Honest question: Wrangler Rubicon or Ford Bronco

JeffI

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
My vote is Jeep or even TRD pro 4 runner with 5000 lb towing capacity (if you like them which I do)
Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
So my wife and I will be buying a new off-road vehicle in 9 months. We are looking at the Wrangler Rubicon and the new Bronco. It will have to pull a 3,000 lb trailer (side x side) so we are looking at the diesel engine in the Wrangler or the 2.7 EcoBoost in the Bronco.

But here are my concerns are mainly with the engines. First, with the diesel Wrangler, there is a lot of talk and speculation going around about all the emission components in the exhaust, how they will hold up long-term and how expensive it will be to fix/replace them. And also how the "soot" will effect the life of the engine. Also, there have been posts in this forum of the diesel engine running hot and even over-heating while towing. :(

Second, the EcoBoost with its turbos, direct injection and variable cams is a very technology advanced engine. They are still too new to know if they will hold up as well as the good-old V8s. In fact, in my mind, the problems that Ford has had with their first generation EcoBoost engines suggest that we may see more issues with the current crop of engines, particularly timing chain stretch which was addressed but not solved with their second generations. Ford will have to step up with front and rear lockers and a front sway-bar disconnect. If they don't, that may be a deal-breaker for us. It must be very close to the Wrangler Rubicon in its off-road capability.

Soo... I am about 50 years old and I don't want to "tinker" as much as I used to. I want the most reliable vehicle as we travel around the Western United States to many of the off-road trails that we have dreamed of exploring for a long time. So which gamble to we take? The Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel or the Ford Bronco with the 2.7 EcoBoost? Which one will be more reliable?
Wait a week and we will know a lot more about the Bronco, the available models, engines, and powertrains.

It has been confirmed that the SVT version, called Warthog, will get the 400Hp 3.0L out of the Lincoln Aviator. It will likely come later.

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
I’d want a longer wheelbase than either for lots of towing

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
If reliability is your primary concern, wait until you have 100,000 or so of both on the road beyond their warranty periods and base your decision on real data. If your purchase timeframe doesn’t allow for real data, at least the JL platform has 2+ years and over half a million vehicles on the road to verify the mechanicals are solid. The bronco won’t have anything near that for at least a few years. Both engines will need a few more years to truly understand any major weak points.

Sponsored

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't see, a JLR or JLUR?

2 or 4 door? I assume 4.

I wouldn't discount the JLUR with the 2.0T either. We love ours, and the Superchips team just did a multiple pass dyno run, getting 310 lb-ft...

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
I would say get the Diesel Rubicon!

People were afraid of the 2.0 turbo because it was "new" and "to much tech".. They were wrong.. The 2.0 is amazing.

I ordered a 2021 sarge green diesel rubicon. And i am not afraid whatsoever! YOLO :dance:
Sponsored