Home Oil Change on 2.0 Turbo-dipstick reads high

Walter_Mustang

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Willys Sport 4 door
2021 Willys 2.0 Turbo- have read all the horror stories about dealer oil changes so I decided to do it myself. Very easy and simple without any issues. 5 qrts. Of Penzoil Platinum 5w-30 and Mopar MO-339 filter. I drained completely with a slow drip before putting the drain plug back in. After the Jeep has set for a few hours it’s 1/2 inch above the fill line on the dipstick. I feel fine about the oil change but the level is leaving me with doubt. Have checked hot and cold and still high. Any help appreciated.
Sponsored

Konamonster

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon - Had 2018 JLU Sahara
I have a 2021 Rubicon 2.0 Turbo and currently have and checked the original fill from delivery. Reads about 1/2" above the fill line on the dipstick. Not sure if it has 5L or 6L oil in it, but curious. Feel better about it now if you are getting the same with your verified 5L fill.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
2021 Willys 2.0 Turbo- have read all the horror stories about dealer oil changes so I decided to do it myself. Very easy and simple without any issues. 5 qrts. Of Penzoil Platinum 5w-30 and Mopar MO-339 filter. I drained completely with a slow drip before putting the drain plug back in. After the Jeep has set for a few hours it’s 1/2 inch above the fill line on the dipstick. I feel fine about the oil change but the level is leaving me with doubt. Have checked hot and cold and still high. Any help appreciated.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/2-0-dipstick-and-oil-level-reading.25349/

Konamonster

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon - Had 2018 JLU Sahara
Sorry, meant 5 qts not L.
I have a 2021 Rubicon 2.0 Turbo and currently have and checked the original fill from delivery. Reads about 1/2" above the fill line on the dipstick. Not sure if it has 5L or 6L oil in it, but curious. Feel better about it now if you are getting the same with your verified 5L fill.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Walter_Mustang

Walter_Mustang

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That makes me feel better too…have to admit…I was so excited to change the oil I didn’t check the level before I did it.

OP
OP
Walter_Mustang

Walter_Mustang

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I might have figured out the issue. When I depress the dipstick all the way in, it reads higher. When I insert the dipstick in the tube and stop at the start of the yellow handle, it’s perfect and shows full. Not sure if this is a design flaw but I’ve always depressed the dipstick all the way in. Any thoughts…?

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I would think the dip stick should go in as far as possible to prevent any vacuum leak?

This is on the 4xe but I think it's the exact same engine. I just checked mine, it's about 3 weeks out of the factory with 500 miles, around 280 miles on gas. The engine was cold and the oil was about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way from the top of the hatch mark to the bend. It looked overfilled to me. If I were eyeing it, I'd have probably shorted it half a quart.

I did notice something weird. The oil was clear to the eye, but it stained the towel with what looked like graphite that I couldn't see in the oil. I've never checked oil on an engine that new before. So I don't know if that's normal.

OP
OP
Walter_Mustang

Walter_Mustang

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would think the dip stick should go in as far as possible to prevent any vacuum leak?

This is on the 4xe but I think it's the exact same engine. I just checked mine, it's about 3 weeks out of the factory with 500 miles, around 280 miles on gas. The engine was cold and the oil was about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way from the top of the hatch mark to the bend. It looked overfilled to me. If I were eyeing it, I'd have probably shorted it half a quart.

I did notice something weird. The oil was clear to the eye, but it stained the towel with what looked like graphite that I couldn't see in the oil. I've never checked oil on an engine that new before. So I don't know if that's normal.
The engine was off and I inserted the dipstick to the yellow handle and it was perfect. Of course I pushed it in all the way after I measured. Just not sure why it is like this. For sure put in 5qrts and used Mopar oil filter.

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
The oil level should be at the top of the dipstick when hot, and the vehicle has been shut off for 5 minutes on level ground. If you fill to the top of the stick cold, it's gonna raise above the top mark when it's checked hot.

Here's how I do it:

1. Drain all oil and remove filter, let both areas drain until drip stops.
2. Hand Fill filter as much as I can with clean oil, screw it on.
3. Replace drain plug and fill engine, put about 4.5 quarts in.
4. Start engine, let it run for 30 seconds to fully bleed out the system.
5. Turn it off, let it sit and check the oil. If needed, add another 1/4 quart until I'm maybe 2-3mm below the top line of the dipstick.
6. As the manual states, let the engine run to full operating temperature - long enough that all the new oil has been cycling for a few minutes and has raised up to temp. Shut off the engine, sip on a beer for 5 minutes, and check it again. It's usually dead center on the top dot. If it's still low, I add in a tiny bit at a time until it's right on the money.

The oil capacities are specifications only - that dipstick is the real guide. If you're slightly above the top line of the dipstick when hot, you've *slightly* too much in there. Is it gonna blow your seals? Probably not but these little 2.0s really push some oil pressure. I like keepin mine right at that top dot, no higher, at full temp.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Walter_Mustang

Walter_Mustang

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The oil level should be at the top of the dipstick when hot, and the vehicle has been shut off for 5 minutes on level ground. If you fill to the top of the stick cold, it's gonna raise above the top mark when it's checked hot.

Here's how I do it:

5. Turn it off, let it sit and check the oil. If needed, add another 1/4 quart until I'm maybe 2-3mm below the top line of the dipstick.
6. As the manual states, let the engine run to full operating temperature - long enough that all the new oil has been cycling for a few minutes and has raised up to temp. Shut off the engine, sip on a beer for 5 minutes, and check it again. It's usually dead center on the top dot. If it's still low, I add in a tiny bit at a time until it's right on the money.

The oil capacities are specifications only - that dipstick is the real guide. If you're slightly above the top line of the dipstick when hot, you've *slightly* too much in there. Is it gonna blow your seals? Probably not but these little 2.0s really push some oil pressure. I like keepin mine right at that top dot, no higher, at full temp.
I probably should have done 4.5 and checked it then. Just seemed like 5 qrts over filled it.

OP
OP
Walter_Mustang

Walter_Mustang

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Here's how I do it:

Would it be usual if the 2.0 took only 4 qrts???

OP
OP
Walter_Mustang

Walter_Mustang

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have emptied a half a quart and it’s still above the line…not as bad as the whole 5 qrts. If I emptied another half (1qrt total), looks like it would be spot on. So confused!

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
Honestly - I don't know. The reason being is, like I said, I add in oil in a way that I finish at the top of the dipstick. I worked as a tech for 10 years and the only models I ever noticed that were spot on the money as far as oil change specs were old 1.6 liter civics. Always go by what the dipstick is telling you, it will never lie. =)

OP
OP
Walter_Mustang

Walter_Mustang

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honestly - I don't know. The reason being is, like I said, I add in oil in a way that I finish at the top of the dipstick. I worked as a tech for 10 years and the only models I ever noticed that were spot on the money as far as oil change specs were old 1.6 liter civics. Always go by what the dipstick is telling you, it will never lie. =)
Thanks again for all the help. Will probably drain it out tomorrow and do a clean oil change and just put in 4qrts and go from there.
Sponsored