First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Granite
Occupation
Healthcare
I know that I am different so no one needs to remind me.
But, I hate the fact that the ignition has to be on to operate the Homelink garage door opener.
Being that I will never park my Jeep right outside of my garage I rewired it to always be on.
Pretty simple and reversible 5 minute fix with the yellow wire military spliced into the red wire on the visor. You have to clip the yellow wire and attach the visor end to the red wire. This splice is reversible and very secure. Insulate the unsused yellow end and rewrap with tape.

The crazy part is many years ago I did just the opposite fix so no one could use the opener with the key off, for security reasons.

IMG_0097.JPG

IMG_0100.JPG

IMG_0102.JPG
Sponsored

cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Yup, pretty slick. 4 T25 screws out, your fix, back in and done!

OP
OP
jericbarg

jericbarg

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Granite
Occupation
Healthcare
It is also a great place to connect dash cam since the yellow(ignition) wire is no longer used.

alphalife9

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
It is also a great place to connect dash cam since the yellow(ignition) wire is no longer used.
I think this "side effect" might be even better than the mod itself. There's so many things you could hook up to that ignition wire! Nicely done.

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
But, I hate the fact that the ignition has to be on to operate the Homelink garage door opener.
Being that I will never park my Jeep right outside of my garage I rewired it to always be on.
Pretty simple and reversible 5 minute fix with the yellow wire military spliced into the red wire on the visor. You have to clip the yellow wire and attach the visor end to the red wire. This splice is reversible and very secure. Insulate the unsused yellow end and rewrap with tape.

The crazy part is many years ago I did just the opposite fix so no one could use the opener with the key off, for security reasons.

IMG_0097.JPG

IMG_0100.JPG

IMG_0102.JPG
I like the fact that someone can break in the jeep and hit the home link button and open the garage. is that right the key has to be on for the home link button to open my garage ? I will be glad when they finally come out with the hood lock like i have on my JK .now that way someone cant just open the hood or any reason. I know last year they had a problem with jeep battery's getting stolen a lot. heck their like 150 a piece

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
First post ! Figured it ought to be a "Thank you" for this info. I'm wiring in a radar detector (visor mount) and this is a perfect place to tap into the power. --- Granite Sport, picked it up last Saturday when we stopped in for an oil change on our Liberty. There it was on the showroom floor and ...... hey, stuff happens. :)

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I like the fact that someone can break in the jeep and hit the home link button and open the garage. is that right the key has to be on for the home link button to open my garage ? I will be glad when they finally come out with the hood lock like i have on my JK .now that way someone cant just open the hood or any reason. I know last year they had a problem with jeep battery's getting stolen a lot. heck their like 150 a piece
So they did or didn't open the garage with the Homelink? And all they did was steal the battery or did they get in your garage and I know what you're talking about I saw that last year people getting batteries stolen all the time. I have the hood lock too on my JK great feature its keyed with my door key. They have the part number available it's just not made I guess

STOMPEEZ

First Name
Renegade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
So they did or didn't open the garage with the Homelink? And all they did was steal the battery or did they get in your garage and I know what you're talking about I saw that last year people getting batteries stolen all the time. I have the hood lock too on my JK great feature its keyed with my door key. They have the part number available it's just not made I guess

IMG_0097.JPG

IMG_0100.JPG

IMG_0102.JPG

STOMPEEZ

First Name
Renegade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Thank You. I am so happy for this forum. I have been using many four letter words over the HomeLink only working when the car is running or the ignition is turned to ON.

I have a FAVOR to ask since you seem pretty good with this stuff.

Any idea how to get the two main dome lights and the four map lights to be brighter. The factory ones barely illuminate inside the Jeep to see anything?

Sponsored

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I see no difference in having homelink on continuously, versus the old days when everyone had their garage remote clipped to their visor.

With the old way someone could bust your window at the grocery store and rob your house while you shop.

I’ll be doing this mod immediately upon delivery.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
OP
OP
jericbarg

jericbarg

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Granite
Occupation
Healthcare
My red wire stays hot all the time.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
My red wire stays hot all the time.
Interesting..your vanity lights on the visor never turn off (my (perhaps incorrect) benchmark)? Maybe it's a Uconnect configurable thing with the doors. Did you change this in UConnect settings?

I'd love to tap this red wire for my dash cam rather than run cable back to the cig lighter in the cargo area, which by factory default is always energized.

Last edited:

vilacr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL
Interesting..your vanity lights on the visor never turn off (my (perhaps incorrect) benchmark)? Maybe it's a Uconnect configurable thing with the doors. Did you change this in UConnect settings?

I'd love to tap this red wire for my dash cam rather than run cable back to the cig lighter in the cargo area, which by factory default is always energized.
Have you installed your dash came with this method?
Sponsored