retired
Just finished having the hood lock installed at the dealer. Great job. 😁😎
Sponsored

linux_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 6-speed manual, 2011 Compass 5-speed manual
With a proper rivet gun (1/2 inch IIRC) it takes about 15 minutes tops and can work with OEM key (for the lock I installed). Among the simplest projects possible. What were your costs for this?

I rotated the key several times to set the lock to work with the key.

The gas cap lock had more steps, but it made for an easy Saturday morning project. A little more at stake if built incorrectly and unable to remove key. Bet a Dremel and cutting wheel could have freed up key if assembled wrong.

OP
OP
wolf

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
With a proper rivet gun (1/2 inch IIRC) it takes about 15 minutes tops and can work with OEM key (for the lock I installed). Among the simplest projects possible. What were your costs for this?

The gas cap lock had more steps, but it made for an easy Saturday morning project. A little more at stake if built incorrectly and unable to remove key. Bet a Dremel and cutting wheel could have freed up key if assembled wrong.

Not me. Back injury can’t do to much bending and stretching. Love the lock.

OP
OP
wolf

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
Is under hood theft of items an issue?
Not really, but you know what they say! An ounce of prevention etc. don’t want to ask mr colt for help but oh well. 😎🤨

Sponsored

Cherii

First Name
Cheryna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I was moving my girlfriends’ car a month back and happened to notice the latches on the hood on my JL were open. Mind you it was 930pm and it had been parked there for 3 days. Plus I always make sure to closed up the latches. Once I opened the hood I saw that the battery terminals were loose enough to wiggle. Some asshat was trying to steal the battery. I ordered the hood lock that night and it’s been parked inside my buddy’s backyard til I get the package shipment in.

linux_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not me. Back injury can’t do to much bending and stretching. Love the lock.
I empathize with the back injury. For most, it's not hard. Certainly easier to back out of /revert to stock than the Mopar gas cap lock (that was a puzzle but not impossible). My back has issues but nothing bad about hood lock labor.

linux_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just want a deterrent or obstacle for casual thieves. An Easter Egg for the ethically challenged new owner. Like the Trunk Monkey.

Last edited:
OP
OP
wolf

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
I empathize with the back injury. For most, it's not hard. Certainly easier to back out of /revert to stock than the Mopar gas cap lock (that was a puzzle but not impossible). My back has issues but nothing bad about hood lock labor.
I think it’s nerve and soft tissue damage usually getting up and down or maybe getting old. Going to order the genesis dual battery system next after I make up my mind on what batteries. Definitely going to let my dealer install that system. Unless I use Percocet, works wonders.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The Bolt Hood Lock lets you remove the key in the unlocked position, a plus. Keeping casual, opportunistic thieves from making off with expensive batteries is well worth the cost of the hood lock. It only has to happen once

Sponsored

Morrepe

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2 dr Sarge Green Willys, Soft Top 3.6L MT
I just got my MOPAR hood lock and gas cap in the mail. Now all I have to do is wait for my 2023 Willys to be scheduled/built/delivered so I have something to bolt them to. LOL. What type of rivet gun is required for the lock install?

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
It’s a good idea, to save your battery, or batteries.

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
I spent some free time installing the Bolt hood lock. A while back I had time to disassemble the grill inserts. I ran with an orange colored, flat mesh for a couple of years. I wanted the lock and better looking grill, so I took the time to paint it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Hood lock PXL_20220904_231319062

Excuse the rust on my bumper. I'm planning on doing some painting soon.
Sponsored