Sponsored

Honest Question: What's the big deal with half doors?

sciotola88

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Ecodiesel and 2020 JTR
Occupation
Underwriter
Lots of comments on here from people that have no experience with them. It made sense for me to buy a Willys sport and add them. For 4k i got the doors and power windows/locks and still come in slightly less than a Willys. Sure i missed out on a few other features that the Willys has but it made the cost of the doors make sense.
Jeep Wrangler JL Honest Question: What's the big deal with half doors? 20220513_122641
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Love the look of them without the zipper window, especially on the 2dr. I'd love to see how they'd look w/ my Mastertop cargo cover. Also is there much worry about these doors being easy to steal, haven't heard if that's really a concern, but for the price these are selling for I'm sure they'd be a potential target :(

I think those 1/2 doors & my rear cover would look just about right :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Honest Question: What's the big deal with half doors? IMG_0900.JPG

Signing Spock

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Mons, Belgium (originally, Sn Antonio, TX)
Vehicle(s)
22 JLU Sport; 22 JLU Willys Sport
Occupation
USAF
Lots of comments on here from people that have no experience with them. It made sense for me to buy a Willys sport and add them. For 4k i got the doors and power windows/locks and still come in slightly less than a Willys. Sure i missed out on a few other features that the Willys has but it made the cost of the doors make sense.
Jeep Wrangler JL Honest Question: What's the big deal with half doors? IMG_0900.JPG
Thatā€™s a beautiful Willys, man. Love the wheels with that color.

XKPin

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Sport 2-door & 2011 Toyota Tacoma
As the title states, I'm just trying to understand what they hype is with half doors. I've watched plenty of videos of them being installed, having the tops removed, the plugs that go in the holes, etc. I get what they are. I get what they do.

I've owned a YJ and a TJ. One had the full doors and the other half doors. Hard doors are nice to have, but they weren't for us. Top and doors off = nice tans and inspirational views. When foul weather prevails we slide in the soft doors, bikini top and windjammer; maybe a jacket too. It's sure easier to repack the soft doors into the back when adverse weather relents. Each to their own. 'Rumor has it' I will see the 2022 Willy's JL I paid for, . . .someday. No one will ever see those hard doors once we get the Jeep home and bag those doors for storage.

Sponsored

LOBBS

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Quality Manager in Automotive Aftermarket
T

thereā€™s no big thing w half doors other then the fact that they look different and people love something that isnā€™t ordinary.

my first and second Jeep back in 97 and 99 had half doors and I have to tell you they Sucked. The full steel doors were way better. This is why Jeeps only came w the full steel doors for many yearsā€¦ but you know how people are, we need to be different. Paying 4-5k for half doors is your dumb fault if you want them that bad
Jeeps came with some version of soft or half doors for far longer than they ever have with full doors. It was only when Jeep started to try to move upmarket that full doors became the default. And even then, Jeep has had to relent and offer them again. They did with the JK and again with the JL. It's not just about being different, if anything, they have the longer tradition.

Mike Venezia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape
I think theyā€™re more aesthetically pleasing. The lines are cleaner with half doors, and those with older Jeeps like the cleaner look (like me). No way I pay more than $1000 for that option. Soā€¦. No half doors for me! šŸ˜‚

JLJeepn

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Half Doors......
It was hard to pull the trigger, but now as in the words of Scotty P "NO RAGRETS" !! I have gone no doors which was awesome, a bit of a uneasy feeling when moving at 75mph down the highway with family. I did loose a few items somewhere down the road and kicking in dirt/mud when off-roading is much easier.

Now its half doors and bikini top for summer riding. The half doors keep much of your belongings inside and I will say from experience...people too. I have been going off trail and recently drove the Rubicon the hole way through. Leaning on and using these doors as a barrier from falling out was a must. I know full doors would have done the same but with half there is quite a bit more visibility which helped on the trail.

There is always the cool factor too and I love the look, but as we all know there is the cool look to the Jeep already! I will say these doors are solid and high quality as is the rest of the JL with a perfect color/interior match. The price point was much higher then I wanted to spend but I plan on keeping and passing on my Jeep so I see it as a enjoyable investment. Hope to see you Jeepers on the
trail. āœŒ

20220610_064608.jpg

20220610_110148 (1).jpg

20220610_110035.jpg

20220403_145916.jpg

Kimdracula

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Jeeps came with some version of soft or half doors for far longer than they ever have with full doors. It was only when Jeep started to try to move upmarket that full doors became the default. And even then, Jeep has had to relent and offer them again. They did with the JK and again with the JL. It's not just about being different, if anything, they have the longer tradition.
The way I see it is you might as well have no doors or full roll up window doors. Iā€™m no way was I saying Jeep half doors arenā€™t part of the heritage of the Jeep brand. As I said, my earlier Jeep vehicles had half doors. I have half soft doors I use occasionally on my gladiator. Iā€™m my opinion half doors are not worth 4-5k and people are only buying them because they havenā€™t been used by Jeep for years

Sponsored

gmpirate

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Rubicon, 2018 JK Rubicon Recon
Half Doors......
It was hard to pull the trigger, but now as in the words of Scotty P "NO RAGRETS" !! I have gone no doors which was awesome, a bit of a uneasy feeling when moving at 75mph down the highway with family. I did loose a few items somewhere down the road and kicking in dirt/mud when off-roading is much easier.

Now its half doors and bikini top for summer riding. The half doors keep much of your belongings inside and I will say from experience...people too. I have been going off trail and recently drove the Rubicon the hole way through. Leaning on and using these doors as a barrier from falling out was a must. I know full doors would have done the same but with half there is quite a bit more visibility which helped on the trail.

There is always the cool factor too and I love the look, but as we all know there is the cool look to the Jeep already! I will say these doors are solid and high quality as is the rest of the JL with a perfect color/interior match. The price point was much higher then I wanted to spend but I plan on keeping and passing on my Jeep so I see it as a enjoyable investment. Hope to see you Jeepers on the
trail. āœŒ

Jeep Wrangler JL Honest Question: What's the big deal with half doors? 99CBBD95-BFA0-46D4-B6D0-767D0B0B8A9F

Jeep Wrangler JL Honest Question: What's the big deal with half doors? 99CBBD95-BFA0-46D4-B6D0-767D0B0B8A9F

These pics just confirm my choice for the 392 I have on order. Looks so good -- and more practical than completely doorless or tubes.

What actually made the decision super easy is knowing I could sell them if I changed my mind. Since you can't get them otherwise they are easy to unload. Low-risk decision

Presk

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
[/QUOTE]
I'd gladly pay $5k for factory half doors but jeep won't sell them unless you get them as an option on a new jeep

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

You know whatā€™s even better? Wearing a skirt with shorts underneath. You feel super sexy but also kinda more secure. šŸ˜‚
Hmm. I guess in a way, thatā€™s kinda like half doors. šŸ¤”

They look cool as hell. Wish I had some.
For guys, super sexy feel is going commando and not so secure. :rock:

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I love the look of the half doors and it feels like driving with out the doors. BUT, I wish there was a few more inches of room behind the rear seats cuz the top won't go down if the window bag and upper door halves are in the back. Have to hang the window bag behind front seats.

You must have little ones? My first mod was to pull the backseats. Happened hours after delivery. Just 2 in our household now.
Sponsored