Sponsored

Hood hump stone dent. Anyone had a paintless repair?

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I picked up a dent on the flatish front edge of the hood “hump” today. Has anyone had a paintless repair done on the JL hood?

Feeling with my hand under the hood liner it seems that the hood is two layers which may be a problem for paintless dent removal.

8F28634B-17B4-4345-AB91-D687DAA23631.jpeg

View attachment 98132
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
No such thing as a painLess repair :)

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I picked up a dent on the flatish front edge of the hood “hump” today. Has anyone had a paintless repair done on the JL hood?

Feeling with my hand under the hood liner it seems that the hood is two layers which may be a problem for paintless dent removal.

8F28634B-17B4-4345-AB91-D687DAA23631.jpeg

View attachment 98132
I have had all kinds of dents and dings removed. Some that looked hopeless. One or two on the "A" piller that is reinforced and has a airbag. They hot glued plastic tabs to it and popped the dents out. Yours should be no problem if the tech is good. Do not let someone drill behind it. A experienced tech will use hot glue tabs if there is reinforcement behind it. You will never know it was dented after they get done.

OP
OP
Wanderingwheelz

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I have had all kinds of dents and dings removed. Some that looked hopeless. One or two on the "A" piller that is reinforced and has a airbag. They hot glued plastic tabs to it and popped the dents out. Yours should be no problem if the tech is good. Do not let someone drill behind it. A experienced tech will use hot glue tabs if there is reinforcement behind it. You will never know it was dented after they get done.
Thanks. I’ve only watched it done once, on a new car I bought several years ago that had a very small door ding from lot damage. It was done from underneath the panel which was how I figured all of the repairs were done. Good to know it can be done from the top, too.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Thanks. I’ve only watched it done once, on a new car I bought several years ago that had a very small door ding from lot damage. It was done from underneath the panel which was how I figured all of the repairs were done. Good to know it can be done from the top, too.
Paintless Dent Removal or PDR techs are not created equal. At the wholesale level PDR guys charge by the panel. Their main focus is fixing dents quickly so the car can be sold on the used car lot. Many of the wholesale PDR guys will do whatever is quickest to gain access to the dent. They will pry panels, expand door skins through the window opening, drill holes and plug the hole with a plastic cap. Whatever to gain access quickly. Better PDR techs at the retail level take their time. They might cost a little more but they will do a much better job. They remove lights, door panels, wheel well splash panels, trim, anything that allows access that can be reinstalled so no drilling is needed. Hot glue tabs that are used to pop out dents can take a little longer. They actually pop the dent up higher then the surface then reshape the high spot by tapping with plastic tools. See who does high end cars in your area.
Sponsored

Last edited: