Sponsored

Hood Vents - JLU/JL Rubicon functional or only decorative?

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
To each their own, as long as it's not causing them any performance issues. However my uneducated opinion from over 10 years ago when I was into modifying sports cars. Huge debate back then whether "cool looking" fully vented hoods (completely open cut outs) decreased engine bay temperature or not. In short summary, it was determined that opening vents had marginal decrease in engine bay temperatures at idle/stop. However negative effects due to airflow disruption when cars were moving.
I'm with you on this. I think that if there was any real benefit to opening them up, Jeep would have done so from the factory. Specially in regards to the Gladiator. They opened up the front grill for extra cooling but didn't touch the hood vents. Why is that?
Sponsored

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
I haven’t had time to read the entire thread so I apologize because I’m sure this has been thrown out there...The Jeep could be practically submerged and have about a minute of air trapped inside the engine bay. In addition, just a big wave that came over the hood won’t get in. So for those reasons having them closed off is good. Besides that, what about heavy rain and washes. Anyway, sorry, I just had morning coffee and needed to chat.

UtahRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
It would be interesting to see what happens in a wind tunnel, I agree.
I also think there is something to perhaps keeping them closed with the idea of creating a high pressure area under the hood, for water crossings.

That said, I've built quite a few factory level rally and rallycross cars for both Ford and Subaru in my career. We've played around for years with adding hood venting. Every time it's tested, if it's just a flat cut-out, it does nothing. If you add a louver in front, it creates the soft air pocket behind that allows for air to escape. Looking at the hood of the JL, and the design of the "fake" cut-outs I decided there was more than enough (visually) louver design to warrant trying it.

I've since driven a few thousand miles down to Zion, Moab, etc. Perhaps ambient temps under hood were better, or recovered quicker, but I don't believe it ran any cooler on the digital dash read-out.
The jeep is actually incredibly predictable in what the temp readout is.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I haven’t had time to read the entire thread so I apologize because I’m sure this has been thrown out there...The Jeep could be practically submerged and have about a minute of air trapped inside the engine bay. In addition, just a big wave that came over the hood won’t get in. So for those reasons having them closed off is good. Besides that, what about heavy rain and washes. Anyway, sorry, I just had morning coffee and needed to chat.
There has been a lot of talk and testing in the hard core wheeling community and there really hasnt been a debate. Vented hoods keep things cooler.

If not a serious wheeler I wouldnt bother. Here in the HOT AZ climate it probably isnt worth it either if you dont do a lot of slow semi to hard wheeling. I did a louver setup in my well set upTJ and noticed temps not only lower on the gauge but it cooled off quicker too. An added benefit was the interior was cooler as well.

I know water dripping in doesnt bother the motor/electronics, but with the JL's setup it would bother me. The poison spider setup is inset, kind of like a tub, so any major rain would have water dripping on everything including the battery. Again, shouldnt hurt a thing, I just dont like it.

To me a better setup with even better cooling is the larger one they offer. Going that way isnt for the faint of heart but if your serious about cooling it's a better mod. I did a similar one on my TJ and it is nerve racking. lol

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
There has been a lot of talk and testing in the hard core wheeling community and there really hasnt been a debate. Vented hoods keep things cooler.

If not a serious wheeler I wouldnt bother. Here in the HOT AZ climate it probably isnt worth it either if you dont do a lot of slow semi to hard wheeling. I did a louver setup in my well set upTJ and noticed temps not only lower on the gauge but it cooled off quicker too. An added benefit was the interior was cooler as well.

I know water dripping in doesnt bother the motor/electronics, but with the JL's setup it would bother me. The poison spider setup is inset, kind of like a tub, so any major rain would have water dripping on everything including the battery. Again, shouldnt hurt a thing, I just dont like it.

To me a better setup with even better cooling is the larger one they offer. Going that way isnt for the faint of heart but if your serious about cooling it's a better mod. I did a similar one on my TJ and it is nerve racking. lol
Ok, here is the "Poor man's" version of open the venting!! I've had around 45 vehicles since 1970 and 98% have been Mopars. (Not all wonderful experiences, but most have been) I usually take the inside hood pad off every performance car including the Hellcat Charger I had. It's never affected the paint or anything else.

I have to say that the JL underhood pad is rather brittle and started discoloring from water stains so removing it was part of my plan anyway.

Not wanting to get water in places that it wasn't meant to be (really no harm, I used to wash all my engines in the car wash) I simply took out the vents, made ovals in the sides where the mesh leans down, added a couple of pieces of plexiglass with pvc elbows and clear hose to the bottom of the rectangular hole they provide for drainage. If you look at the photos you'll see the sides opened, drain hose and guess what....the drain hose fits in the rubber seal which allows the water to drain right behind the rear fenders and not in the engine compartment!!!! Bottom line, believe it or not, coolant is running 5-6 degrees cooler than before, performance is the same and gas mileage hasn't changed. Total cost of parts: $2.49 for the elbows and $1.39 for the clear drainage tubes.

v11.jpg

v12.jpg

Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Ok, here is the "Poor man's" version of open the venting!! I've had around 45 vehicles since 1970 and 98% have been Mopars. (Not all wonderful experiences, but most have been) I usually take the inside hood pad off every performance car including the Hellcat Charger I had. It's never affected the paint or anything else.

I have to say that the JL underhood pad is rather brittle and started discoloring from water stains so removing it was part of my plan anyway.

Not wanting to get water in places that it wasn't meant to be (really no harm, I used to wash all my engines in the car wash) I simply took out the vents, made ovals in the sides where the mesh leans down, added a couple of pieces of plexiglass with pvc elbows and clear hose to the bottom of the rectangular hole they provide for drainage. If you look at the photos you'll see the sides opened, drain hose and guess what....the drain hose fits in the rubber seal which allows the water to drain right behind the rear fenders and not in the engine compartment!!!! Bottom line, believe it or not, coolant is running 5-6 degrees cooler than before, performance is the same and gas mileage hasn't changed. Total cost of parts: $2.49 for the elbows and $1.39 for the clear drainage tubes.

v11.jpg

v12.jpg
NICE! Can you cut out a slot in the front and back too?

I also have to wonder if part of the cooling your experiencing is from removing the blanket?? What is the reason for a blanket anyway?

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
NICE! Can you cut out a slot in the front and back too?

I also have to wonder if part of the cooling your experiencing is from removing the blanket?? What is the reason for a blanket anyway?
I just looked and yes, you could cut a slit in the front and the back being careful not to penetrate the top layer.
You'll hear 50 reasons why they include a hood pad but to me they are absolutely useless. I've never had a problem by getting rid of them. To me, they hold the heat in but are supposed to provide noise suppression and some kind of efficient air flow envelope. Hogwash!
By the way, the next move I'm making is changing out the grill inserts with the JT Gladiator grill inserts as the mesh is much less restrictive. At this time I'm also installing a front camera and probably some LED lights in the grill itself.

Charlie

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I just looked and yes, you could cut a slit in the front and the back being careful not to penetrate the top layer.
You'll hear 50 reasons why they include a hood pad but to me they are absolutely useless. I've never had a problem by getting rid of them. To me, they hold the heat in but are supposed to provide noise suppression and some kind of efficient air flow envelope. Hogwash!
By the way, the next move I'm making is changing out the grill inserts with the JT Gladiator grill inserts as the mesh is much less restrictive. At this time I'm also installing a front camera and probably some LED lights in the grill itself.

Charlie
I just did mine in a similar fashion.. I didnt add a drain to it yet. I want to digest the setup a little more. I'm contemplating removing the whole or part of the bottom and fashioning a tray of sorts to get the water off to the side. I did this on my TJ and it came out amazing.

The hood is pretty much all double walled so drilling into it would be easy.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I just did mine in a similar fashion.. I didnt add a drain to it yet. I want to digest the setup a little more. I'm contemplating removing the whole or part of the bottom and fashioning a tray of sorts to get the water off to the side. I did this on my TJ and it came out amazing.

The hood is pretty much all double walled so drilling into it would be easy.
Go for it man! After checking with my brother (mopar engineer for 35 years..various depts.) I have confirmed that the pad is there for noise suppression it has nothing to do with insulation. It also serves as a drain pan for the vents. It gets very brittle and starts deteriorating after about 2 years.
the drain hoses work really good and it drains right behind the front fenders.
charlie

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Go for it man! After checking with my brother (mopar engineer for 35 years..various depts.) I have confirmed that the pad is there for noise suppression it has nothing to do with insulation. It also serves as a drain pan for the vents. It gets very brittle and starts deteriorating after about 2 years.
the drain hoses work really good and it drains right behind the front fenders.
charlie
It'll be a bit.
I dont hear much of a difference in noise. I even took off the engine cover too (with the 3.6 label on it). I think it looks better, keeps rodents from finding a home and likely aids in cooling.

Sponsored

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It'll be a bit.
I dont hear much of a difference in noise. I even took off the engine cover too (with the 3.6 label on it). I think it looks better, keeps rodents from finding a home and likely aids in cooling.
Good idea! I’ll remove mine too.

navyflyer

First Name
“Chopper” Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubi
Occupation
Airline pilot
I opened up the vents to let the heat out. Not particularly while driving but while slow moving or stopped.

I cut the vent in a way that the water will still drain as if there was no cutout, like from the factory. I drilled 3 1.75" holes in each vent directly under the solid portion of the top part of the vent. This will prevent rain from going directly down the drilled holes. I then 3-d printed small vent rings that sit higher in the vent to prevent drain water from going into the engine compartment.

The 6 1.75" holes equal about 12 square inches of vent area.

Jeep Wrangler JL Hood Vents -  JLU/JL Rubicon functional or only decorative? KITT
Jeep Wrangler JL Hood Vents -  JLU/JL Rubicon functional or only decorative? KITT
Just completed this project on my JL. Really easy and it works, can feel heat pouring from the vents once parked. Thanks FUHL.

D305570E-32C8-4B96-8F91-8C89EC4B6421.jpeg

89768FC1-25CD-4172-B90A-2EF01D8BB328.jpeg
Sponsored