Sponsored

Homemade rocksliders

Littleredjl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 door jl
Hey guys and girls new here I have a 2020 2dr sport and I’m wanting to build a set of rocksliders for it just curious if anyone has done this and how they made the mounts to bolt to the body mount.

4C89D126-5D4E-411C-A72A-814163D19808.jpeg
Sponsored

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
First, nice looking rig!

There are two basic types of sliders when it comes to their mounting positions.
One type of sliders mount to the pinch weld. The second type mounts to the body bolts.
Both have advantages and disadvantages.

For my rig, a slider with a step was a desirable feature.
The step would also add a degree of separation between a rock or tree and the paint.
Could not find really a good made in USA slider that I liked, but there was an oversees one that seemed OK.

Jeep Wrangler JL Homemade rocksliders IMG_9123.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Homemade rocksliders IMG_9203
Jeep Wrangler JL Homemade rocksliders IMG_3192

If one is going to put a long arm lift in the back, it is tricky to find/modify a body mount slider and not have it hit the rear brackets of the slider. The bracket for the slider in the picture above has been modified slightly.

Besides being a step/slider, it also helps to keep the mud off the side of the rig (i.e., saving the paint).
The bars on the bottom of the slider also help to protect the frame, as shown in the picture below and the big rock scrape.

Jeep Wrangler JL Homemade rocksliders IMG_0313.JPG

Going forward, one of the hopes is to make my own sliders, as I am sure these oversees one will rust in time. The DIY ones would be similar to the ones already on the JLR

If one is going to install body mount sliders, be sure to heat up the body bolts before removing the bolts. Don't use an impact wrench. Go slow and use a long bar and a good socket. Need to loosen a bit, then tighten back a bit to loosen up the red Loctite.

Last edited:

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Here is a couple of pictures of the modified rear brackets for the sliders so they play nice with the long arms.

Jeep Wrangler JL Homemade rocksliders IMG_9916 (1)
Jeep Wrangler JL Homemade rocksliders IMG_9917

OP
OP
Littleredjl

Littleredjl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 door jl
First, nice looking rig!

There are two basic types of sliders when it comes to their mounting positions.
One type of sliders mount to the pinch weld. The second type mounts to the body bolts.
Both have advantages and disadvantages.

For my rig, a slider with a step was a desirable feature.
The step would also add a degree of separation between a rock or tree and the paint.
Could not find really a good made in USA slider that I liked, but there was an oversees one that seemed OK.

If one is going to put a long arm lift in the back, it is tricky to find/modify a body mount slider and not have it hit the rear brackets of the slider. The bracket for the slider in the picture above has been modified slightly.

Besides being a step/slider, it also helps to keep the mud off the side of the rig (i.e., saving the paint).
The bars on the bottom of the slider also help to protect the frame, as shown in the picture below and the big rock scrape.

Going forward, one of the hopes is to make my own sliders, as I am sure these oversees one will rust in time. The DIY ones would be similar to the ones already on the JLR

If one is going to install body mount sliders, be sure to heat up the body bolts before removing the bolts. Don't use an impact wrench. Go slow and use a long bar and a good socket. Need to loosen a bit, then tighten back a bit to loosen up the red Loctite.
That is perfect thank you shouldn’t be too bad to make some brackets to mount to the body mounts I don’t really want to mount how the rubi rails mount to the pinch weld

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
That is perfect thank you shouldn’t be too bad to make some brackets to mount to the body mounts I don’t really want to mount how the rubi rails mount to the pinch weld
Looking good! What lift and tire size are you rocking?