Sponsored

Hood Vents - JLU/JL Rubicon functional or only decorative?

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
If they were actually functional, then all rain/splash/carwash water would drain right down on the mid-engine and that would be a problem--so

I don't think they have open vents-

Whatever

JIMBe
I don’t think this is true. My SRT grand Cherokee has functional hood vents right through the hood into the engine bay and there are no issues with water, car wash, etc. Some steaming sometimes but that’s about it. Don’t see any reason why they couldnt be functional.
Sponsored

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Yeah TONS of performance cars have functional hood scoops. My Camaro has em. They have drain pans that route water off the top of the engine.

It’s no big deal. You can power wash an engine. A couple vents aren’t gonna kill your engine.

I’d be pretty disappointed if the rubicon vents were 100% decorative.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Just like in the JK(U) they are functional, but things like the drainage and sound dampening material impact efficacy & efficiency.
Both can be moded to work better, especially for slow moving airflow of rock crawling, which doesn’t benefit as much from the stock design as they do when they are moded. Stock design primarily targets cooling and pressure reduction at speed.

BTW, even fully open it’s not a problem for rain/water. Running with the hood off, would not be much of an issue for the engine, except maybe the air intake way off to the side.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Hey folks, was at an auto show today and got a look at the new JL. There appears to be some sound insulation right on the underside of the hood, so I couldn't see how the vents could be functional. Also couldn't see how they could drain.

OP
OP
FatBoy01

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Hey folks, was at an auto show today and got a look at the new JL. There appears to be some sound insulation right on the underside of the hood, so I couldn't see how the vents could be functional. Also couldn't see how they could drain.
YES, both are functional on the Rubicon, this is a fact.

The side vents have little to no air flow restriction as you saw.

The hood vent is open. Opens to a little catch tray that is fashioned in such a way that the water will channel / flow thru to the backside of the hood. Yes, the water has to flow through the hood vent and then it seeps through that hood insulation, into the channel passage way and to the backside of the hood.

Pic of underside of hood:
hood.JPG

Last edited:

Sponsored

dangerz

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
I ran the Poison Spyder hood louvers on both my JKU and LJ. I've never had an issue with water in the engine bay. I'll do the same on my JLU when they release it.

Last edited:

CashMonkey

First Name
Rolo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grey 2009 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 5SPDMT Black 2012 Nissan Altima 2.5SL Sedan 6SPDAT
Vehicle Showcase
Cool thing is Mopar has an unpainted Rubicon hood package available for purchase sometime this year. To give people who didn't order the Rubicon a more aggressive look.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
As an FYI, when washing my Rubi this weekend, I noticed that the soapy water that entered the louvers exited around the "B" at the Rubicon sticker on the driver's side and the "C" on the passenger side.

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR

The hood vent is open. Opens to a little catch tray that is fashioned in such a way that the water will channel / flow thru to the backside of the hood. Yes, the water has to flow through the hood vent and then it seeps through that hood insulation, into the channel passage way and to the backside of the hood.

hood.JPG

Interesting, I thought they were fake. Good to know!

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-

hood.JPG

Where is your hood insulation?

Sponsored

azfun

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pending Wrangler JLUR
Are the hood vents on the JLU/JL Rubicon functional or only decorative? Would you guys with the Rubi take a look see and report back. A forum goer posted a video today saying the hood and side vents were in fact functional but I'm not 100% sure they are

Would be nice if it was because it would help knock out some of the hood jumping up and down at speeds over 60 mph..

I have had my JLUR up to 90 several times and there is no hood flutter. That is proof enough for me.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Where is your hood insulation?
Actually, the "SLIENCER HOOD, Mopar part# 68292168AC" was removed so the drain system, etc. could be photographed.

By the way, FCA misspells the word Silencer on the parts label that is on the part when the JL leaves the factory.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Actually, the "SLIENCER HOOD, Mopar part# 68292168AC" was removed so the drain system, etc. could be photographed.

By the way, FCA misspells the word Silencer on the parts label that is on the part when the JL leaves the factory.
Hopefully they didn’t misspell the “Rubbercorn” on the other side of that hood.:giggle:
Sponsored