Home Oil Change on 2.0 Turbo-dipstick reads high

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
Thanks again for all the help. Will probably drain it out tomorrow and do a clean oil change and just put in 4qrts and go from there.
Yea, to be really on the safe side, just drain the oil and refill, put in 3.5 quarts, and check it. The filter usually holds about a .3 to .4 of a quart. Put in 3.5 and check it cold. If you're at the top, start it and wait and recheck. I will say that when I do the changes, I usually have oil left over in those 5qt containers you get when you buy oil. That means, for sure, this thing uses less than 5.

It's weird the habits you develop working in a shop. We changed oil frequently on all kinds of models and if there was a sticker on the hood we used it as a guide, but if not we just did the method I posted, started low, checked it to make sure it was between the top and bottom marks (which usually correspond to 1qt total) and went from there. We never looked up capacities. It would take too long and those jobs only pay like .4 of an hour. The bottom line is it needs to be filled and at the top dot when at operating temperature. Focus on that more than what number is on a sticker.

I never blew up an engine doing that method in a decade of service. I DID however blow up an engine when I was still in automotive college, working on a Sunday and trying to do 3 cars at once. A warranty job got an oil change added to it mid-job, I drained it and forgot to fill it. Let's just say I had a very fun time tearing that engine down to the crankshaft and rebuilding it for free. The upside was, after that, I had all these old timers asking me about the new engine because I was the only one in the shop to date that had rebuilt one. Trial by fire=)
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
This thread is laughable at best..

Nonsensical fooling with the dipstick at oil change time..... trying to interpret the dipstick, etc.. Adding less then called for and adding and re-dipsticking, etc..

IF FCA says the engine uses 5 qts., at oil change you drain the oil out, install a new filter and put 5 qts in and be done with it.

It is not necessary to fruck around with the dipstick...

5 qts. in is 5 qts in play... you do not need a dipstick at oil change time to tell you that.

Sure it is wise/prudent to know where full is on the dipstick.... but at oil change time no need to fool with the dipstick like being spewed in this thread.

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Nonsensical fooling with the dipstick at oil change time..... trying to interpret the dipstick, etc.. Adding less then called for and adding and re-dipsticking, etc..

IF FCA says the engine uses 5 qts., at oil change you drain the oil out, install a new filter and put 5 qts in and be done with it.

5 qts. in is 5 qts in play... you do not need a dipstick at oil change time to tell you that.

Sure it is wise/prudent to know where full is on the dipstick.... but at oil change time no need to fool with the dipstick like being spewed in this thread.
FCA's manual doesn't say anything related to the spec of the oil regarding oil changes. It lists the spec in the chart, but does say the following:

Jeep Wrangler JL Home Oil Change on 2.0 Turbo-dipstick reads high 1621204137756

If you want to drain your oil, dump in 5qts, and not check it - go for it. It's your Jeep. I'm happy following the manual like a good little sheep.

Though - in the spirit of a laugh, I do think I would genuinely get a kick out of a manufacturer that wrote "The dipstick is there for sissies. Don't fruck around with it. Dump in 5qts and send it!" =)

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Speaking of this, every now and again we'd have someone double-fill a vehicle because they were working too fast. Wasn't often...maybe once or twice a year but the smoke show was rad.

Bumps Ahead

First Name
Valerie & Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ontherocks4x4.org
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Happy Wife, Happy Life....
Vehicle Showcase
I appreciate the thoughtful info shared…..some will dump in 5 and be done, some will enjoy taking the time to nail a spot “between the hatchmarks”….you both nailed it 😉

Sponsored

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I get what you're saying. The reason I was suggesting what I did was the guy a few posts back was ending up, for whatever reason, with oil above the top line. I'm not sure what he was doing - I wasn't obviously in his garage, but I figured I'd tell them how I do it to make sure that doesn't happen in the one way I know for sure it wont.

Regarding it being sensical - I actually think it makes sense for one important reason: I don't wanna crawl under the vehicle again. =) If I fill it with a prescribed amount, and it's overfilled as the previous poster states, I have to drain it from the bottom. It does say overfilling it is bad in the manual, so that's something I wanna avoid. Again, is a little bit overfilled gonna blow up the engine? Nah. I like doing things exactly, though, and that's my prerogative.

When I worked as a tech, our oil guns were, well..."pretty accurate" lol. Even if yoi knew the spec, sometimes they were off. It was always better to underfill slightly than overfill slightly for the same reason - one is quickly fixed from the top. I always went for exact because lots of customers (rightly so) check their oil right in the parking lot. If it's not spot on you risk getting a come-back that screwed your fixed first visit rating and could cost you a raise.

By filling it up to say, 3.5 or so quarts, checking it to see that it's within the range of the stick, starting the engine to fill the filter, filling it up a bit more and checking it hot, I avoid overfilling it and having to get down there and let more out. Does it take a little longer? Depends on how fast you are at draining an overfill/guessing how much to let out. I'd rather do the bottom end, clean it up, and then do the rest from the top.

To each their own. =)

Last edited:

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I’m here right at 35k now and checked my oil a few days ago. A week before I stupidly got suckered in to “you have two free oil changes and if you don’t use them before 36k you lose them.” I was getting close to being due and the service dept had treated my Jeep well before so I let them change the oil.

The asshole tech got wet oil marks on the door handle, steering wheel, interior door grab handle, shifter, console….and footprints on my Genright bumper from standing on the M’fr like my Jeep is that tall. I used humor to smooth over my gut instincts to be completely Frank about the asshole lol. I called them twice. First about the interior, then about the 1k bumper and 2k winch step stool. “Jerry, the guy’s trying to push me over the edge!.”

Last Friday I thought I should check the oil. Yep, it was overfilled…past the v bend section over an inch past the full mark. I used a deep 13 mm as a handle on the drain plug to loosen and then control the flow of oil past it keeping it to a string of oil coming out until I removed a quart. It took about 5-6 minutes of actual drain time this way to get it to the crosshatch marks. So the “tech” is inept, obviously, but I wonder if there’s machine they use that could contribute to this overfill issue.

OP
OP
Walter_Mustang

Walter_Mustang

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Willys Sport 4 door
I get what you're saying. The reason I was suggesting what I did was the guy a few posts back was ending up, for whatever reason, with oil above the top line. I'm not sure what he was doing - I wasn't obviously in his garage, but I figured I'd tell them how I do it to make sure that doesn't happen in the one way I know for sure it wont.

Regarding it being sensical - I actually think it makes sense for one important reason: I don't wanna crawl under the vehicle again. =) If I fill it with a prescribed amount, and it's overfilled as the previous poster states, I have to drain it from the bottom. It does say overfilling it is bad in the manual, so that's something I wanna avoid. Again, is a little bit overfilled gonna blow up the engine? Nah. I like doing things exactly, though, and that's my prerogative.

When I worked as a tech, our oil guns were, well..."pretty accurate" lol. Even if yoi knew the spec, sometimes they were off. It was always better to underfill slightly than overfill slightly for the same reason - one is quickly fixed from the top. I always went for exact because lots of customers (rightly so) check their oil right in the parking lot. If it's not spot on you risk getting a come-back that screwed your fixed first visit rating and could cost you a raise.

By filling it up to say, 3.5 or so quarts, checking it to see that it's within the range of the stick, starting the engine to fill the filter, filling it up a bit more and checking it hot, I avoid overfilling it and having to get down there and let more out. Does it take a little longer? Depends on how fast you are at draining an overfill/guessing how much to let out. I'd rather do the bottom end, clean it up, and then do the rest from the top.

To each their own. =)
Thanks again for all the help. Went ahead and did another oil change using the method JohnnyJ suggested. Instead of buying a 5 qrt bottle I bought 5 1 quart bottles to be precise. Started Jeep at 3.5 quarts to cycle and then shut off. It was right at the bottom dot. Slowly added 1 qrt (4.5 quarts total) boom precisely on the top dot. Looks like my Jeep 2.0 turbo takes 4.5 quarts with a Mopar filter. To nervous to take into dealer and hope they get it right. Thanks again for the help!

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I had the same thing happen on my 2.0T. Heard all these stories of service depts overfilling and my dipstick made it look way overfilled. I changed it myself last weekend, Mopar filter and 5 quarts exactly, and the dipstick looks exactly like it did before.

Tell me if I'm wrong but even if 4.5 is the right amount, I wouldn't think the extra half quart would do any damage.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had the same thing happen on my 2.0T. Heard all these stories of service depts overfilling and my dipstick made it look way overfilled. I changed it myself last weekend, Mopar filter and 5 quarts exactly, and the dipstick looks exactly like it did before.

Tell me if I'm wrong but even if 4.5 is the right amount, I wouldn't think the extra half quart would do any damage.
@DHW

It take 5 qts. per FCA. Put in 5 qts. and be done with it. No, a 1/2 extra would do no harm.

Sponsored

tk1700

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Altitude, 2021 JLUR, 2016 Tundra
I've found that with 5 qts in AND following the procedure listed in the owners manual (checking the level 5 minutes after a warmed up engine has been shut off) the level is between the hash marks, usually near the top one. If I wait 30 minutes or longer more oil has drained into the pan and the level will be higher.

When I did my first oil and filter change I put in a 5 qt jug of oil. I ran the engine til it was at operating temp and shut it off. I waited 5 minutes and the level was about 3/4s of the way above the lower hash mark.

I let the Jeep sit over night and checked it the next morning. It was about an inch above the top hash mark. I put a dimple in the dipstick where the level was just to have another reference point and to satisfy my OCD.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've found that with 5 qts in AND following the procedure listed in the owners manual (checking the level 5 minutes after a warmed up engine has been shut off) the level is between the hash marks, usually near the top one. If I wait 30 minutes or longer more oil has drained into the pan and the level will be higher.

When I did my first oil and filter change I put in a 5 qt jug of oil. I ran the engine til it was at operating temp and shut it off. I waited 5 minutes and the level was about 3/4s of the way above the lower hash mark.

I let the Jeep sit over night and checked it the next morning. It was about an inch above the top hash mark. I put a dimple in the dipstick where the level was just to have another reference point and to satisfy my OCD.
@tk1700

I did similar when I did my first oil change on the JL.... Did oil change ...using exactly, 5 quarts and did not check dipstick. Did run the JL after the oil change for about 10 mins. and then shut it down.

Next morning before starting the JL, I pulled the dipstick and put a dimple where the oil level was.
Now, when I want to check my oil level, I do in the morning before the JL is started and see where the oil level is in regard to the dimple I placed.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I did my 2.0 recently with 5 quarts and it's about 1/2" above full too after sitting overnight. That's also where it was from the factory after sitting overnight. Don't worry about it.