering the temperature across the probe. I seriously doubt this occurs. My assumption is when moving the air pressure is higher above the hood which probably traps/caps off the under hood hot air from escaping. I’m thinking of the cowl induction principle where a rear facing cowl near the windshield sits in a low pressure zone where outside air could easily enter. That’s why Chevy used cowl induction and Pontiac had their famous shaker hood scoop on the Trans Am. That air was for a cooler intake charge though and not intended to cool off the engine bay. I think the Rubicon vent slots are too far forward to do any good.

Sponsored

OP
OP

PunksJL

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
PunksJL, if possible you should take temps after parking the jeep with and without open 'vents'. Maybe at 15 minute intervals over say 90 minutes. Sitting with no air flow and engine heat with nowhere to go. I believe, (and I may be completely wrong) that open 'vents' will cool things off much more quickly. IMHO
My entire intent with this test was to maximize engine cooling while towing so I didn’t do any measurement post engine shut down. I understand that heat rises and I’m pretty sure having open hood vents will help cool an engine compartment when the engine is not running. It appears they don’t help much at idle speeds when stationary. Both of my idle temperature tests were done after I had pulled the 10 mile grade and after letting the engine idle for 5 minutes. Although without the vents was only a slight improvement it was not a significant improvement. It would be interesting to see this in a rock crawling/slow four-wheel test.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
My idle test temperatures were taken after each pull and after waiting 5 minutes to achieve a normal idle temperature. One would think that without the vents the engine bay would cooler but that was not my observation.
My reading of your chart is that the ambient engine bay temp with the vents opened up was 11, 17, and 5 degrees cooler than with the vents on, with the exception of the 3rd run being 1 degree warmer. So overall it seems it was cooler with the vents opened, correct?

Just trying to make sure I'm reading the chart correctly.

Canucklesammich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I did this for 3 reasons: A) if you already have a dremel/cutting wheel and are careful enough to not break the plastic rivets, it's essentially free; B) it just might help cool the engine bay at low speeds (such as stop & go traffic, which is a lot more commonplace for many urban based drivers than rock crawling) & it's unlikely to hurt; and C) I HATE the idea of something that looks functional but is really just for show. My theory about how these are designed is that the engineers figured they'd do the hard part- cutting the holes in the hood- which allows the OPTION of leaving them closed if you live in a rainy, snowy or overly dusty enviornment, or you can easily open them up in an enviornment like SoCal (one of the biggest auto markets in the US). My only regret is I was kinda sloppy cutting the holes in the noise/thermal liner, but I can clean that up sometime, it's not visible from the outside.

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I have heard of others doing this too, but just curious why it is necessary if the engine is off and you are no longer driving?
I do this knowing I'll be wrenching as things cool quicker. For instance, knowing I'm changing the oil when I get home, I open the hood to vent hot air and cool things off quicker. I change the oil with it on the warmer side.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
My only regret is I was kinda sloppy cutting the holes in the noise/thermal liner, but I can clean that up sometime, it's not visible from the outside.
Take a look at my write up: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...waterproof-rubicon-hood-vents-write-up.82001/

I tried to "dress" my cuts with 3 different kinds of tape (duct, foil, and gold thermal tape) and have found that the engine bay gets so hot, all three tapes started to curl and none of them would stay stuck. Especially true on the drivers side. Let me know what you come up with.
Sponsored

Last edited: