Sponsored

Honest Feedback Requested 6 Speed Manul

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
1300+ miles, no complaints. It’s very very smooth and more car like than truck like. I find that 5th and 6th gears are really for only high speeds though as I understand them both to be overdrives. The clutch is super light.
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
We like ours. Only thing annoying is when slowing down for a stop light if you’re going very fast at all and try to get it in first in preparation for the green it might try and grind a bit. Come to nearly a stop and it goes in fine.

When we ordered my wife’s she wanted an auto

Brett
If I want to slow down I go to 2nd. I only go to first at a dead stop.

I still don't love first gear on the manual. But otherwise I really like it.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
If I want to slow down I go to 2nd. I only go to first at a dead stop.

I still don't love first gear on the manual. But otherwise I really like it.
I’ve never driven a manual car and only driven trucks. Every one of them had a short first, I’m so programmed to think that’s normal that I love it. It gets me going till 2k and then I shift to 2nd

Brett

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
21k miles on my JL now and I love it more than ever. My JK got a new (FCA reman) NSG 370 and it is better than the original, and I enjoy it, but the Aisin setup in the JL is better in every way. Think dump truck vs. Camaro. The only thing I'd change about the Aisin would be the top gear ratios. I'd rather have the ratios the JK Pentastar had, but that isn't a huge deal. I actually like the low first gear. It works well with 35's and takes off like a bat out of hell and in low, it feels like it would climb a cliff, even at idle!

My first NSG 370 in my 08 JK had several issues, but none were horrible. It had a big squeak at 14k miles that was fixed under warranty. It then began popping out of third gear and would slam into my hand. It could have caused injury to someone with weak hands/wrists. They did a major repair and fixed that. I then lost the slave cylinder 10 miles after leaving for a big trip to Moab in spring of 2015. I speed shifted all the way to Kansas City and lucked into a dealership open on a Saturday morning. Two hours, $300 bucks, and a new slave cylinder later, they had me on the road. It performed perfectly in Moab. Then, at around 110k miles, it started making all kinds of rattling noises in 1st gear going uphill, and started popping out of 3rd about once a month, although in a much gentler way. At 116, I took it in and asked if they could fix those things (I have a lifetime warranty) and they came back and said the rattle was the clutch and that the popping out of gear required full replacement. It would have been liveable and I probably would have gotten another 20k to 30k out of the original clutch, but they insisted on replacing it under warranty, so why not? I went ahead and had them replace the clutch which saved me about $300 or $400 in labor, since they had it out anyway. The new reman NSG370 has been flawless and works like they originally should have. I've got about 16k miles on the new unit, so it is still early, but I was told that it was the latest version with all the updates and fixes, so it makes sense. It shifts like a truck, which is fine. It is a Jeep, after all, but it is really funny to go from it to the JL and back. To say it is a night and day difference is an understatement. The clutch, throw, and shifting are all just so smooth in the JL.

My JL manual, btw, had to be in the very first production batch. They appear to have nailed it right from the start, as I've had zero issues. I just changed the ATF+4 fluid right at 20k and it may only be in my head, but I'd swear it is even smoother now.

That reminds me....The NSG370 is also noisy. You can hear gear whine under certain conditions. I don't hear any of that in the JL. Also, if you really want some fun, stick a Magnaflow axle-back exhaust on it. It makes music going through the gears. My kids are always asking me to punch it so they can hear it, Lol!

Sponsored

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
Everything is good. As noted, completely different feel from a JK. Almost a sporty JL trans.

Go drive one, you’ll be sold on it

Hydroboy35th

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve had several manuals (some good, some bad) and the JL 6spd is good. You won’t be disappointed.

OP
OP

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
Thanks for the feedback all!

I stopped by the closest dealer on my way back to see if they had any on the lot. They had a couple but none of the people that worked there seemed to be interested in walking from the dealership ALLLLLLLL the way across their massive lot to where the few JL manual 2 doors were.

I'm gonna go drive the one I found online tomorrow. Its just a bit out of the way so I didn't go tonight.

For those suggesting the auto, I know the 8 speed is fantastic. Had the heavier version in my 1500 ecodiesel. If I don't like the JL, I'll probably be looking to go back to a 1500 and buy a beater YJ to slap a 5.9l Magnum in for the trails..

MandKM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘73 CJ5, ‘19 2-door JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

All in all the transmission shifts well and the clutch is smooth. It works great in 4low, but has a propensity to stall in 4hi, especially in reverse. I’ll admit, I’m accustomed to the low end torque in my CJ, so I’m not used to babying the JL.

I occasionally experience the bucking and surging as well. It always occurs in first gear at low speed - usually on a slight incline, like my driveway unfortunately. I learned to drive in a standard transmission and all my cars since have had a stick, so I’m sure I’ve picked up a few bad habits. Perhaps @OldGuyNewJeep can enlighten me (and others) on how to prevent the bucking and surging. As mentioned by others in this post, it is very annoying - especially when the neighbors are watching! ;-)

Sponsored

r-d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 2-door
I had a 2015 JK for only 8 months. The primary reason I sold it was how terrible the manual was. I also had a Honda Accord V6 manual at the time. I recently test drove the JL in manual and loved it, and ordered one right away.

Best comparison:

JK manual: like a dump truck
JL manual: like a sports car

For the first 1,000km, the transmission felt a bit tight but now that it's broken in, I shift like I did in my Accord :) Obviously the Jeep isn't a sports car, but the shifting is buttery smooth and livable as a daily driver.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
6sp with 26000+ miles. Have had zero issues on or off road. Off road I experimented having a tazer. I have used winch mode on some steeper technical grades- (slightly elevated rpms) and winch mode off- 4WL, 1st gear, ,, ,this thing is basically point and shoot and unstoppable not touching any pedal. Of course I can roll normal and work the pedals. Most of the time I simply steer and that's it. Anyone I have had in this Jeep is completely blown away at it's capabilities.

offset_98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1993 Nissan 300ZX, 2015 Subaru Outback, 2011 Toyota Sienna
Love mine so far. Only time i've stalled it is when I'm trying to reverse into the garage, sneaking it in between the side of the garage and the wife's car when she encroaches onto my side. Otherwise, it's been great. In normal driving, I only use 1st to move off of a light. Otherwise, I try to keep it in 2nd as I slow down and traffic crawls b/c 1st is really short. I've also learned that take up on the clutch is relatively high up so I don't have issues bucking or stalling in traffic. I will say though, having driven the Z for the first time since pulling it out of storage and owning the Jeep, I made the comment to my wife this weekend that back to back, anyone with an appendage hanging off the lower left side of their torso could drive the Z compared to the Jeep - it takes some getting used to but once used to it, it's a non-issue.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
I like it. I drove the JKU manual with the old 3.8L for ten years.

Here's what I don't like first:
- 1st gear is really short.
- The clutch pedal has a relatively small distance between not engaged and fully engaged. After a year I'm still jerking forward sometimes after lifting up too quickly. This also doesn't play nice with the relatively low torque the 3.6L has at < 1300 rpms. Sometimes I still stall trying to smooth my way into first without revving much. (That way easy on the JK/3.8L.)
- With the warm weather and the top town, I can hear a light clank as it goes into each gear (really minor thing).

Here's what I like:
- Super smooth switching gears.
- Great ratios and ratios between ratios. I love the tall high gears.
- I really don't hear it like I did the NSG. Very quiet (other than what I said above).
- Short throw. I never really had an issue with the NSG - I measured only 7-8 inches 3rd and 4th. But this one is even less.
- Light touch.

It's a different beast entirely.
yes , you have pretty much described my experience , in my opinion it is not as easy as VW shifting and those that have never driven manual tranny may be struggling with this one , the engine needs some rpm for the 1st otherwise it just stalls. There is I think way too much inactive play in the clutch pedal at the bottom and it takes time to feel the clutch active zone , who knows maybe mine is little different
Sponsored