Holy... Dual Rigid Side Shooter Spots on A-Pillar

shmpls

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, BMW M4
Just got my two pairs of Rigid D-SS Pro spots (model #262213) and got them mounted up on the Artec Industries dual a pillar mount (http://www.artecindustries.com/JL_Single_LED_Apillar). Install was super easy, probably took about 90 minutes but only because I was meticulous about the wiring.

Originally I had intended to do a mix of spot + driving on each side to get better coverage. Getting the lights was a huge PITA, had one Amazon vendor no-ship a set, and another vendor send the wrong lights, so it took 4 orders to get the 2 pair of lights and ended up getting two pairs of spots once the dust settled.

I just went out and found some completely dark open stretches of road, and holy hell, I was blown away.

Not only do 4 forward facing spots throw a beam a long way, the coverage is blanketing. I expected more of a gap in the short range, but it is pretty much daylight from ten feet in front of the bumper to as far as you can see with no hot spots. And with two sets of side shooters, that is 6 side facing led's on each side, it is complete daylight from the front quarterpanel out on each side.

EDIT: Pics attached of both side shooter and front facing. Disclosure, I adjusted the exposure after the fact to compensate for my iphone camera light meter. The halogens are so dim, the iphone turns the light sensitivity way up, and the Rigid were so bright it dials it way back. These pics after the slight adjustment represent very accurately what I was seeing with my eyes.

One thing to note, the lights are rated at 3.36 amps so I took a chance putting all 4 of them on the 15a aux switch, but it blew the fuse pretty quickly, so I swapped it over to the 40a Aux 1 and have had no problems.

Also, make sure you are buying them in pairs. Some of the vendors on Amazon sell two, but it is two individual
lights which have two led side shooters on both sides of each light. The true pairs come as a left and a right with three led side shooters just on one side of each light.

The part numbers for pairs are 262113 (flood), 262213 (spot) and 262313 (driving). Singles will be 262113 (driving). The same part numbers starting in 8 indicate white housings instead of black.

IMG_1265.jpg

Driver's side side shooters
IMG_1262.jpg

Stock halogen low beams + fogs
IMG_1260.jpg

Rigid cubes on (with headlights and fogs, but honestly I turned my headlights on and off a couple times and you couldn't even tell if they were on or not when the LEDs were on)
IMG_1261.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
shmpls

shmpls

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, BMW M4
love the functionality of the side shooters. the artec doesnt allow you to rotate the led correct? just up and down aiming? Also, anymore pics? Thanks
Correct, you can't rotate them, so if you wanted to get some direct side or behind coverage, they aren't a good option. For me, these are mostly 'down at the farm, country road and hunting trail' kind of lights and for that they are 10/10 rating!

Uploaded a couple more pics in the original post, btw.

ar15rifle

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 2014 Audi A4. 2015 Fiat 500C. 1970 Ford F250
I just ordered these based on your writeup! I also only want them for seeing Moose, etc on the sides of the road. We have the factory Aux switches installed and the Tazer. How hard was your wiring install?

OP
OP
shmpls

shmpls

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, BMW M4
I just ordered these based on your writeup! I also only want them for seeing Moose, etc on the sides of the road. We have the factory Aux switches installed and the Tazer. How hard was your wiring install?
Nice! Install was really simple. For the wiring, run everything over to the battery, you will find your aux wires stubbed out there. Trim the black wires and splice them together to an eyelet and attach to the ground point on the engine bay wall near the battery. Cut the reds and splice in the in-line fuses for each pair (note for the passenger side set you will have two wires for that pair but the set coming from the driver side only one. This is because the wiring kit they give you runs about 5 feet before it is spliced into a single wire pair and your passenger side lights are so close to the battery you will cut the wires prior to the join point. This will make sense when you see the wires ). From there you will have two red leads after your inline fuses. Find the bundle of wires for the aux switches between the battery and the outside wall of the engine bay and connect both your red wires to one of the 40a - I think the brown with pink stripe is aux 1. Can’t remember the stripe color but it is def the brown one.

Btw, the way rigid packs their lights inside the box is terrible. Of the three sets I got, every single one had the light pods broken out of the flimsy cardboard cradle and they were just rolling around in the box protected only by a plastic bag. Wtf.

Sponsored

caged

First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1949 CJ3a 90XJ 00XJ 97TJ 18JLR
but are you able to still fold the windshield down with these?

OP
OP
shmpls

shmpls

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, BMW M4
but are you able to still fold the windshield down with these?
No. That isn’t an issue for me, but if you need to fold the windshield, this isn’t a good choice.

ar15rifle

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 2014 Audi A4. 2015 Fiat 500C. 1970 Ford F250
Thank you for the write up/instructions! We drove early this morning to my son’s cross country meet in the dark. That was enough to learn that we definitely needed more lights. It was spitting rain and to me the halogen brights were so ineffective you couldn’t tell there were even on.

MuJaiheed

First Name
KP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Rubicon
Here is a diagram of the wiring laid out. Could you just cut after the switch and not use any of the remaining parts?
Untitled.jpg

Would this work? Theoretically the switch is powered and grounded already so you could just go straight to the lights, no?

led_cut_diagram.jpg
This is the post I followed for my install

MuJaiheed

First Name
KP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Rubicon
Correct, you can't rotate them, so if you wanted to get some direct side or behind coverage, they aren't a good option. For me, these are mostly 'down at the farm, country road and hunting trail' kind of lights and for that they are 10/10 rating!

Uploaded a couple more pics in the original post, btw.
I'm really pissed now!!! I bought the regular D2 Dually set. I want the side shooters now! I'll have to find another application for the set I bought so I can have an excuse to replace them!

Sponsored

LouNYC

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Nice! Install was really simple. For the wiring, run everything over to the battery, you will find your aux wires stubbed out there. Trim the black wires and splice them together to an eyelet and attach to the ground point on the engine bay wall near the battery. Cut the reds and splice in the in-line fuses for each pair (note for the passenger side set you will have two wires for that pair but the set coming from the driver side only one. This is because the wiring kit they give you runs about 5 feet before it is spliced into a single wire pair and your passenger side lights are so close to the battery you will cut the wires prior to the join point. This will make sense when you see the wires ). From there you will have two red leads after your inline fuses. Find the bundle of wires for the aux switches between the battery and the outside wall of the engine bay and connect both your red wires to one of the 40a - I think the brown with pink stripe is aux 1. Can’t remember the stripe color but it is def the brown one.

Btw, the way rigid packs their lights inside the box is terrible. Of the three sets I got, every single one had the light pods broken out of the flimsy cardboard cradle and they were just rolling around in the box protected only by a plastic bag. Wtf.
Great write up. I will attempt to wire mine myself after reading your post.

Something is up with Rigid Industries quality control. After mounting my lights, I realized that the wiring harness was missing. It was never packed. I had to send them proof of purchase and they are mailing me the harness.

ar15rifle

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got these wired up a couple of days ago. I love this Jeep as most things really are plug and play! We cut before the switch on the wiring harness. I ran the ground to each side, and the power I extended over to the aux switch lights (I used #3). Total time messing with wiring and bolting up the lights...maybe 30 minutes...maybe. We have the factory Aux switches so others experience may differ, but it was very easy. The difference over the halogen stock lights/brights is literally night and day.

OP
OP
shmpls

shmpls

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, BMW M4
You have all four mounted to Aux 3? Or did you just do two? My fuse blew when I had all 4 on Aux 3.

ar15rifle

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We only have one set wired up right now. They're so bright we're not sure we need a second set!

traviswalker007

First Name
Tony T Walker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Great write up. I will attempt to wire mine myself after reading your post.

Something is up with Rigid Industries quality control. After mounting my lights, I realized that the wiring harness was missing. It was never packed. I had to send them proof of purchase and they are mailing me the harness.

Just so you guys know, rigid is moving manufacturing to Mexico this year!! so I would expect alott of poor packaging and quality issues from here on out. I work for a direct supplier to Rigid so the info is legit
Sponsored