Sponsored

Honest Question: What's the big deal with half doors?

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
There is something cool about going naked with a jeep, but frankly if you go do any shopping or have young kids naked can be a real hassle. I love just jumping into the jeep and feeling of doorless, but in the PNW there are too many branches and overgrowth for doorless to be reasonable offroading. In the drier climates like UT and SoCal doorless for offroading is a huge benefit. In the PNW if I'm doorless I'm just driving around the city or to work.

My 3 kids are 5 and under and they like naked, but I have to remove shoes and socks, etc because if they take anything off the likelihood of those items falling out and being gone for ever is very high. Also they can't have any toys for this reason too. Half doors keep the floor area from being exposed and really make the jeep feel more opened up than just windows down. A lot less hassle to do half doors than doorless with young kids.

With shopping, I've had cases where I had to go to a couple places for errands and not having the doors leaves those purchases wide open in sight when doing doorless. With half doors it helps hide things and if you carry the windows even more so. It isn't any more secure, but it causes less anxiety in me to hurry up and get back to my jeep when I'm having to go to places that aren't quick in and outs.

danzy55

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 Wranger TJ Sport
Vehicle Showcase
As the title states, I'm just trying to understand what they hype is with half doors. I've watched plenty of videos of them being installed, having the tops removed, the plugs that go in the holes, etc. I get what they are. I get what they do.

And, while I can certainly understand that they look pretty cool from outside, I can't help but ask... when you're in the Jeep, is the experience without the top half of the door really $4k-5k worth of better? It just seems like a minor improvement compared to just rolling your window down on a regular door, but still too much lower door to be a happy middle ground between the standard doors and a tube door.

Honestly, what am I missing? Are they really that awesome/worth the price?
Who cares, people love the look, no different than why to people throw 3-4" lifts, massive tires, stupid ugly bird grills on....the beauty of a Jeep do it up how you want it.

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
You can buy what appears to be a full door for less than $500. Why would half doors be more expensive? Probably because people are willing to pay. The half door do not have roll up windows, so they should be cheaper. https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com...t/14866845/68281910AO.html?partner=googlebase
That’s just the outer shell of the door, doesn’t even have the interior trim pieces it looks like.

edit: it may have the interior trim pieces but it’s not very clear.

OP
OP
cafecito820

cafecito820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Who cares, people love the look, no different than why to people throw 3-4" lifts, massive tires, stupid ugly bird grills on....the beauty of a Jeep do it up how you want it.
Not really the point I was getting at here man. I was asking the people that DO like them to help me understand. I wasn't criticizing or bashing in any way.

Sponsored

Beach Bum 89

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fiat Spider
Every Jeep I’ve owned have been 2 door 1/2 doors, soft top & manual. My JL is no exception. Not as pricy since it’s a 2 door. Would have bought it regardless, but was psyched when I saw they were an option. Everyone has their own opinion of them, which is good. If everyone liked the same things, it would be a boring world. I think they are worth the $$. My full doors are in the guest bedroom with no plans for them to ever go back on the Jeep.

SteveFinn

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting-Gray Sport S, former TJ owner
I loved my '98 TJ with just the door uppers removed & the rear window rolled up ...that was the perfect amount of open air for me for a good part of the year. (Of course the rear window got totally scratched from being rolled-up)

But that being said...when I saw that full doors became an option I wanted those bc I was sick of dealing with the plastic windows at drive-thru windows & toll booths and the door uppers would flex outward on the highway in high winds.

On the JLU, I couldn't bring myself to pay $4k but I'd love to have them

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Jeeps look best with half doors or no doors. You also get a more open feeling with half doors.

4~5k is a waste of money though. I just roll with no doors when I get the itch. If I was gonna get smaller doors I'd get tube doors.

If I was gonna spend 4~5k on the Jeep there are so many things I could do that would give me a way better return. I could get a rear locker and re-gear my sport for example. And still have some left for bigger tires.

Mtrctylarry

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Hey Lucas. I really think it comes down to preference. I’ve had tube doors doors also and enjoy riding that way as well, wife not so much lol. The open feel of no doors and tube doors is great with exception of everything in vehicle needs to be tied down or it is gone with little speed. The half doors contains items inside much better and definitely feels more open than just rolling windows down, both in arm rest height and back to front location for tall person. The rear is much more open. Here is quick comparison pic. For me personally I love them, but I can see people saying waste of money. I had them on my old TJ and knew when they came available for JL I would get them if I could. I have a set for my current 2018 (picked up on FB marketplace) and ordered a set with my MY22 order. Again, personal preference 👍🏻

AF8CA5FD-94A2-4828-AC54-A7D9D287E4FC.jpeg
2A390BC1-8107-4242-BFD9-DF47172C80C3.jpeg
Ver nice đź‘Ť Where did you get the fender vent and hood decals. Or did you paint on. Super Sharp Looking đź‘Ś

Sponsored

JerseyMark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys Sport, 2019 JLU Sahara
I actually think the Dual Door option is a bargain if getting a base Sport or a Willys Sport and wanting power locks/windows.

For example, it is about the same price for the following:
1. Willys Sport model with Dual Doors - basically = willys sport with power locks, windows and mirrors on full doors plus a second set of half doors
2. Willys model witthout dual doors - in this case the only additional thing over #1 is LED headlights but you lose the half doors.

To me, #1 is somewhat of a bargain since a full set of half doors is worth more than LED headlights.

If ordering Dual doors on a model that already has power locks/windows/mirrors - then it is expensive.

Usethis83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I like the half door for cruising or trail duty. The openess and visibility is great while still having some containment.. Had em on my old yj too. It is nice to have full doors also for the security when needed. Keep it jeep.
Jeep Wrangler JL Honest Question: What's the big deal with half doors? 20220424_091004
Jeep Wrangler JL Honest Question: What's the big deal with half doors? New Update with Duplicates 068

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I loved my 1/2 doors on my old YJ. Wouldn't have had it any other way.

Jeep Wrangler JL Honest Question: What's the big deal with half doors? 1655489262668

Once I moved to the Unlimted with the JK and now JL however, I either go full door or no door. To me the 1/2 doors on a 4-door look too much like the Hollywood tour vehicles

Jeep Wrangler JL Honest Question: What's the big deal with half doors? 1655489417086

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
Is it easy or hard to put on the half doors? Do you need a torque wrench or can you just use the wrenches that came with the Jeep (JL Rubicon)?

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
When it's really hot outside, does the sun warp or make the plastic windows smell weird on the half doors?
Sponsored