Sponsored

Hood Decals - Love em or Hate em (Yes, you too Rubicon owners) :)

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
While the side one's have been demonstrated to be functional, there is a great amount of debate about the hood vents. Personally I believe the hood vents are there not to cool the engine but to equalize air pressure above and below to reduce the tendency for the hood to flutter. To me that's functional enough. And that's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!
A sales guy at a dealership told me the same....the hood vents were to help with the whole hood flutter. Who knows .... lol ‍♀
Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
While the side one's have been demonstrated to be functional, there is a great amount of debate about the hood vents. Personally I believe the hood vents are there not to cool the engine but to equalize air pressure above and below to reduce the tendency for the hood to flutter. To me that's functional enough. And that's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!
A sales guy at a dealership told me the same....the hood vents were to help with the whole hood flutter. Who knows .... lol ‍♀
Makes sense. I remember the first time I drove in high winds (40-50mph winds while driving 70+mph). I thought the hood was going to fly off!!:CWL:

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Really? I came up with that on my very own lonesome. Does that mean I'm qualified to sell Jeeps now? :like:

Sponsored

ericdrob67

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR EcoDiesel, '19 GMC Terrain, '16 Suburban
Vehicle Showcase
I didnt care for the Rubicon decals on the side of the hood, so i had dealership remove them before driving it off the lot. But, I am considering a flat or satin black vinyl/decal for the center of the hood to prevent sun glare/reflection.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I am considering a flat or satin black vinyl/decal for the center of the hood to prevent sun glare/reflection.
Like I mentioned a few posts back, it definitely helps :like:

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
If you believe the Jeep engineer who designed the JL (on YouTube), the side vents are there to prevent the hood flutter. Of course, he also said the Rubicon vents are functional so there is that.

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
I am kinda mixed on the hood decals whether its "Wrangler", "Rubicon" and what not.

I think on some colors it looks good, while some do not.

What do you all think?

(This isn't to bash anyone who currently has them on their rig), Just wanted an overall assumption. Perhaps a poll would have been better, but I like reasonings too! :)
I liked the simplicity of the decals on the very first generation of Rubicon, but they are getting increasingly splashy and to my eye, the current red and black decals are a bit much, especially on my HellaYella. It might be too much work to bother with, but I am actually contemplating trimming the red border off my decals to take it down a notch. You can get a decent sense of how it would look by looking at a picture of a firecracker red Rubicon. Like I said, I am just mulling it over, but I am tempted...

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I've had 1st/2nd/3rd GEN. RUBICONS and I've always been proud of their beginning as a "SPECIAL JEEP" and my modifications to each one--

I personally, don't see any reason to REMOVE any of the JEEP decals--

Now that doesn't include additional DECALS installed by the dealer--I do enjoy the ADVERTISEMENT DECALS of certain vendors, because I'm happy/proud to use-- I will apply them to GLASS/PLASTIC !

W.E.

JIMBO

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
I dig the hood logo. I have a plan for other decal work, that I will not get into...my question is, will there be paint fade over time, and eventual decal cracking, which will lead to a darker shade where the decals were?