Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Okay, so this idea of mine is probably a little outlandish, but I'll be getting my soft top JLUD sometime 2nd quarter 2021.

I've always had hood racks on every vehicle I've ever had, even that crappy '01 Camry I had years ago.
I don't want anything to interfere with my soft top going up and down all day and night when I do get it.
I see the front window lays down on the hood and after being strapped in sits maybe 3-4 inches over the top of the hood. It doesn't seem to obstruct the drivers view too much from there.
Other than having to rig up my own mounts, I think it would be really cool to have a small basket about the height over the hood the front window sits (3"-4").

Other than my wife and I, we have 5 dogs. Which means any long hauls we go on won't have a lot of room for luggage, supplies, stuff. I plan on doing a over the spare tire rack, and maybe one on the hitch, and running with saddle bags on the doors depending on what we're doing. I have a lot of bigger small nick nacks like camping chairs, the coleman grill, things which would fit under that 3"-4" basket height, but really need to be secured, things I wouldn't want the dogs chewing on for an 18hr drive to Colorado.

I know Texas law says I can strap anything I want to my hood so long as it's not fuel and it doesn't obstruct my view.
Mostly just wanted to share my idea and see what y'all's thoughts on it are?
Sponsored

JDaPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
I bought one of these 15 years ago because my 2 door had no room with the dogs in the back.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo-Carrier/Rola/59109.html
Expensive but has lasted with a lot of abuse. Fits a ton of stuff and has only got water intrusion with a monsoon type of storm. Locks and is easy to open and close even packed. Even with a 4 door first question my wife asks is if we are taking the box so she pack more crap...

I think the rack on the hood is an interesting idea but would be cumbersome, potentially affect the cooling of the engine, affect gas mileage/noise and are you going to take that stuff off every time you stay in motel,etc to avoid theft or just hope for the best?

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I would be very concerned about that carrier or it’s cargo coming through the windshield in A crash and slicing off somebody’s head.

but, it’s your Jeep — so, it’s your way, not mine. If you decide to make one, I would be interested to see the images!

OP
OP
Tredsdert

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
I would be very concerned about that carrier or it’s cargo coming through the windshield in A crash and slicing off somebody’s head.

but, it’s your Jeep — so, it’s your way, not mine. If you decide to make one, I would be interested to see the images!
I was thinking the same thing, a front end crash would be bad. On the flip side, I've been driving for 20 years and never been in a serious crash. I feel it might be worth the risk, at least to try it out. I'll def post pics. ;)

I think the rack on the hood is an interesting idea but would be cumbersome, potentially affect the cooling of the engine, affect gas mileage/noise and are you going to take that stuff off every time you stay in motel,etc to avoid theft or just hope for the best?
That hitch is pretty nice. I was thinking about getting something like that on top of everything else. :D
Yeah, the drag coming off the hood would definitely be noticable.
I didn't think about the having to unpack the hood rack everytime we stop at a motel. Definitely worth the extra thought. :)

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
What about the factory tow package and a suitably sized trailer? Keeps the jeep lean and mean and cleared for only living creatures, and all the gear can be consolidated in a smaller enclosed and lockable trailer that can easily be cable and locked to a tree if needed.

Sponsored

bgrex

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara Altitude - Sting Gray
OP
OP
Tredsdert

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
What about the factory tow package and a suitably sized trailer? Keeps the jeep lean and mean and cleared for only living creatures, and all the gear can be consolidated in a smaller enclosed and lockable trailer that can easily be cable and locked to a tree if needed.
Yeah, I was thinking about this as a very viable option as well. :)

OP
OP
Tredsdert

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Okay, so this idea of mine is probably a little outlandish, but I'll be getting my soft top JLUD sometime 2nd quarter 2021.

I've always had hood racks on every vehicle I've ever had, even that crappy '01 Camry I had years ago.
I don't want anything to interfere with my soft top going up and down all day and night when I do get it.
I see the front window lays down on the hood and after being strapped in sits maybe 3-4 inches over the top of the hood. It doesn't seem to obstruct the drivers view too much from there.
Other than having to rig up my own mounts, I think it would be really cool to have a small basket about the height over the hood the front window sits (3"-4").

Other than my wife and I, we have 5 dogs. Which means any long hauls we go on won't have a lot of room for luggage, supplies, stuff. I plan on doing a over the spare tire rack, and maybe one on the hitch, and running with saddle bags on the doors depending on what we're doing. I have a lot of bigger small nick nacks like camping chairs, the coleman grill, things which would fit under that 3"-4" basket height, but really need to be secured, things I wouldn't want the dogs chewing on for an 18hr drive to Colorado.

I know Texas law says I can strap anything I want to my hood so long as it's not fuel and it doesn't obstruct my view.
Mostly just wanted to share my idea and see what y'all's thoughts on it are?
Hey Greg:

Let me "test the waters here."

...you're love of the sky above....is the power top out of the question for you? It has real rain gutters, unlike the soft top, where you can attach power top compatible (higher) cross members, and then some rack on to them...

How's about roof rack that slides out of the way when the top goes up or down...?

https://lodoffroad.com/products/jee...estroyer-4-door-sliding-roof-rack-option.html

(not cheap, and you have to buy the base LOD rack first)...

Was thinking of putting dual linear actuators on this thing, think I may still have the plans....

if this is too pricey the front hitch, I think, is your best play.

OP
OP
Tredsdert

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Hey Greg:

Let me "test the waters here."

...you're love of the sky above....is the power top out of the question for you? It has real rain gutters, unlike the soft top, where you can attach power top compatible (higher) cross members, and then some rack on to them...

How's about roof rack that slides out of the way when the top goes up or down...?

https://lodoffroad.com/products/jee...estroyer-4-door-sliding-roof-rack-option.html

(not cheap, and you have to buy the base LOD rack first)...

Was thinking of putting dual linear actuators on this thing, think I may still have the plans....

if this is too pricey the front hitch, I think, is your best play.
That's pretty dang cool!! Very interesting. Only thing would be annoying is if I wanted to take the top down and let the sun and sky in, I would need to remove the rack to really get that open air feel. But still, that thing is really cool. I'm gonna bookmark that page, thanks!

At this point I think I'll be looking for a nice, not to big, trailer. Being able to lock it and leave it tied up somewhere is a pretty nice thing. However I will definitely be buying one of those front tow hitches when the time comes. :)

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
That's pretty dang cool!! Very interesting. Only thing would be annoying is if I wanted to take the top down and let the sun and sky in, I would need to remove the rack to really get that open air feel. But still, that thing is really cool. I'm gonna bookmark that page, thanks!

At this point I think I'll be looking for a nice, not to big, trailer. Being able to lock it and leave it tied up somewhere is a pretty nice thing. However I will definitely be buying one of those front tow hitches when the time comes. :)
Greg: you wouldn't need to remove the base rack or its sliding portion to get that open air feel...

More to point, removing the cross members inside the sliding portion of the rack and panels if equipped, or if just purchasing the base model of the rack without the sliding portion, and just removing any of the cross members and panels if equipped and you have this below. (The sliding rack addition rides higher but is just as open, vacant of any of its cross members/panels like the base rack is below.)

https://lodoffroad.com/products/jee...-jl-2018-destroyer-4-door-base-roof-rack.html

Jeep Wrangler JL Hood Cargo Basket 1607809669133

..all the open air a Wrangler owner could want. : - )

....some add cross members and a panel in the rear 3rd so the soft top can be open to at least sunrider position. : - )

I don't think the rack is compatible with the electric hybrid (yet) given the power port's presence on the driver's cowl wh..ere the rack in part attaches.

BTW: if you go with a front hitch check out existing videos on this on Youtube: you've got to cut a square section out of the front plastic piece near the ground to fit the hitch tube in a way that makes it accessible. Still more, if you go this route I recommend an anti rattle hitch pin.
Sponsored