Sponsored

Honest Question: What's the big deal with half doors?

Shanwowsd

First Name
shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Here is a thread about the storage bags. I have the freedom panel storage bags and then got the mopar JK upper half door bag. Not sure which I prefer. Sometimes I just put the 2 front upper half doors on when it's a cool late night trip home and not all 4. I'm trying the 1 bag for all 4 this year to see how it goes.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/half-door-upper-bags.77887/#post-1659049
I bought the bag as well and it is nice in that I can put all 4 uppers in the bag and there is a cloth to keep them separate. I put the bag in the back in case it gets to cool for the wife. Then its like driving a convertible with the windows up.
Sponsored

WranglinNYC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2-Door JL
Half-door folks: I have a 2-door JL with a standard soft top (not the premium sunrider). I've found a set of half-doors that have the premium uppers (not the base uppers).

Is it going to look terrible with my standard top?

JLJeepn

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Half-door folks: I have a 2-door JL with a standard soft top (not the premium sunrider). I've found a set of half-doors that have the premium uppers (not the base uppers).

I think it would look fine, and to be perfectly honest you will not use them much....half doors are to keep that upper off and love the openness & look. If you do find that your not 100% happy with the two different fabrics I am sure you could find someone on this forum in the same predicament the opposite way and make a trade or sale. You wont be disappointed.
-Pete

BrierPatch

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU80, 15 WK2, 13 Silverado 1500. Had: 02 TJ

You might try going to a dealer and see if they have a jeep with the premium top and see what you think about the contrast to yours. I agree with the other response that for me, the uppers are only on when it rains or is cold out. So my uppers are usually only on for a little while and then right back in the bag.

Oh, and I believe the manual says you shouldn't use them below 40 deg. F. So I assume you would not run with them year round.

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
You might try going to a dealer and see if they have a jeep with the premium top and see what you think about the contrast to yours. I agree with the other response that for me, the uppers are only on when it rains or is cold out. So my uppers are usually only on for a little while and then right back in the bag.

Oh, and I believe the manual says you shouldn't use them below 40 deg. F. So I assume you would not run with them year round.
thats mostly for the same reason you shouldn’t touch your soft top windows below 40 degrees. Gotta let them warm up or else bad things can happen that’ll leave you without them.

Sponsored

brennaman

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 WK 2014 JK, 2021 JLR snazzberry
Occupation
damn near retired
When I picture a jeep in my head, it is a 2 door with half doors. Nothing else. I bought my TJ off the lot, and it had a hard top, so full doors. Looked for half doors, (didn't look too hard) but just never found any, so was stuck with my full doors. I don't even like the look of the soft top when it is down. Just never cared for the big pile of top laying back there. Not to mention, my dog can't jump over that big heap to get in the back. Since my Jeep is a 3rd vehicle, I take the top off in May, put the half doors on, and have never used the windows on my half doors. It will stay in summer mode till Nov., at what time I will put the full doors and hard top back on.
I think my generation look at the 4 door and full size doors as more of a "different" look. Half doors are what I consider the "norm".
I have a neighbor that never even thought of having a Jeep, but out of the blue, traded in her Toyota camry for a 4 door wrangler. When she brought it home, we got to talking, and she said she always loved the look of my Jeep, and thought it looked fun. But she did say my 2 door looked too short. When she became interested in Jeeps, the 4 door was more prevalent. And when I got rid of my TJ, and got my JL, she looked at my half doors and did not know what to think of them.
I know people that had Tj's, or Yj's, or older Jeeps that were daily drivers with half doors. Some came to hate the half doors and wanted full doors and a hard top. Winter in a Yj, soft top, and half doors can become uncomfortable. But in my mind, a Jeep with half doors is the norm, and I love mine.
Jeep Wrangler JL Honest Question: What's the big deal with half doors? jee
Sponsored