Honest question: Wrangler Rubicon or Ford Bronco

sledboy

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Suburban, Ford Escape and Honda Civic
So my wife and I will be buying a new off-road vehicle in 9 months. We are looking at the Wrangler Rubicon and the new Bronco. It will have to pull a 3,000 lb trailer (side x side) so we are looking at the diesel engine in the Wrangler or the 2.7 EcoBoost in the Bronco.

But here are my concerns are mainly with the engines. First, with the diesel Wrangler, there is a lot of talk and speculation going around about all the emission components in the exhaust, how they will hold up long-term and how expensive it will be to fix/replace them. And also how the "soot" will effect the life of the engine. Also, there have been posts in this forum of the diesel engine running hot and even over-heating while towing. :(

Second, the EcoBoost with its turbos, direct injection and variable cams is a very technology advanced engine. They are still too new to know if they will hold up as well as the good-old V8s. In fact, in my mind, the problems that Ford has had with their first generation EcoBoost engines suggest that we may see more issues with the current crop of engines, particularly timing chain stretch which was addressed but not solved with their second generations. Ford will have to step up with front and rear lockers and a front sway-bar disconnect. If they don't, that may be a deal-breaker for us. It must be very close to the Wrangler Rubicon in its off-road capability.

Soo... I am about 50 years old and I don't want to "tinker" as much as I used to. I want the most reliable vehicle as we travel around the Western United States to many of the off-road trails that we have dreamed of exploring for a long time. So which gamble to we take? The Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel or the Ford Bronco with the 2.7 EcoBoost? Which one will be more reliable?
Sponsored

Last edited:

EcoDRubi1

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl eco diesel. 2020 gladiator
I would get the diesel and buy the extended warranty to cover your worries on exhaust components. The factory has responded well with the ram eco diesel issues and taken care of the past issues. I doubt they would ever leave loyal jeep owners hi and dry if they had problems. The diesel will spoil you on fuel economy and has all the power you need to tow. Torque is insane compared to my gas burning gladiator. Just ordered me a diesel gladiator. Trading the gas burner. Love my JL diesel...

OP
OP

sledboy

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would get the diesel and buy the extended warranty to cover your worries on exhaust components.
Hmm... I have read on this forum that the extended warranty does not cover the exhaust and their associated sensors. Which adds to my concern. :facepalm:

Last edited:

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
If you have to ask, get a Bronco...

Soo... I am about 50 years old and I don't want to "tinker" as much as I used to. I want the most reliable vehicle as we travel around the Western United States to many of the off-road trails that we have dreamed of exploring for a long time. So which gamble to we take? The Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel or the Ford Bronco with the 2.7 EcoBoost? Which one will be more reliable?
If you want reliability and comfort get one the ones below...
https://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/crossovers-suvs/armada.html
https://www.toyota.com/landcruiser/

Avoid diesel if possible.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant

If you want reliability and comfort get a Land Cruiser.
One of the best in the world....but now about $90K.

Sponsored

Sosos68

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon EcoDiesel. 2014 Porsche 991, 2014 vw Touareg tdi, 2005 Mercedes 320 CDI, 1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4.
Occupation
Sales
So my wife and I will be buying a new off-road vehicle in 9 months. We are looking at the Wrangler Rubicon and the new Bronco. It will have to pull a 3,000 lb trailer (side x side) so we are looking at the diesel engine in the Wrangler or the 2.7 EcoBoost in the Bronco.

But here are my concerns are mainly with the engines. First, with the diesel Wrangler, there is a lot of talk and speculation going around about all the emission components in the exhaust, how they will hold up long-term and how expensive it will be to fix/replace them. And also how the "soot" will effect the life of the engine. Also, there have been posts in this forum of the diesel engine running hot and even over-heating while towing. :(

Second, the EcoBoost with its turbos, direct injection and variable cams is a very technology advanced engine. They are still too new to know if they will hold up as well as the good-old V8s. In fact, in my mind, the problems that Ford has had with their first generation EcoBoost engines suggest that we may see more issues with the current crop of engines, particularly timing chain stretch which was addressed but not solved with their second generations. Ford will have to step up with front and rear lockers and a front sway-bar disconnect. If they don't, that may be a deal-breaker for us. It must be very close to the Wrangler Rubicon in its off-road capability.

Sosos68

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon EcoDiesel. 2014 Porsche 991, 2014 vw Touareg tdi, 2005 Mercedes 320 CDI, 1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4.
Occupation
Sales
FondOntheRoadDead......no way ....

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The land cruiser looks like a station wagon :P

I think you should try both out , give em a drive, see what ya like better. Kinda hard to buy a car you haven't sat in, right?

Shaved Ice

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
If engine reliability is you main concern, skip the turbos all together. Go with a 3.6 JLU. It is a very reliable and proven engine with a 3500 pound towing capacity. Your 3000 pound trailer will be fine and you will have peace of mind.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
No one can answer this question yet.

But i generally tell people if you can even imagine getting something other than a Wrangler you probably should. With the Bronco we don’t know yet, but usually practical considerations will favor anything over the Wrangler.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation

You're looking for long term reliability, but you're shopping the two least reliable engines in the segment. :)

You should strongly consider the Pentastar V6. It's simple, inexpensive, and there are millions of combined miles on them across several vehicle platforms over the last 8 years. 285 HP is plenty for towing 3,000 lbs. and you'll end up saving money in the long run due to not needing expensive repairs and because you'll be able to do $25 oil changes at home in 5 minutes.

I've had both the P-star and the EcoDiesel and I'm just being honest.

OP
OP

sledboy

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you all for your feedback. It is very helpful. The vehicle we end up getting will replace a 2005 Chevy Suburban with a 5.3 engine and 3.42 gears. I would like to get something that tows better because the suburban really doesn't do well. It struggles up hills pulling just our 4-seater RZR. Maybe with the lower gears of the Rubicon, the 3.6 Pentastar would tow better??? :fingerscrossed:

We test drove a Wrangler Diesel about a month ago and LOVED the torque! But as I really think about it, reliability is more important than towing capacity so I really appreciate your feedback. Full disclosure, I am in a wheelchair. I have 4 boys who are all now adults and we have always done our own wrenching. Most of our future trips will be with someone else but not always. And the last thing I want is to be stranded out on the trail with an engine that won't run. :crying: :headbang:

I think you should try both out , give em a drive, see what ya like better. Kinda hard to buy a car you haven't sat in, right?
I totally agree! My wife and I are renting a Wrangler Rubicon with the 3.6 engine next month. We will be driving 1,000 miles to Oregon for a week long camping trip. We will visit Crater Lake, the Florence sand dunes and drive up the coast. We will also be sleeping in the Jeep on a "Deep Sleep" air mattress. This should give us a real good feel for the vehicle. Anyone know of any good scenic dirt roads or trails in Oregon? :)

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
EXACTLY, there are already enough Jeep owners that should be driving a Prius . . . or a Ford . . . :CWL:

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
I'd get a brand new diesel pickup and then hit the trails with the side by side.

The 3.0L Jeep's are still too new, and the Bronco isn't even here yet. I guess flip a coin on that choice. Buying a first year model definitely is a gamble, but it's kinda neat to be the first one on your block, or in your county with that shiny new rig.

Good luck on your decision! We were very interested in the Bronco, but their delay in showing us what it would be/look like cost them a potential buyer. We'll probably get one later, say 2025 if the production run makes it that long (assuming the product is good).

In my mind Jeep is still the only game in town, but when the Bronco is actually available, that will change.
Sponsored